It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2002, 09:55 AM   #1

JMC HB User
Pregnancy after Accutane

I finished my course of accutane on January 5th. My husband and I are planning to start a family soon. Has anyone been on Accutane previosly and had problems with their pregnancy? My dr. told me to wait a month to make sure the medicine is out of my system, but we have waited a few months just to be safe. I'm just wondering what others peoples experiences are? Thanks in advance for your replies!!

Old 03-16-2002, 05:53 PM   #2

Purrbaby HB User
Re: Pregnancy after Accutane

I saw a show on Montel about that stuff. Supposedly it is killing teenagers. Sounded crazy to me!! They did say that there have been links to that drug and birth defects but the doc on the show said wait a few months and then it should be fine. Just be sure not to use it during a preg.!! But that is just what I heard on the show!

------------------
Smile, life doesn't last that long.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2002, 08:01 AM   #3
Inactive

Shaelle HB User

I believe your doctor is right, you just need it out of your system before you try to concieve, just 30 days. I was interested and looked up information on the internet after reading this, even reading the package insert. But since the birth defects can be so bad, I too would be like you and wait longer than 30 days, just to be on the safe side. But I believe you said its been 2-3 months, you should be okay by now. There are not many medications that will stay in your system after about 8 weeks from the time you stop taking them. I believe some antidepressants will stay there that long. Oh and lets not forget the Depo shot, that takes 3 months, and that is a long time.

Well maybe you could check for some kind of statistics on the health of babies born to women who discontinued use of accutane 3 months before conception. Try medline on the internet.

Good Luck.

Old 03-17-2002, 05:18 PM   #4

Purrbaby HB User

Ahh don't scare me I was on the Depo shot when I got preg!!!!

------------------
Smile, life doesn't last that long.

Closed Thread