It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2002, 02:18 PM   #1

NINA_77 HB User
a little scared

I thought that I knew when I was ovulating, but with the use of an online ovulation calculator I discovered that I was having intercourse on two of the days I may have been ovulating. My boyfriend and I use the withdrawal method. What are my chances of being pregnant right now?

-Nina

Old 03-11-2002, 02:40 PM   #2

Lori A HB User
Re: a little scared

Hi Nina
I don't know how regular your cycles are but if they are not regular I would not trust the on-line ovulation calculator. They say you have a 25% change of getting pregnant each cycle. That is a high percent if you don't want to conceive. If you are not trying to conceive then start using birth control because the withdrawal method is not alway effective.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2002, 05:32 PM   #3
Inactive

Shaelle HB User

I don't mean to scare you, but I got pregnant twice, now, using this method. Eight years ago my boyfriend and I were using this method, and the month I got pregnant, we didn't have intercourse anytime near the dates I was expected to ovulate. I'm also pregnant now. I had my IUD removed the begining of November 2001, ovulated 2 weeks later. I didn't get pregnant that month, but then came December. I was calculating my monthly's, and had been doing so for the last year using two different online cycle calculators. Again, we didn't have sex on any day near expected ovulation, but I still go pregnant. Both of them said it was a safe day! And my cycles are pretty regular, average of 28 days. No problem, I'm overjoyed! But I did want to put it off a couple of months. Oh well, I guess there is someone higher up making those decisions.

Old 03-11-2002, 08:18 PM   #4

NINA_77 HB User

Thank you for your response. I have been told by some friends of mine not to worry so much because of the slim chances, but I can't help but to worry. I suppose if I am pregnant I will have to deal with the choice I made and I will be happy, but I am a little worried because I wasn't planning this. I am allergic to every method of birth control out there. The only thing left to try is abstinence. I guess I don't have the will power for such a method!! ;o) Again, thanks.

Old 03-11-2002, 08:20 PM   #5

NINA_77 HB User

Thank you for your response. I have been told by some friends of mine not to worry so much because of the slim chances, but I can't help but to worry. I suppose if I am pregnant I will have to deal with the choice I made and I will be happy, but I am a little worried because I wasn't planning this. I am allergic to every method of birth control out there. The only thing left to try is abstinence. I guess I don't have the will power for such a method!! ;o) Again, thanks.

Old 03-12-2002, 06:09 PM   #6
Inactive

Shaelle HB User

I can't believe you'd be allergic to an IUD. Maybe you should look into it?

Old 03-12-2002, 06:15 PM   #7

Purrbaby HB User

I understand being allergic to latex..b/c I am...but how about latex free condoms?? Are you actually allergic to both kinds?? I mean, I can't have any kind of lubricants and stuff and I don't react well to birth control pills..but I found SOMETHING that would work. Not saying you are a liar but how are you allergic to EVERYTHING??

------------------
Smile, life doesn't last that long.

Old 03-12-2002, 06:36 PM   #8

NINA_77 HB User

I know! Seems hard to believe doesn't it? Ever since I was 16 (I am 24 yrs old now) I have been trying everything I can. I always have some kind of a nasty reaction to contraceptives. I have not tried IUD because of my fear of needles (weak excuse I know) and I have seen many of my friends go through nasty problems with depo. Pills make my heart do crazy things and I just can't use condoms (latex or not). So I guess I will just have to have a back up plan if withdrawal doesn't work out for me. Thank you for all of your advise and suggestions though ;o)

Old 03-14-2002, 08:15 PM   #9
Inactive

Shaelle HB User

An IUD requires NO NEEDLES! It is inserted while you are on your period, they go through the cervix with something much like a thin straw and push the IUD through the straw like thing into place. During your period your cervix dilates making it easier to insert something through it. But let me tell you, the discomfort felt during IUD insertion is nothing compared to the discomfort experienced during childbirth. You don't get to be numb for childbirth until you are already dilated several centimeters. With IUD they can rub something on your cervix to dull the discomfort, and we are only talking maybe 1/2 a centimeter. But this doesn't last as long as 4 centimeters of dialation and pain experienced during childbirth.

I'm sorry but in my opinion, your excuses sound like you're looking to get pregnant.

Old 03-16-2002, 05:48 PM   #10

Purrbaby HB User

I am terrified of needles too but I went with the depo shot and here I am preg. as most everyone here.(I was on antibiotics..forgot the condom one time..oh well) Pills make my heart crazy too. I am allergic to a lot of things..penicillin, latex, the stuffing in pillows and matresses. I just don't understand how you are gonna have a baby one day or even have surgery if you are allergic to latex and non latex condoms. They HAVE to use some kind of gloves which are basically the same thing as condoms!! The way I found out I was allergic to latex is b/c of my docs gloves. He had to use latex free everything and when you get a cath. or any kind of dressing you have to have latex or latex free. I have never heard of a person being allergic to both. It is so wild. It is rare to be allergic to latex period..much less to everything without latex. They do make this ring..that a friend of mine uses that you put in yourself and it stays there for 3 weeks and you pull it out to have your period. It doesn't have latex or anything. It is supposed to be real good. I'm glad my tubes are getting tied and I can be done with this mess...b/c I seriously am allergic to a lot of things.

