It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2002, 09:00 PM   #1

klynn01 HB User
swelling

I am starting to swell very bad and I'm only 26w 5d. Is it normal to swell bad this soon or could something be wrong? I go to the doctor thursday and he will be doing the diabetes test and of course I will ask him but I wanted some advice from you guys. I'm not on my feet to much and I don't think I sit to much either so I don't know what is causing it. Last night they were huge! We went out to eat and when we were walking to the car I could barely walk. My feet didn't even look like feet just big fat round things. I still have 3 months to go so I'm worried they will just keep getting worse and worse, if that is possible. It feels like they would pop if they got much worse. Sorry to write so much but it's upsetting and it worries me.

Kira

Old 09-15-2002, 09:11 PM   #2

fntsyangel HB User
Re: swelling

Kira - if it is just your feet/hands swelling try soaking in a cool tub and cutting your salt intake. Especially if it is hot where you are!!

If you are swelling in your face also, get ahold of your doctor ASAP as this is the #1 symptom of pre-eclampsia/pregnancy induced hypertension. If you are swelling in your face you need to have you blood pressure and urine checked.

I hope it is just your feet! As annoying as this is, it is completely normal, if very uncomfortable!

Angel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2002, 09:23 PM   #3

klynn01 HB User

Thank you that does make me feel better. It's not even really in my hands, maybe a little, but oh yes in my feet. My face is just fine, no swelling there. I have thought about the salt thing and even though I don't use a lot of salt I think I'm going to cut out my salt all together. Of course the heat I have no control over so I'm SOL in that department. I live in southeast TX and just my luck the other day the paper said this summer has been the hottest since the 30's. I wish it was cool here but no, hot and humid.

Old 09-16-2002, 08:10 AM   #4
Inactive

paramedik1 HB User

According to the nursing textbooks, swelling is not a cause for concern unless you have protein in your urine or elevated blood pressure to go with the swelling. Other than that, get used to it. I"ve been having pitting edema lately, which is when you're feet(Or other body part) are so swollen that when you press into it with your thumb, it leaves an indentation of your thumb. I"ve been having that in my feet and legs. There's also weeping edema, when you're so swollen and there's so much extra fluid that it seeps out of your skin, it's really gross, its pretty slimy. I have yet to have it, but as a medic I have seen plenty of people with it.

Old 09-16-2002, 08:12 AM   #5
Inactive

paramedik1 HB User

One more thing, my husband bought me one of those foot spas, with the water jets and massage and bubbles and those are heavenly when you're feet are swollen!

Old 09-16-2002, 08:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User

You might try elevating your legs to help with the swelling and drink plenty of water, that can help flush your system of the retaining water. If you're really worried about it, it can't hurt to call your doctor and just let him know for reassurance; or he might like to see you sooner than Thursday.

Old 09-16-2002, 08:25 AM   #7
Veteran

Greenberry HB User

I started swelling last time at about 22-24 weeks, and my feet and legs were huge! The only thing I found was to wear my athletic shoes as opposed to pumps or sandals. If I put them on first thing in the morning, that seemed to keep my feet from swelling. Nothing else helped me. You might also try some really "tough" support hose. You will need to put them on before you get out of bed. I have heard that they help sometimes too. It really can be terrible, but other than the unattractiveness, it didn't seem to have any detrimental effects on me.

Closed Thread