It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2001, 08:17 AM   #1

jilll HB User
Slight pain left side, ectopic?

I am newly pregnant (3 weeks/the test was very faintly positive). I have been having a throbbing, not unbearable but noticable, pain in my left ovary area along with breast tenderness and nausea. All of this research that I've been doing, I thought for sure that it was ectopic! I have heard that ectopic is excruciating not dull pain and not felt that early in pregnancy. Did or does anyone else experience the slight throb in the left ovary?

Old 06-27-2001, 09:52 AM   #2

joshua's mom HB User
Re: Slight pain left side, ectopic?

I have no experince with ectopic pregnancy, But it could be a pulled Ligament. I am 5 months along and have been having them the whole time on both sides. You should call your doctor just to make sure. I will keep you in my Prayers. joshua's mom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2001, 12:07 PM   #3

attackthekat HB User

Well, Ive been experiencing some pain on my right side for about 8 weeks now, its liking a sharp shooting pain, but it only happens when I stretch in bed (even just a little bit). I dont know what it is either, but Im sure that it cant be bad. Im trying not to worry about it. I hope you fid out the cause of your problem, if you are really worried then go and see your doctor, he should put your mind at rest.

Old 06-27-2001, 12:52 PM   #4

donnahc HB User

I had an ectopic pregnancy. I never had any pain. I was around 11 weeks when I had to be operated on. However I had alot of bleeding that started around week 7. And my ectopic was in the ovary not the tube, so I don't know if that would make a difference pain wise. You are probably fine, but you may want to give your doctor's office a call to confirm. Best Wishes.

Old 06-27-2001, 02:33 PM   #5

Brookej HB User

I have only been pregnant once in my life and mine was ectopic. At the time, I already knew I had fertility problems and my husband and I had been through some testing. He checked out OK but I had endomitriosis but a test they did to check the patency of my fallopian tubes showed that the dye got all the way through both fallopian tubes and into my uterus. Anyway, I was pretty excited when my home pregnancy test turned out positive. It was a very short lived excitement - like about 24 hours.

Mine was more or less a textbook case I think. I told my husband and mother the great news and scheduled an appointment with my gynocologist. The next day (about 24 hours later) I called my sister-in-law to tell her the news. As I was talking to her I started having generalized abdominal pain that kept getting worse very quickly (basically a very sudden onset of pain). I told my sister-in-law about it and she tried to reassure me. She said all of her pregnancies were different and she had various aches and pains but never the same from one pregnancy to the next. She had 10 children so I figured she was the ultimate expert on the subject.

It didn't take long before I was writhing on the floor doubled over in pain so I told her I had to get off the phone and call my Dr. I got very hot, nauseated, and sweaty and I had to take off my clothes and cool off a bit before I was able to call my Dr. I knew my husband would be home any minute but he wasn't home yet and I put a call into my Dr. Of course, it was on a Saturday afternoon (not during office hours) but it didn't take the Dr. long to return my call. I had a gut feeling it was ectopic and it was the most severe pain I had ever experienced in my life. If my husband had not returned home shortly after I talked to my Dr., I would have called 911.

The Dr. met us in the emergency dept. and I had emergency surgery within a couple hours or less. I believe the sudden onset of pain was the rupture of my fallopian tube but I do remember having a dull, aching back pain the evening before while I was at work. I assumed that all ectopic pregnancies were like mine but I used to work with someone who had 2 ectopic pregnancies. That was after having 3 children. She had divorced and remarried but couldn't have a normal pregnancy with her second husband.

We talked about ectopic pregnancy and IVF. She said she started having spot bleeding but not lots of pain with her ectopic pregnancies. The second time, she was on vacation so she called her Dr. as soon as she got home. He did some testing and found she was having another ectopic pregnancy. I had no spot bleeding with mine - just internal bleeding. I remember my Dr. telling me on the phone (before I went to the hospital) that some women develop ovarian cysts during pregnancy which can cause pain and I had a previous history of ruptured ovarian cyst.

My co-worker had twins after trying IVF 3 times. I believe it takes about 10 days for a fertilized egg to reach the uterus and then implant and it divides the whole time. The lumen of the fallopian tube narrows at the entry point into the uterus and that is where my fertilized egg got stuck. I may have had endomitrial (sp?) tissue built up in that area because it can get in all kinds of places in the body. I believe I was about 6 weeks pregnant when my tube ruptured and the tube ruptured when the fertilized egg got too big for the tube. I did a lot of research on all of this stuff back then.

My blood test showed that I was pregnant when I went to the emergency dept. but the Dr. couldn't find the site of implantation by either pelvic or vaginal ultrasound. He said I needed emergency surgery because I was pregnant and it was definitely not a viable pregnancy. He knew it wasn't in the uterus because that would have showed up on the ultrasound so he found the ruptured site when he did the emergency surgery.

I don't know if you can have pain from an ectopic pregnancy at only 3 weeks but after what I went through I would suggest that you call your Dr. If it is ectopic, you have a better chance of preserving your fallopian tube if you find out before the tube ruptures.

Good luck. Let us know what you find out. <p>[This message has been edited by Brookej (edited 06-27-2001).]

