It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2003, 09:26 AM   #1

aev30 HB User
Question Does LEEP procedure complicate pregnancy??

Hi! I just found out I am pregnant(only about 5 weeks) and I have so many concerns. I had a LEEP procedure done about 2 years ago for pre-cancerous cells on my cervix. I have had 2 normal pap smears since then so everything seems to be fine. I was wondering if anyone knows if because I had the LEEP are there any complications that could result from that?!? I am trying not to worry but I guess it is normal the first few days you find out to go through a whole range of worrisome thoughts. I am very excited and am glad to have this board for questions. Thanks for reading!

Angel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2003, 09:51 AM   #2
Veteran

chrislove HB User
hello Angel, my df had a leep a couple of years ago also. she is currently 15 weeks pg. at the beginning she spotted brown mostly but some red and pink for the first 9 weeks and also had some cramping which is normal. whether or not this is related to the leep is unknown. We were told by a nurse that she could have been spotting due to scar tissue from the procedure but that as the uterus grew bigger it would act as a pressure dressing and would eventually stop. we had to abstain from relations for a couple of weeks just to be sure and everything turned out fine. Womens bodies heal very well and this is her third pg. She has 2 daughters already but the leep was done after their births. she experienced no spotting with either of them. All is well now except for severe hyperemsis (morning sickness). I would rest your mind and body, I'm sure all will be just fine. You will be going through many changes, if you have questions, talk to your doctor. but it is her experience that 99% of the time all is normal. God bless and take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2003, 08:35 PM   #3
Veteran

wattagirl HB User
i had the leep done-the only side effect i experienced was during the last few centimeters of dialating my doc checked me and said the scar tissue was keeping me from going the rest of the way-he said something like he was gonna break through it-no problem-he did something with his fingers and presto chango it was time to push

Old 02-05-2003, 05:53 PM   #4
Inactive

Eeyore II HB User
It shouldnt compliacte things at all. I have also had it done. there is a small amount of scar tissue and I dont dialate very fast but thats all. goiod luck and CONGRATS TO YOU !!

------------------
EDD-AUGUST 15
WISHIN FOR A BABY GIRL

Old 02-06-2003, 08:01 AM   #5

thorn31 HB User
I had a d&c cone biopsy and a yr. later was pg, no problems with that one, last yr. I had the LEEP and I am now 31 wks pg! So far so good! The only thing I have read is it can cause Cervical Incompentence, which can weaken your cervix, make you miscarry or preterm labor. Good luck to you!

Old 02-06-2003, 08:06 AM   #6

aev30 HB User
Smile

Thanks for all your responses! Since this is my first time I am a bit fearful and I really appreciate any help! Thanks again

Old 02-06-2003, 11:25 AM   #7
Veteran

PAISLEY HB User
Hi.
I, too, was concerned about this as it has been a year since my LEEP. I am not TTC nor am I pregnant, but if it happens I just wanted to be sure I would be ok.

It is sooooooo good to know that you are not the only one with a concern or question.

Thanks!!

Old 03-15-2003, 10:12 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

kippy6 HB User
Hi. I've had 2 leeps about 1 1/2 years ago. I'm now pregnant with my 4th child, but this pregnancy will be different as this is my first pregnancy since my Leeps (different in that they will be watching me more closely). The OB told me that the only thing they will be watching is signs of incompetant cervix.

As I approach the 5th month of pregnancy, they will be watching me more closely. I was told by the OB to notice when Braxton Hicks contractions start, or any tightening of my abdomen, and let them know so they can see how my cervix is holding up.

The OB also sent me to get an ultrasound to measure my cervix to determine how long my cervix is after the operations. Turns out the leeps I had did not take much of the cervix away.

However, they will still be monitoring me more closely than before. Now I'm about 18 weeks along, and the OB just scheduled me for a 2 wk. visit instead of a 4 wk. visit. Not to say that she will do this every month. I don't know about that yet.

Also, sometimes as you get closer to the 3rd trimester, if it looks like your cervix may be trying to open up too soon, they can put a couple of stitches in to help keep it closed...I get the impression that's not a big deal.

