It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2003, 10:23 AM   #1

pixiebone HB User
pregnancy test accuracy?

Hi, I have complicated situation and am wondering if anyone can please help! I'm wondering how soon a pregnancy test can detect pregnancy. The box states from the first day you've missed your period, however my period is very irregular and "sensitive" (when I first went off to college I didn't get my period the first 2-3 months) so I'm unsure when to expect it. Ever since high school I've had this problem and gone to the doctor about it, and it's nothing serious. Anyway, I last got my period around the beginning of Jan, but for awhile in early Feb I was sick and ate very little, so I'm afraid that may have stalled my period coming. I've had sex twice since my last period, the most recent was two weeks ago. So since I'm unsure when to expect my period I'm wondering the accuracy of the test. Last night I took a pregnancy test (two weeks after intercourse) and it came out negative, but I don't know how accurate that result is since I don't know if my period is late due to irregularity or prenancy. I'm not on any medication (including birth control) and the test I used was EPT in case that helps. So the basic question I'm asking is can I rest assure that after two weeks of sex that the result was accurate, whether my period is late or not. Please help me out!!!! Thank you!

Old 02-16-2003, 12:27 PM   #2

fntsyangel HB User
Re: pregnancy test accuracy?

It is really, really hard to say. Because of the fact that sperm can hang around for up to 5 days waiting for ovulation, and that not every woman has the same amounts of HcG at the same times of gestation, urine pregnancy tests can be very inaccurate. I suggest asking your doctor to do an exam/blood test. With the blood test, it is very important they do a QUANTITIVE not Qualitive Hcg. A doctor can also usually detect pregnancy by doing a pelvic exam - there are changes in the cervix during pregnancy that can be found this way.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

------------------
Angel, et al

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2003, 12:53 PM   #3

pixiebone HB User

Hi, thanks for the info. At the moment I'm uninsured, so do you know how much longer I should wait before taking another at home preg test to ensure the results are accurate? Thanks again!

Old 02-17-2003, 12:50 PM   #4

fntsyangel HB User

Wait another week and test again. If it is still negative and you dont start in the week following that, then make an appt with the Dr for a blood test, just to make sure. Some doctors will even order a blood test to the lab without having you come into the office if it is to rule out pregnancy.

------------------
Angel, et al

Old 02-17-2003, 05:43 PM   #5
(female)

maglib HB User

Can't you go to a free clinic for a blood test as you have no insurance? Don't wait as it is extremely important to start vitamins if you are.
Good luck.

Closed Thread