It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2002, 04:29 PM   #1

Purrbaby HB User
To anyone with cats with litter boxes or hamsters

I knew I had read this somewhere and I finally found it. I got this from a recent preg. magazine.
They were talking about LCMV (Lymphocytic choriomengitis virus) which is rare but can cause serious harm to the unborn baby. They also spoke of toxoplasma gondii. They said if you must clean up after cats or household mice to wear gloves to protect yourself from toxoplasma gondii and a mask to protect yourself from LCMV b/c it is airborne. They also were saying to cook your meat throughly and wear gloves while gardening b/c the toxoplasma gondii is also found in raw meat and soil. And most of all wash your hands VERY well after cleaning a litter box or cage, handeling meat and gardening..which I'm sure everyone knows. I thought I would pass this info along.

------------------
Smile, life doesn't last that long.

Old 03-25-2002, 08:48 PM   #2

Molly M HB User
Re: To anyone with cats with litter boxes or hamsters

Why don't any of the books or doctors tell pregnant women about LCMV? I've never heard of it. I've heard of Toxoplasmosis because most pregnancy books cover that topic. What they won't tell you is that if you have strictly indoor cats they won't carry Toxoplasmosis because it is caught from catching birds in the wild. About the other virus, what symptoms does it cause? And do you know how common it is? I'm curious because I have two indoor cats. Thanks,

------------------
Molly H.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2002, 09:41 PM   #3

Purrbaby HB User
Re: To anyone with cats with litter boxes or hamsters

I got the info from FIT PREGNANCY and they only went into a little detail. They didn't say what it could cause just that it would cause serious problems for the unborn baby. From what I read they were just warning preg. people about litter boxes and household mice cages. I too had never heard of LCMV and that is why I posted. See, my vet told me that a cat can get toxoplasmosis from digging in infected soil and this article too said to be careful when gardening b/c of the same thing. The article said you can clean the litter box just wear a mask and gloves. I don't think indoor cats can get LCMV unless they eat an infected mouse. I am still trying to find out more about it.

------------------
Smile, life doesn't last that long.

Closed Thread