It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2002, 03:34 AM   #1

mango981 HB User
No heartbeat

Went to the Doctors for a check-up yesterday and he used one of those little machines on me, think they're called "Dopplers" (??). It's meant to pick up the babies heartbeat?

Anyway, the doctor couldn't pick up the babies heartbeat, and now i am getting worried. Is it normal not to hear the heartbeat at this point - i am 12 weeks. Does it mean something is wrong??

Old 03-15-2002, 09:45 AM   #2
Inactive

whitewolf95 HB User
Re: No heartbeat

Well that can happen sometimes examples can be ranging from miscalculated due date to the baby not being in a good position to hear the heartbeat.
Let your doctor know you are worried and see what he/she has to say about this. You can see if your doctor will get an ultrasound done to see what is going on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2002, 01:48 PM   #3
Inactive

Shaelle HB User

I agree with whitewolf.

I just got to hear my babies heart beat 3 days ago. I am 13 1/2 weeks pregnant now. We tried to hear it when I was 10 1/2 weeks pregnant, but he couldn't find it either. But my doctor told me before he started that we only had a 50% chance for the 10th week, 75% for the 11th week and 100% chance in the 12th week.(?his rule of thumb? I dont' know?) And if we didn't hear it by 12 weeks, he wanted to schedule an ultrasound to verify the conception date.
But first he scheduled me back in 2 weeks.

So what I want to ask is did your doctor schedule any follow up appointments? What did you're doctor say? Did s/he sound concerned? Did they schedule you for an ultrasound?

I was worried a little bit, my sister just recently had what is called a molar pregnancy. No baby, just lots of cells. And there is also what is called a blighted ovum, no baby, just a sac. So I knew that if no heartbeat was found, then it ~probably~ wasn't a "real" pregnancy to begin with. But either way there would have been nothing I could have done to have prevented it.

So try not to worry youself to death, it's scary. But hang in there and try to be patient. Keep yourself busy until the next appointment, it will help keep your mind off of it.

Good Luck and keep us posted!<p>[This message has been edited by Shaelle (edited 03-15-2002).]

Old 03-15-2002, 02:05 PM   #4
(female)

DeniLee HB User

My doctor didn't even try to hear my baby's heartbeat until 13 weeks because he said he knew he wouldn't hear it until then. So it's probably just too early.

Old 03-16-2002, 05:35 PM   #5

Purrbaby HB User

I know my doc doesn't try to hear the heartbeat until 13 weeks. But if you are really worried you can request an u/s to check on the baby. I did b/c I'm too paranoid. I saw the heart beating away at almost 9 weeks. The machine just can't pick it up yet. There were also a few times early in my first preg. they couldn't hear the hb b/c the baby was laying in a funny way. It always gave me a heart attack but about 30 min later they could find it when the baby moved.

------------------
Smile, life doesn't last that long.

Closed Thread