It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2003, 10:20 PM   #1

twinkie1031 HB User
I'm Pregnant!!! No insurance!! What to do!!??

I'm very happy to be pregnant, but very worried about the insurance situation. Has anyone had a baby with no insurance? Did you have to prepay? I'm not sure where to go from here. Thanks!

Old 02-16-2003, 10:33 PM   #2

Carmen_F HB User
Re: I'm Pregnant!!! No insurance!! What to do!!??

Not sure what state you are in, but my hubby and I are in the same boat. (since we are both students) In Texas as long as you make less than $1900 a month you can get on Pregnancy Medicaid. That is something you can look into. And even after you get a better job, and even if it has insurance they can't take you off of it. So it has worked out great for us so far.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2003, 10:40 PM   #3

twinkie1031 HB User

Thanks for replying!! Well we don't qualify for medicaid, and my husband's insurance doesn't cover maternity care for 12 months, so that's why we're not convered. I'm worried that I'm going to have to pay for the prenatal and the hospital costs during the 9 months that I'm pregnant! That's quite a lot of money per month! We're just barely over the medicaid quilifications. It seems like there must be something out there for people like us. A lot of insurance policies don't cover maternity at all!

Old 02-16-2003, 10:42 PM   #4

twinkie1031 HB User

By the way....I'm in Georgia.

Old 02-17-2003, 04:03 AM   #5

mrsblasalle HB User

Hi twinkie1031; I am from louisiana and i do have insurance but the percentage after it picks up is still steep.I came across this program that started as of January 1 this year called LaMOMS.It is like medicaid only for middle-class families even if you have insurance go on the internet and search if you don't find under LaMOMS put LaChip and on their homepage click medicaid and you will see a square on the right with LaMOMS click on there hope this helps!!

Old 02-17-2003, 08:12 AM   #6
(female)

Jules211 HB User

Hey twinkie- I didn't have insurance when I first found out I was pg but I got very lucky and my boss helped me sign up during open enrollment and somehow get coverage b/c pregnancy cannot be considered a pre-existing condition... anyway, if I did not have insurance I know for sure my doctor's office would have required a very large deposit by like the second prenatal visit b/c they won't take chances on having you skip out on their fees. Also, my husband and I were just over the limits for medicaid too, but if we had not gotten insurance coverage we would have just reduced our hours or taken a slight pay cut to meet the limits. It is better to do that than pay the cost of the prenatal care and L&D. I think my total hospital bill before insurance was $10,000 for a vaginal delivery with epidural, and the prenatal care was another $3800 (Texas). Not a sum I would want to pay out of pocket!!! Do whatever you can to get on medicaid.

Old 02-17-2003, 09:01 AM   #7
Inactive

siren24 HB User

Hi there. My husband and I still don't have any insurance and I'm at 19 weeks. He makes a couple hundred dollars too much to qualify for medicade, (we're in Alabama.)and he is a temporary employee, so he has no benifits available. My OB has been SUPER about prenatal charges with his office and has put us on a global billing plan where we don't have to make a payment til March. The hospital and lab charges are the ones we knew we couldn't deal with, so hubby went out and joined the Air Force, and I will be covered with Tricare in March, which will pick up everything from then on out. But like I said before, a lot of doctors seem to work with patients with no insurance, because they like to price gouge insurance companies, and realize individuals just can't pay that. My OB hasn't written me a prescription the whole time, he just gives me stuff from his sample closet. Even my prenatal vitamins he gives me samples of because he knows we can't afford pharmacy costs.

Old 02-17-2003, 09:05 AM   #8
Inactive

siren24 HB User

oh.. I forgot to mention, Jules was right. My husband asked for his hours to be cut for a month so we could qualify for medicais. I know in AL they only need 1 months pay stubs to qualify you, so you wouldn't be losing that much income. This was before the whole Airforce thing went through, though.

Old 02-17-2003, 11:20 AM   #9

Carmen_F HB User

And you may be able to make more in other states. My hubby and I did the same thing. They only needed one month so we both took some time off. Thankfuly they pay for everything. My prenantals alone were around $150. OUCH

Old 02-17-2003, 11:41 AM   #10

twinkie1031 HB User

Thanks so much for the info...I'll look into it. I called the Georgia Health Department where the prenatal care costs are relatively low (compared to the Dr. I called who wanted $610 per month) and I told her I was ineligible for medicaid...she told me that I would be eligible for Emergency Medicaid when I went into Labor and they would cover the hospital bills. She didn't ask about my income, but she seems pretty confident. Does anyone know about emergency Medicaid? I've been trying to research it but can't find much information.
Thanks

Old 02-17-2003, 11:44 AM   #11

twinkie1031 HB User

sorry double post....<p>[This message has been edited by twinkie1031 (edited 02-17-2003).]

Closed Thread