Oh, one more thing I remembered...after looking at your cervix, and using other criteria, your OB may or may not restrict you from doing certain types of activity such as jogging or tennis because of the bouncing. I played in a doubles tennis league with my last (pre-leep) pregnancy until the 38th week. Now, with this pregnancy, I'm just using my own discretion, and I've decided to take a break from tennis for this pregnancy because of the Leep. Not saying that you need to do this...just ask your doctor.

You can read about Incompetant Cervix in What to Expect when Your Expecting. It gives a little information.

Old 03-24-2003, 04:07 PM   #9

MelissaRN HB User
I just wanted to say "thanks" for all those who have responded. I,too, was concerned whether or not any problems would come about from this LEEP procedure. I am 23 years old and one of the things that I so desire in life is to be able to bear children within the next couple of years. Today I found out that I needed this LEEP procedure for cervical dysplasia and I am devastated--I didn't know if I would still be able to have children nor if there would be any complications; however, this site has given me hope and confidence that everything will turn out just fine when it is time for me to bear children.
Again, "Thank you all" for reassuring the readers that all will be fine

Old 05-10-2006, 04:12 AM   #10
(female)

Leigh Butler HB User
Re: Does LEEP procedure complicate pregnancy??

I live in New Zealand and have had 2 loop diathermys done. A year apart about 8 years ago. I am now 11 weeks pregnant and as I only have abot 1/4 of my cervix left I have been told that I won't be able to give birth naturally and will have to limit my activities in about three months. This is my second child but 12 years apart. I am getting a second opinion as I would rather be under a mid-wife but have been told that I have to be under an OBE. Has anbody else had this experience.

Old 05-10-2006, 07:43 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

bridget021182 HB User

I had a leep procedure in August of 2004. My doc at that time never told me of any complications even when I asked him as plain as could be. I was pregnant last year and he was the ob that I went to and again he never said anything about it. I only got to 9 weeks with that pregnancy (ex hubby forced an abortion). I am now 23.4 weeks pregnant and seeing midwives. They told me that the only thing is I might have difficulty dialating. So far everything is great. I go to see them in 1 1/2 weeks. I am still seeing them every 4 weeks but only my next 2 appts.

Old 05-10-2006, 09:51 AM   #12
(female)

cincbcat HB User

I have had two LEEP's, and at 13.5 weeks I had to have a cerclage for an incompetent cervix. My cervix already started shortening, but thankfully I have a Dr. who was monitoring me very closely and caught it before my cervix started to funnel. The cerclage was a very uncomfortable experience, but it is totally worth it to save my baby from being miscarried or pre-term. There is hope even with multiple procedures.

Old 05-15-2006, 01:47 PM   #13
(female)

renau2e HB User

It's nice to hear that so many people have gone on to have successful pregnancies after a Leep procedure.
I had a Leep/Laser done on Feb. 7th, 2006. I am now 6 weeks pregnant with my first child only months after the operation. I am SO scared that I will miscarry this baby because of the fact that the Leep was done only 3 months ago!
Are there any women out there who became pregnant so soon after??
Any advice or help would be appreciated!!

Thanks, Sarah

Old 05-15-2006, 06:05 PM   #14
(female)

ilovesporty HB User

Sarah,
I know how you feel! I had a cone biopsy and now DH and I are TTC. I'm excited but nervous at the same time! I'm sure you're doctor will be following you closely.

Take care,
Meg

Old 05-17-2006, 12:24 PM   #15
(female)

**Peaches** HB User

I had a LEEP on Sept. 13/05 and conceived two weeks later on Sept. 28/05. I am now 35 weeks. Who knew that a LEEP actually makes the cervix more 'ripe' for conception!?! I've had bleeding throughout my entire pregnancy - Dr. says this is due to the LEEP and now increased blood flow to my cervix from being pregnant. I've had 3 ultrasounds (7 weeks, 13 weeks, 20 weeks) and all have shown that my cervix is plenty long. It's been explained to me that the cervix has 2 openings. One at the top to the uterus, and one at the bottom where they did the LEEP. So as long as the top one is shut up tight, and the cervix is long enough, we're good to go. I've heard that if it's been a while since your LEEP you may have troubles dilating for delivery due to scar tissue - not sure if that is true, but wouldn't apply to us anyway.

Last edited by **Peaches**; 05-17-2006 at 12:24 PM.

Closed Thread