------------------
Smile, life doesn't last that long.

Old 03-16-2002, 11:23 PM   #11

NINA_77 HB User

I am not allergic to non-latex condoms, but they dry me out and make me hurt a bit when I use them. I suppose I do sound like I am full of excuses. I am a big girl and know how the human body works. I have been pregnant before and lost the baby and it was devistating... I do want children some day. I am not TRYING to get pregnant as one chic on here said. I was just asking a question. I am fine though. Got my period and all is well and I will just hope that what I do is enough for me and if I get pregnant then oh well because I made that choice. I have always wanted to have children. I think I will leave it up to God and my boyfriend at this point. Thanks everyone for your advise and most of the commentary.

Old 03-17-2002, 07:46 AM   #12
Inactive

Shaelle HB User

Well you need to be sure also that it is okay with your boyfriend that you get pregnant. Just because he's sticking his wick in there doesn't mean that he wants a kid. He may be assuming that you'll have an abortion, or give the baby up. Heck, men can be very stupid, and he may even think that the method you're using, timing your ovulation combined with withdrawl, is going to be very effective. You need to discuss this together that if you become pregnant, that you want to keep the baby. Do it now, before you end up pregnant, you may be okay with getting pregnant and dealing with the consequences but that doesn't mean he will be. If he is really okay with you getting pregnant, then he'd have a ring on your finger showing you his commitment to you. As I said before, I got pregnant twice using this method, this time I even had help from TWO online charting methods, and my periods are regular, BOTH said it was a SAFE day. So I'm here telling you now, these methods are not effective. And I even told my then boyfriend, EVERY time we had sex, "I COULD GET PREGNANT." just before he put it in. It didn't seem to sway his decision, but let me tell you, after I got pregnant, he wanted me to have an abortion. And when I didn't, because I too was okay if I got pregnant, he wouldn't talk to me anymore, we lived in the same apartment. I left the jerk and raised the kid on my own, she's almost 8 years old now. He's never seen her, and never cared. He does pay child support, but he's forced to do so, it's taken from his paycheck. He and I were monogamous (sp?) I wasn't anywhere without him, and he wasn't anywhere without me, except work. We were both living in a new town, I knew nobody elso there, BUT that didn't stop him from trying to deny paternity, he even tried blaming his cousin, of which I was never around without him there. Men can be such jerks if they want to be. You need to discuss his feelings toward you getting pregnant, in full, meaning him having to pay child support if you are not married. If you ever need government assistance, even if it is just to help with medical care, the government will go after him to pay up, even if you don't want the help. I didn't seek child support, but needed help with medical coverage for the baby. And I had to supply information in order to get help. So I hope you already have a good job that covers medical care, and it is free to add your children to it. Also I hope they too cover 6 weeks maternity leave. And that you make enough to pay for diapers, food, clothing, and $300 a month in daycare costs. $20,000 a year won't support you and a baby alone. But then again maybe you have no problem asking your parents to help support your mistakes.

Good Luck!

Old 03-17-2002, 01:08 PM   #13

NINA_77 HB User

Thank you Shaelle. I appreciate your insight, I truly do. I have thought of all of that. I do have a really great job as an office assistant with great benefits. My boyfriend and I are very much in love. He was married once and has two beautiful girls. She flaked out and took off for California (we live in Minnesota) and he is hurting so bad that he can't be in the girls' life. But he and I have discussed the possibility of a child if we keep up our current methods. He said that he wants to have a children and put a ring on my finger some day (hopefully soon - hee hee) We both have been married and divorced and understand the consequences of our decisions. I have told him many a time that I am worried that if we keep this up that there is a good chance that I would become pregnant. He and I both understand this. It is pretty complicated, the two of us and our pasts. You see, my ex-husband didn't want to have children (with me anyway ... he has three now with the woman he left me for) and when I became pregnant he stressed me out until I lost the baby. It was something called fetal abortion or something like that. I was far enough along that her sex was developed. We buried her and I never get to go to the gravesite because I moved when he left me for that woman. It hurt so bad because I have always wanted to have children and Jed (my boyfriend) has heard this story many a time. He has told me that someday we will be married and have children. We both understand that you can't honestly plan the exact time a baby will come, you can only prevent it from happening. We both understand that this will happen if we keep up what we are doing. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with me. I am very honored and happy that you told me what you did. It must have been so hard for you. You are so lucky to have the opportunity to see a part of you growing up and enjoying life because of your decision to keep her. You are a very strong woman and I admire you. Thank you for your insight! I will take all of your advise to heart.

Closed Thread