Old 06-29-2001, 10:15 AM   #6

ladydee1979 HB User

I thought I had an ecoptic pregnancy. I had all the symptons, pain on the right side, dry bleeding, but I also had pregnancy symptoms. After forcing the doctor's to give me an early ultrasound they found out I had an cyst on my ovary but it had burst. Leaving me with the pain and the bleeding. But everything was fine. I am now 8 1/2 months pregnant. If you have to, make them give you an blood test, and an ultrasound. Good luck.

Old 06-29-2001, 11:18 AM   #7

donnahc HB User

Above I said you may want to give your doc a call, but after reading the last replys I would say definitely give your doc a call. Let us hear from you. Brookej, can you still conceive and are you trying again?

Old 06-29-2001, 03:08 PM   #8

Brookej HB User

Dear donnahc,
Thanks for asking but that was around 13-14 years ago. I had an attempted repair surgery about 4 months after the ectopic pregnancy by a reproductive endocrinologist. They can't do repair work at the time of the tubal rupture because everything is too vascular during pregnancy and too much bleeding would occur. There was not enough "good" tube left to do the pull through procedure the surgeon was hoping to do and he found endomitriosis on the ovary on the other side and in other places which he removed. Insurance covered that surgery although I don't know if it would now.

My regular GYN gave me about a 10-20% chance of being able to conceive again by normal methods. Insurance wouldn't cover IVF and we couldn't afford it back then. Even if we came up with the money for one IVF attempt, success rates on first try were low and there were other potential issues. My husband was very supportive but he is very against abortion or even the killing of a fertilized egg. I am not sure how they are doing IVF now but back then they would put all fertilized eggs into the uterus and if a lot of eggs implanted they recommended removing some of them so the remaining implanted embryos would have a chance to develop instead of losing all of them. Remember the couple a few years back where the woman gave birth to 7 babies after trying IVF because all of the fertilized eggs implanted and they did not believe in destroying life in any form?

I wanted children very badly and I am not sure how I would have dealt with the issue of removing implanted fertilized eggs. I never worked through that one in my head but I knew how my husband felt so I decided to hope for that 10-20% chance. I have never used birth control and never got pregnant again so I feel it was not meant to be. We looked into adoption but at the time a couple had to be married for a certain number of years and be under a certain age. My husband is 5 years older than I and we didn't fit the criteria.

Later, we would have been able to afford IVF but I didn't want to try much past the age of 40 because the risk for mother and child increases with age although my sister-in-law had her tenth child at the age of 42 and all of her children are fine. The IVF issues were stil there too. There is a lot to consider with IVF besides just the money.

I still feel the loss of not having children and probably always will but I remind myself that other people suffer much worse tangible losses such as losing loved ones through an accident or the worst of all (in my opinion) a brutal murder. I would be happy if I came up pregnant but probably a little freaked out at this point in time. We are not getting any younger! Some things do set off my anger like I know 2 different people who told me that they had 5 abortions in the past and they both have children now. No matter how I feel about abortion - I think 5 is excessive and unnecessary. And if these 2 women needed to tell someone about it (they admitted they didn't feel good about it) why tell me of all people! Mabey they thought someone without children would judge them less harshly - I don't know but it is not my place to judge - they have to live with what they did.

Well, here I go rattling on again - sorry. I have been thinking about it a lot lately and sometimes I just need to vent! I have had too much time to think lately because I am recovering from foot surgery I had 2&1/2 weeks ago. I can't drive yet or leave the house except for Dr. appointments but I may be able to start driving again Tuesday when the Dr. evaluates my x-rays.

Just think, if things had turned out differently I would be coping with a teenager starting puberty - then I would probably have to post and vent on another forum! We don't know if it was a boy or girl but we gave our lost embryo a boy's name. We didn't have a ceremony or anything - just gave it a name we could remember it by. To this day I don't think medical forms ask about ectopic pregnancies. They ask about stillbirths, miscarriages, and number of living children but I always have to write in the ectopic pregnancy. To me, it was very significant.

Well, you asked me a couple simple questions and I gave you an earfull! Thanks again for asking. You can see why I say if a person has any little ache, pain, or concern during pregnancy then call the Dr. It is your pregnancy and your future so cherish it and protect it. donnahc, do you have children now or are you trying? The best of luck to you if you are trying. Take care.
Brookej

<p>[This message has been edited by Brookej (edited 06-29-2001).]

Old 07-01-2001, 01:13 PM   #9

donnahc HB User

Brookej - I have 2 boys, ages 9 and 6. I am very blessed to have them and I thank God everynight for them. I too am home recovering from surgery 3 wks ago. My sister in law who is 48, has a 5 yr. old that she adopted. At age 41 she wentthru IVF with positive results from one and then miscarried. She went thru a private attorney for adoption. She was very fortunate as a lady picked her letter and chose her to adopt her unborn baby. She was able to be there with her thru labor and delivery and took the baby home the same day. So don't let age be a factor. If you want to talk more let me know and I will email you. Take Care, Donna

Jilll - what's going on now? Are you still feeling pain and did you call your doctor?

Old 07-02-2001, 07:03 PM   #10

Kimmycakes HB User

I had the same type of pain early in my pregnancy but on the right side. I was worried too, we had an ultrasound and everything was fine. The Dr. said it was more than likely stretching ligaments. It eases up eventually. All the best to you!!

Closed Thread