It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2003, 12:49 PM   #1
(female)

maglib HB User
Robert went to the ER

My 6 week old baby Robert had to go to the ER last night. He got 3 shots on Thursday polio, Hib, and Hepatitis. He was very out of it after that and hasn't acted the same since. He hasn't eaten as much, he used to bf for 25 minutes every 2 to 3 hours. Now he is done in 5 minutes and sometimes sleeps for up to 5 hours.
Well he started having yellow ***** stuff from both his eyes and sounded like he had a stuffy nose on Friday night. He didn't eat much that night and woke up with very gooky eyes and green/yellow all out his nose with no other symptoms. Called the ped and they said antibiotic drops for the eyes (which I had and didn't use due to his blocked tear duct) and Pediacare decongestant. Well I bf on Saturday and went out for 5 hours to do errands. I returned and my dh said the baby slept the entire 5 hours (he normally only takes 15 minute to half hour catnaps during the day and maybe a hour nap). I tried to bf and he ate only 4 minutes and was listless. He had a 102 and the dr. said a fever over a 101 for a baby less than 2 months old had to be seen by a dr. ASAP and take him to the ER. I had given him tylenol, the eye drops and the pediacare a half hour before the call. We took him to the ER and he only had a 99.8 temp (they said due to the tylenol kicking in).

Well we spent 3.5 hours and they took blood and x-rays and he was fine. The worst thing is they incorrectly thought they could take blood from his arm and first they missed and went to the other arm and of course it still didn't work. They then hooked an IV in him (saying they would rather not have to stick him again if it was needed which they really never should have stuck a needle into a 6 week olds arm). Well they finally took the blood from his foot which is what I said from the beginning. The poor baby was so irritated with the IV and a splint on the arm and it wasn't even needed. I wanted to shoot the nurse who did this to my child. The other parents in the ER with kids refused them to put an IV in their kids after they saw how terrorized Robert was.

They said standard procedure was to also do a spinal tap as there was a 1 in a million chance of menigitis. I wholly refused this extremely painful procedure. They also wanted to catheterize him to test his urine! I spoke to the on call Dr. and we decided not to do anything as his fever was broken.

Well they say it is just an infection and sent us home with directions to see his ped on Monday and to continue the eye drops, pediacare and tylenol. They say he probably caught something from his well visit at the pediatricians office. He is doing better and has no temp and his eyes are looking better. He is still sleeping more and not eating as much. This is just a warning to you all that don't let the ER bully you into doing unnecesarry procedures just because they are standard. If it was needed that is one thing but, he wasn't admitted and his fever had already broken.

I wouldn't normally have taken him to the hospital but, I was so afraid that it was a reaction to the shots or RSV which it wasn't thankfully. I am just so happy that he will be ok.

Sorry for griping so long.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2003, 02:15 PM   #2
Inactive

dingo_102 HB User
Re: Robert went to the ER

So sorry you all had such a terrible time. It's really great to hear that he is doing better though. Sending some (((hugs)))!

April<p>[This message has been edited by dingo_102 (edited 03-02-2003).]

Old 03-03-2003, 04:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

nela HB User

Hi there! Glad to hear Robert is doing well! It must have been a very stressful experience. Good luck!

Old 03-03-2003, 06:20 AM   #4
Veteran

Momofa4yrold HB User

I am so sorry you had to go through that. I had to go through the same thing with my now 4 yr old son when he was 4 weeks old. I had the flu and my husband had the flu, so I knew when he got sick it was the flu. But, his temp shot up to over 102 and I took him in to the ER. They did the same thing to my son. Took blood from his arm, they did catherize him, and gave him an IV and x-rays. It was terrible!! and the worse part was they made ME hold him down for all of the tests. I swore I would never take my baby back to the ER unless he was really bad.

I am so sorry Robert and you had to go through that! Just try to take comfort in that he probably don't remember any of that terrible ordeal. Even though it will be in your mind for a long time.

------------------
due 07/27/2002

Old 03-03-2003, 09:45 AM   #5
Inactive

lovelyme HB User

My child had a 106 temp at 5 months and they said had she been under 2 months she would have needed a lumbar puncture also. And that if the blood work showed nothing then at that point she would too. Meningitis is going around so I understood and that is the ONLY sure detection of it. My 3 year old DID get a S.T. in October and it was horrifying for me to hear her screaming from down the hall even with pain meds. She fought them the whole time. Verced, thank goodness, makes them forget the whole thing though. TO this day she can't rememebr anything, but a "shot" in her back.

It sounds like RObert is on the mend so I will keep prayers handy for him that he continues to heal.

------------------
Marie
Baby's Arrival Expected August 2, 2003

Old 03-03-2003, 04:05 PM   #6

fntsyangel HB User

I went thru this EXACT same thing when Kai was 5 weeks old. Two days before he had to be rushed via ambulance to the ER for anaphylaxis. He had a fever the night before and that morning. Thankfully when we got to the hospital his fever had broke. I agreed to the cathetarization to check for urinary infection and the bloodwork to check the white count, but told them that unless his white count came back elevated there was no way they were doing a spinal and they were not giving him IV antibiotics (also the norm for a fever in a baby under 3 mo)! He had what appeared to be a cold, for goodness sake! We later learned that what he actually had was an early allergic reaction to the formula.

I can understand them wanting to be cautious, but geeze!! I would think that in erring on the side of caution, they would want to AVOID the IV meds and tap unless the bloodwork shows a problem!

------------------
Angel, et al

Old 03-03-2003, 08:30 PM   #7
(female)

maglib HB User

Thanks all. Robert is doing well. No fever, his eyes look much better and he has wheezing and congestion in his nose. He is back to his normall awake almost all the time phase but, is very irratated and can't sleep like when he first got the shots. I hope the shots (although they claim they didn't) aren't the underlying problem. Next shots I will make them do each one seperately and space them apart.

Well I am now coming down with something and my eye is slightly pink and my throat hurts.

Seems like we constantly have someone sick at home.

Old 03-04-2003, 11:21 AM   #8
(female)

Jules211 HB User

hey maglib- sorry to hear about your experience... I just posted a question on the immunizations shots because I am terrified of a reaction also. Now hearing your story I am even more scared! I am glad to hear Robert is doing better though. Dylan is almost constantly congested and has a dry cough sometimes so I am going to ask his doc. He almost never runs a temp though so I don't take him in for it (allergies maybe?). Have you tried a nasal bulb with the saline nose spray? I did that once when Dylan was really stopped up and having trouble breathing through his nose and it seemed to work since the spray made him really runny. I hope you feel better soon.

Old 03-04-2003, 10:48 PM   #9

ctseverson HB User

I am so sorry you had to go through that with your little one. How awful that must have been for you and for him. I am glad he is doing better - my daughter also had to have a s.t. when she was just a few weeks old. Seems that that is just the standard procedure. Seems like way too painful a thing to be standard.

Best wishes to you and yours-
Tina

Closed Thread