It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2002, 01:52 PM   #1
(female)

Emmy2 HB User
anyone have acid refluz before pregnancy?

I want to know if anyone had acid reflux problems before they were pregnant and what happened after they became pregnant? I am having bad troubles now and am scared when I get pregnant it will get a lot worse???
Thanks!

Old 02-02-2002, 04:27 PM   #2

Brandee HB User
Re: anyone have acid refluz before pregnancy?

I can tell you That With my first child I had heartburn so badly I went to E.R., i found out i was prego that night, then it occured all through out pregnancy and after, with my second child the same, however i think it differs with everyone, you obgyn can prescribe something safe and effective, good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2002, 08:49 PM   #3

Merrilee HB User

you will soon learn that TUMS will become your best friend. GOOD LUCK

------------------

Old 02-04-2002, 01:34 AM   #4

Purrbaby HB User

Emmy,
I have terrible acid refulx that TUMS will never help. I have a presription for Prevacid. You can continue any meds for this condition while preg. While all those other poor souls are chewing on TUMS I was heartburn free my whole pregnancy thanks to my friend Prevacid. Ask your doc for a prescription of some sort and tell him/her too keep in mind you want to get preg.

------------------
Smile, life doesn't last that long.

Old 02-04-2002, 08:39 AM   #5
(female)

Emmy2 HB User

I have a prescription for Prevacid but my doctor says not to take it if I am trying to get pregnant - instead she said Maalox 6 times a day but it is not so effective and a big hassle! I don't know what to do!!!!

Old 02-05-2002, 05:09 PM   #6

Purrbaby HB User

Oh Emmy I'm so sorry..that is what my doc prescribed me knowing I wanted to get preg and my ob/gyn told me it was fine to take it. Here's a hint..my son came out fine....I'm sorry if your doc said no...maybe mine is crazy..LOL!! All I know is I wouldn't have made it without it. Two different docs told me the stuff was ok to take...maybe your doc is one of those no medicine not even tylenol people....my docs might just be liberal or something. I was allowed to have Tylenol PM a lot too when I couldn't sleep and I took my inhaler Servent. I would consult another doctor...second opinions never hurt.

------------------

Old 02-06-2002, 08:45 AM   #7
(female)

Emmy2 HB User

Thanks purrbaby! I have an appointment with an ob/gyn next month so I will talk to him about it - maybe my doctor is too conservative. The sheet from the pharmacist just says to discuss the benefits and risks with your doctor! I would like to try the prevacid for a while because people say it works really well!

Old 02-06-2002, 12:00 PM   #8

Matilda33 HB User

I have bad heartburn during pregnancy, and I did during my last one too. But isn't heartburn and acid reflux two different conditions? I thought acid reflux was more serious. Have you actually been diagnosed with acid reflux disease? If so, I doubt Tums will be very beneficial to you, but it's worth a try. Tums does wonders for heartburn, but for acid reflux, I don't know. Good luck, I know how uncomfortable heartburn can be. In fact I ate a big plate of spaghetti the other night for dinner and I thought I was going to have to eat the whole bottle of Tums! I can't deal with bland food, though, so I'll just have to have a bottle of Tums by my bedside at all times.

------------------
Matilda

Old 02-06-2002, 03:41 PM   #9

Purrbaby HB User

I have been diagnosed with acid reflux and that might be why they let me stay on my meds. All the acid can erode your throat. Maybe you have a boarderline condition...but I seriously doubt it. Nothing bad came from me taking my pills except I never had heartburn...if you consider that bad. I hope I could be of some help!!

------------------

Closed Thread