It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2002, 07:41 PM   #1

TCM HB User
Antidepressants during pregnancy

I am thinking of getting pregnant, but have never been on antidepressants during my three other pregnancies. My Psychiatrist says that Wellbutrin is perfectly safe during pregnancy, and Celexa (I am on both) is like Prozac, which has been around and used a long time during pregnancy. He has patients who have delivered healthy babies on Prozac, and just heard of another Doctor in the practice who had someone deliver healthy on Paxil. Does anyone know anything about Wellbutrin and/or Celexa during pregnancy??? I would never want to put my baby in any danger, or cause any problems later in his/her life. PLEASE let me know of anything you have heard, I am having a hard time finding out anything on the internet, only about Prozac, which says is typically safe during pregnancy. Thanks!
TM

Old 03-14-2002, 06:48 AM   #2
Inactive

hillarynotclinton HB User
Re: Antidepressants during pregnancy

I have no firsthand experience with antidepressants during pregnancy (although I probably need em!!!!) but my mother is a licensed marriage and family therapist and she told me that she makes her clients stop their medications as soon as they find out they are pregnant. If they dont, she wont see them. Seems a bit tough, but thats her stance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2002, 07:07 PM   #3

Purrbaby HB User
Re: Antidepressants during pregnancy

I am on Zoloft and I have taken it during preg. and read several articles that came out after Andrea Yates killed her children on the topic of antidepressants and preg. Everything I have read has said there are no major complications linked to the drugs and that for some women it is worse to take them off of the drugs. One problem they found though was low birth weight. I think that the decision is one for you and your doc. I would base it on how badly you need the drugs. I have cut back greatly on mine and rarely take it..I feel I don't really need it. But some women really need their meds and it can do more harm than good to take them off.

------------------
Smile, life doesn't last that long.

Closed Thread