It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2002, 06:34 PM   #1
(female)

Kimberly HB User
Good Pregnancy Workout Videos?

Hi there,

I am a plus size soon to be mommy looking for a few suggestions. I'm currently 15 weeks along in my pregnancy and am weighing in at 241 lbs. Before I got pregnant I had joined the gym and was doing great with my weight loss. I think when I found out I was pregnant I was somewhere around 230lbs. Four weeks after joining the gym I found out I was pregnant and my doctor told me it wasn't a good idea to continue with my weight lifting since I'm still a "newbie" and may not recognize when I could be potentially doing harm. I've since put my gym pass on hold and plan on returning when the baby is born, when I feel I'll definitely need it.

My question is, can someone recommend a good, easy workout video I could start doing at home just to help get rid of the pregnancy weight gain blahs? I know this isn't the time to worry about weight, but I can't help but feel SO unattractive at times. I've heard from other people that the weight you gain is usually lost after giving birth but it seems to me that 35lbs is a lot to lose with delivery alone?

Can someone please help or offer advice?

Thank you,

Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2002, 06:50 PM   #2

Lori A HB User
Re: Good Pregnancy Workout Videos?

Hi Kimberly
Congrats on your pregnancy and joining the gym. I think that excercise in moderation during pregnancy is good and cannot hurt. I have heard that the benefits of excercise make labour easier as well. good luck with everything
Lori<p>[This message has been edited by moderator3 (edited 01-30-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2002, 07:47 AM   #3
Inactive

hillarynotclinton HB User

Hi, Im not plus size, but with my first pregnancy, I walked and walked and walked. Im talking about 4-5 miles a day sometimes. It was nice, and I lost the baby weight within a couple of weeks. I was walking because I thought it might make labor easier...if that was easier, Id hate to think how bad it could have been!!!! But the easy weight loss was a very pleasant side effect. I havent been exercising much this time around. Im just too busy. I have my daughter, work, cleaning, cooking, ugh! Im due in May, so I think when spring really kicks in, Im gonna stick my hubby with my daughter and walk to my heart's content every evening. Its about time he helped me out a little...

Old 01-31-2002, 10:54 AM   #4

Molly M HB User

Hi. I am not plus size, but I think I was about 10 lbs overweight when I got pregnant. According to the charts, I am a large frame and I was of the uppermost "desirable" weight. But I feel flabby and bulky. And now my intestines have slowed down so much that I get constipated for about 2-3 days which makes me bloated and heavy. I know how hard it is when you have just lost weight only to put it on again. My last pregnancy, which ended in miscarriage, I put on weight so fast it was rediculous. I think I gained 5 lbs in 2 weeks. My midwife said it was probably because I was still in that weight loss mode, where I was cutting calories, and then all of a sudden I couldn't cut calories anymore. Anyway, I think it is very healthy to exercize during pregnancy. (When you can find the energy!!) as long as it isn't so strenuous that it makes your heartrate increase to the point of pain or extreme breathlessness. Walking is an excellent choice because it is aerobic as well as muscle building and you can do it anywhere and it works!
Also remember that breastfeeding helps to shed those extra pounds quickly. You can use up to 500 calories just from breastmilk!!! But don't lose too fast or your milk supply will drop. It sounds like your weight gain is steady and slow like it should be. Some overweight women who watch their weight while they are pregnant actually weigh in less after the baby is born than when they got pregnant. Not just overweight women, but normal weight women too. When I had my daughter over 3 years ago, I was amazed because I lost 17 of the 24 lbs I gained instantly. Most of the weight is extra blood, and water and baby.
Sorry I can't help you with the exercize videos, but I'm sure they are out there. In the meantime, get your walking shoes on! (I wish I had the energy right now, but I'm only at 10 weeks and I feel like I am going to sink into the earth). Good luck, and congrats on your pregnancy!

------------------
Molly H.

Old 02-06-2002, 12:02 AM   #5

Purrbaby HB User

I weighed 165 when I got preg with my son and I'm 5'7" I gained 55 lbs and just by having him I lost 30lbs. So that much weightloss is possible. Just a little encouragement. Just try to not stuff yourself...my doc told me all I need in extra calories is the calories in an 8 oz glass of whole milk. That is not a lot and a lot of women have this "eating for two" misconception in their head. Just watch what and how much you eat and WALK and drink WATER!! Then when you get that baby out..walk and show him/her off!!

------------------
Smile, life doesn't last that long.

Closed Thread