It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2003, 08:19 PM   #1
Inactive

siren24 HB User
"Unexplained" infertility?

Hey guys! I was hoping some of you TTC'ers could shed a little light on this for me. A close friend of mine and her husband have been TTC for 2 years, and finally made appts. to get checked out. They are both under 30, active, healthy, and no risks. His sperm count came back great, and they can't seem to find any problems with her O'ing or cycles, so they were diagnosed with unexplained infertility. This was devastating to them, because there is no course of action for them to take to help them conceive since they can't fid a reason? Anyone ever had this happen? Do you have any idea what can cause it or what to do?

Old 02-19-2003, 09:14 PM   #2
Inactive

plymouth HB User
Re: "Unexplained" infertility?

From Dr. Gabe Mirkin:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Men and women can be infected with mycoplasma or ureaplasma even though all available tests can't find them and they may have no symptoms at all. Before infertile couples spend between $10,000 and $150,000 for infertility evaluations and treatments, they should ask their gynecologists to treat them with newer erythomycins, Zithromax (250 mg once a day for 8 days) or Biaxin (500 mg BID for 10 days).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

These bacteria are detectable only by very expensive tests used only in research and which give false results half the time. Therefore they are not available from your doctor. Dr. Mirkin says both partners must be treated at the same time to prevent re-infection from the untreated partner.

------------------
~p

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2003, 05:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

coppertop HB User
Re: "Unexplained" infertility?

I had an early miscarriage (around six weeks) and when I got pregnant again my doc tested me for ureaplasma and it came back positive! He said that bacteria can be the cause of infertility or early miscarriages. Me and my dh both had to take some antibiotics when I was 14 weeks. (Why he didn't test me BEFORE I got pregnant, I don't know....)But I guess over 40% of women have this baceteria. I know its not an STD either, becuase neither me or my dh has ever had another sexual partner ever.

Anyways...My friend and her dh had one baby right away after marriage, now they have been trying for over two years and no baby! They have been diagnosed with "unexplained infertility" too which is doubly confusing since they had a baby five years ago. Luckily, they are a military family and get all the infertillity treatment free.

Closed Thread