It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2001, 10:09 AM   #1
(female)

molly1 HB User
this is weird.

Hi everyone. I'm back, and I am pregnant again. Only about 11 days since conception!! I havn't been to the midwife yet, but I've taken 3 pregnancy tests(the ones that you can take before you miss your period) which all came back positive. And I feel prego too. Wish me luck, I had a miscarriage last time. But I do have a beautiful 3 year old daughter, so I know I can do it.
Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knows about uric acid levels being elevated during pregnancy. I suddenly have what appears to be gout-like symptoms in my big toe. I didn't stub it or anything. The pain came in the middle of the night, which is typical of gout. I just read some other messages in the foot disorder section and apparently it's very uncommon for a menstruating (age) woman to get gout. I am hoping it's not gout. And I'm hoping that if it is, that the uric acid levels won't hurt the developing embryo. Has anyone ever heard of this? I know it's obscure, but I thought I'd give it a try. I'll talk to my midwife about it when I make an appointment.

Old 12-21-2001, 04:57 PM   #2

Starlet HB User
Re: this is weird.

what is a midwife? Well actuallY think I know what they are.. Are they the ones who help you through your pregnancy? Is it the same as a gyno.?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2001, 07:16 PM   #3
(female)

molly1 HB User
Re: this is weird.

A midwife is a nurse who is specialized in reproduction, pregnancy, and childbirth. Many of them are nurse practitioners, which means that they have had a few more years of schooling than a nurse. Originally midwives were the ones who would come out to someone's house to help deliver a baby. They tend to view pregnancy and childbirth differently than many doctors, and that is why I chose to go to one. They tend to lean toward more natural childbirth, and are involved in the birthing process much more than many doctors. Most are women, though there are an increasing number of men joining the field. Anyway, my statements are general, of course there are other dimentions that I am not sure I can touch on because I don't know enough. All I know is I had two wonderful midwife-nurse practitioners for my (2) pregnancies, and I couldn't have been happier with the choice I made. Oh, also, they can perform small surgical proceedures like an episiotomy, but they cannot perform major surgeries like a c section. The overriding doctor has to do that. Hope this helps

------------------
Molly H

Closed Thread