It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2003, 01:12 PM   #1

crazy2tryagain HB User
Bleeding/cramping at 23 wks pregnant??

I'm writing this email on behalf of my neice who is 23 wks pg. She is having some terrible problems and I feel isn't getting the type of care she deserves.

It started 2wks ago with bright red spotting and mild cramps for 2 days. She was treated for a bladder infection.
Then, last Thursday, she started cramping again and this time passed 1" clots and bleeding. She went to the ER where she was told that the baby still had a heartbeat and was moving, and to go home and rest.
Today, she called me and said she's having cramping again. This time it's all in the front from her belly button down and across her lower back. It hurts for her to walk and the pains are consistant with moments of them peaking and then back down again. She isn't having any discharge at this point.
I told her to go to the ER again, but I just don't understand why they aren't giving her any answers. She was told it could be the placenta tearing away or it could be something with mixing of the baby's blood and her blood or something? I just don't understand why they aren't more concerned with her. She is only 20 yrs old, not married and has state insurance....could that be part of the lack of care or am I overreacting?
I guess I always thought that bleeding/cramping was a sign that something more is wrong. Please, if anyone has any suggestions, let me know where to start!

Thanks for you help! Jodie

Old 02-19-2003, 01:34 PM   #2
(female)

lilihob HB User
Re: Bleeding/cramping at 23 wks pregnant??

i just don't understand US medical care.
can her type of insurance really affect her standard of care? that is DISGUSTING!
our NHS has it's faults but everyone is treated the same, and when i've had scares with my pregnacies the care has been wonderful, scans, admissions, and PROPER explanations!
her placenta coming away is life-threatening to the baby, i can't believe thet would just let her leave.
the only blood mixing thing i can think of, is rhesus pos/neg. has she been pregnant before? but that is life threatening to the baby too...
she needs to go back and get some decent treatment/explanations, maybe take someone with her.
i hope for the best.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2003, 01:34 PM   #3
(female)

lilihob HB User

i just don't understand US medical care.
can her type of insurance really affect her standard of care? that is DISGUSTING!
our NHS has it's faults but everyone is treated the same, and when i've had scares with my pregnacies the care has been wonderful, scans, admissions, and PROPER explanations!
her placenta coming away is life-threatening to the baby, i can't believe thet would just let her leave.
the only blood mixing thing i can think of, is rhesus pos/neg. has she been pregnant before? but that is life threatening to the baby too...
she needs to go back and get some decent treatment/explanations, maybe take someone with her.
i hope for the best.

Old 02-20-2003, 06:26 AM   #4
Veteran

Momofa4yrold HB User

lilihob,

Please don't judge all USA care on one bad doctor. There are 50 states in the United States of America, and judging all doctors on one hospital is not right. West Virginia has wonderful doctors that treat everyone equally.

As for the original poster, I would try to go to a different ER if that is possible. Bleeding during pregnancy is not usually normal. Especially at 22 weeks. I was 6 months and had appendisides(Sp?). I had similar symptoms to what you described and the hospital was able to find out by a urin test. I had my appendix taken out and everything was fine.

------------------
due 07/27/2002

Closed Thread