It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2003, 04:27 PM   #1

Celtatia HB User
How long to wait for sex after a D and C

As many know I had a m/c on New Years Eve, I had a D and C, or Curette, on Jan 1st.
My question is, how long should DH and I have waited after my D&C before I having sex.

Cause we did about 30 hours after I came out of surgery. And now this morning I am soooo sore. I think that maybe the anathsetic(sp?) hadn't worn off yet last night.
I had descided that we would wait 2 or 3 days and we ended up waiting 1 day. I was sort of half asleep when I made that choice though.
We hadn't actually had sex in about 2 weeks becuase of the threatened mc/c and all the bleeding.

Could someone give me some idea if I could have done myself some damage, by having sex so soon after surgery?

Please. Thanks

------------------
Helen

Old 01-02-2003, 06:09 PM   #2
Inactive

Eeyore II HB User
Re: How long to wait for sex after a D and C

Hello
I cant really help you with this problem im sorry. But I cant quit thinking about you and what happened to you.I feel so bad for you and I hope you are alright with all that has happened.I havent been bleeding anymore I hope I dont. I have prayed for you and your family and will again.
I want to say everything happens for a reason,it wasnt meant to be and all that other stuff everyone always says becouse I really believe it but... seeing as I had a scare myself the other night I know chances are it wont make you feel any better.and it might be hard to even think straight right now..
chances are you shouldnt have sex for a few days the least. but take care of yourself and let us and me know how you are doing and holding up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2003, 06:12 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

friendlione HB User

Yes, you can damage yourself. You can get a serious infection, too.
You must wait at least two weeks, maybe more if you are still bleeding. I can't believe the doctors did not tell you.

Old 01-02-2003, 07:45 PM   #4

Celtatia HB User

No one said anything like that, all they said was be a bit careful for a while because you're extremely fertile after a m/c as your homone levels are still up. Nobody said anything about infection. I'll ask my dr. about it when I go for my blood test this arvo.

Thanks

------------------
Helen

Old 01-02-2003, 10:47 PM   #5
(female)

maglib HB User

I was also told what Friend said. You should speak to your doctor and suspend all activity for at least 2 to 3 weeks and you have completely stopped bleeding.

FYI they also say to wait 3 months to try to conceive but my ob says this is more for mental reasons and that 1.5 months should be sufficient if the m/c was within 2 months.

Old 01-03-2003, 12:33 AM   #6

Celtatia HB User

Well, I spoke to my dr this arvo about it.
He said you should wait about 1 week, but that it wasn't really that big deal. Hmmm, hope he is right. Anyway, I told DH not for at least 4 days cause I am very sore since last night. I have pretty much stopped bleeding anyway, I don't know if that makes any diffence. I mean they may even do the procedure slightly differently over here.

Thanks for all the advice

------------------
Helen

Old 01-03-2003, 07:06 AM   #7
Veteran

ana_24 HB User

You HAVE to wait at least a week, to be safe two weeks! You can get a serious infection from anything that enters your uterus... ie. sperm.. even a bath can cause an infection. It may even lead to infertility.. I can't believe your doctor didn't emphasize that!

Closed Thread