It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2002, 04:05 PM   #1

Danna HB User
Can Dr.'s office urine pregnancy test be wrong?

Last week I took three hpt's and the results were positve. Today I started spotting and so the dr. wanted me to come in and take a test at the office and it came back negative. Could their test be wrong? They told me to keep my appointment next week but they did not want to do a blood test because it is still early. Has any one else had this experience?

Old 07-16-2002, 05:20 PM   #2
Inactive

Lady^ HB User
Re: Can Dr.'s office urine pregnancy test be wrong?

Well, I'm not sure but it seems to me that if it's a urine test then it could be as inaccurate as a home pregnancy test can be. The only way you're going to know for sure is with a blood test.

It could also be a case where you were pregnant and now you are miscarrying which is why the most recent test has come back negative. Are you still spotting? How many weeks do you estimate it's been since you conceived?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2002, 05:37 PM   #3
Inactive

whitewolf95 HB User

My oldest son can tell you doctor's office tests can be just as inaccurate as home tests can be. I wasnt even going in for a pregnancy test but one was done due to some meds I was going to be on. Well it came up negative. Well I had already missed my period so I thought it a bit strange. Two weeks later and still no period I took a home test and it came up positive. I went in to see my doc and asked for a blood test and low and behold I was pregnant and had been even when the urine test was done.
The Urine tests that doctors have are the same as theones you get at the store. So yes they can be wrong. Also if a urine test shows positive then by no means is it too early for a blood test. Matter of fact blood test can be done well before urine tests. You only have to be five day pregnant(after implantation) for a blood test to detect pregnancy....urine test require a bit more time.

Old 07-16-2002, 07:05 PM   #4

Danna HB User

I am today 22 dpo, so 7 days late. I have started spotting today. Only enough to detect on TP. The nurse at the doctor office told me that if I was miscarrying that I should still test positive, that it takes 2 weeks for the hormones to be out of your system. They did not seem too concerned and since I am not an established patient yet so I feel they were not very accomadating. I may just not be pregnant and getting my period. Right now I am very confused. My husband I were trying for pregnancy, it is kind of dissappointing and heart breaking to not know.

Old 07-18-2002, 03:50 AM   #5

claire21 HB User

Hi Danna,
Proberly best to just wait for a blood test and see what those results come up with incase it is a bit earily.
The doctors pregnancy tests ( not blood tests) are actually just as accurate as any other home test. Many people dont actually think this, but a good home test is about 99. something % reliable. Or at least I know it is over here in England, I figure thay are about the same where ever you are.
All the best with any further tests, I hope it turns out alright.
Claire

Closed Thread