It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2002, 07:03 AM   #1

lfantell HB User
How old is too old to become pregnant?

This reason why I ask this is because I am 36 and have become involved with a 24 (very mature 24 at that) year old man. I have 3 children (15,12,10) and he has 2 children (5,3). We were talking the other day and I said that I didn't want to have any more kids because I basically went through the pregnancies and child raising by myself (my ex was proud of the fact that he could count on one hand how many diapers he changed).He said that maybe I would think differently if I had experienced a pregnancy where I had been pampered and had had help with the baby. He loves babies and took care of his own when they were born. He says that he wants to have one more child. Before I had my third child I always thought that I would have 4 children.
So how old is too old to have a baby and be fair to everyone, the mother and the child?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2002, 08:05 AM   #2
(female)

blueshore99 HB User
Re: How old is too old to become pregnant?

Well, if both parents are loving and want the baby you are never too old. The only thing to consider is a higher risk of birth defect after 35. My mom had me as a late in life baby, I was born when she was 43 and I was the 5th child.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2002, 09:00 AM   #3

maggie113 HB User

I belong to another pg board, and there are several women who are between 35 and 42 who are expecting and all of them are doing great. I think if you have a good ob, then why not?

------------------
Maggie 26
Josh 23
Madeline 3/4/99
Charlie /5/24/00
#3 Katrina Rose EDD 4/29/02

Old 02-22-2002, 11:50 AM   #4

natnap HB User

Interesting topic. My husband is 35 and has 3 daughters from a previous marriage. They are 11, 13 and 16. We have a boy who is 3 and a little girl on the way. I will be turning 30 in September and swore that I would not have more children after 30. Financially it is tough to have more. I took us a while to decide on getting PG again after my son because we said we would only have one. Now, since my son has 4 sisters, I feel bad that he won't have a brother and am thinking about having one more when we are done with child support, kills us financially. My husband says he will be to old to have more kids and I told him is you are financially stable and can provide and nice loving home to a baby why not have more. We can offer so much to children.

Also, my boss is 53 years old (the age of my father in law) and he has 3 year old twins and a 1 year old. I think until God allows you to get PG than it is not to late.

Old 02-23-2002, 10:01 PM   #5

Purrbaby HB User

I believe you are too old when you go into menopause!!! My hubby is almost 40 and his first was born 6 months ago and his second is due in Sept. That is all he is getting b/c we want him to be around to see them get married but, I don't think you are too old. My stepmom(38) and my Daddy(40) just had a son about 5 months ago. He wasn't planned but they have both raised kids..my Daddy has me 19 and my sister 5 and my stepmom has her daughter 12 and son 14...and they felt VERY prepared and felt they were able to enjoy the whole pregnancy more b/c they knew what to expect. my hubby is a VERY involved dad and when you have a man like that it takes a lot of the stress off of you. If you both want one..go for it!!

Oh, one more plus about having older kids...especially girls...is they will want to help out for the first few months at least. My stepsister gets the bottles and warms them up and plays with the baby all the time. She used to be the baby and she has just loved being an older sister!!

------------------
Smile, life doesn't last that long.

Closed Thread