It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2003, 03:34 PM   #1

Heather0678 HB User
Unhappy 5 weeks 2 days....no heartbeat or embryo detected?

I found out 2 weeks ago that I am pregnant. At my doctor visit we were not able to hear a heartbeat on doppler. It seems I havent had a period in 2 mths. By pelvic exam the Dr. says my uterus feels like I could be 6 weeks pregnant. I went for a vaginal ultrasound a few days after and was told the sac and yolk were visible but no embryo and I guess no heart sounds. She told me it may be too early and I should come back in about 1 week.Ultrasound measurements were determined I am 5 weeks 2 days pregnant. Now today I called and talked to my dr's nurse practioner (my doc is on vacation)about the ultrasound report. She says since no heartbeats were heard and embryo was not visible (at 5 weeks) it looks like I may have had a miscarriage. From what Ive heard it is very likely that 5 weeks 2 days is too early to detect any of this so I dont know why she would just tell me that. I said to her that it could be possible its just too early to tell and she said thats why I need to come back next week. I dont know if she wanted to assume a miscarriage so early for me because she thinks its best to be pessimistic about this. I quess my questions are: At 5 weeks preg. is it usual to not hear a heartbeat or see the embryo on vaginal ultrasound? What is seeing the sac and yolk mean but no embryo? Could I have had a miscarriage without any symptoms of one (cramping, bleeding, etc..)? How long after a miscarriage would I have symptoms of it? This is my 3rd pregnancy. With both of them I never felt tired early on, had tender breasts, or morning sickness until at least after 2 mths preg. I did have increased appetite. This time mt breast are swollen (not tender) and I dont have much of an appetite but my stomach always looks bloated. Do you always have increased appetite early in pregnancy? I know this is a lot of questions, I hope someone can help me. I am worried sick. Thanks so, so much. I would appreciate any info at all. Take care, Heather

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2003, 03:45 PM   #2
Inactive

Eeyore II HB User
First off I wanna say im sorry you are going through all of this.
I don not think the heartbeat is dected with a doppler at 5 weeks just an u/s.
and from what I have heard others on here talk about are it can be too early to see abythin also.
My first u/s was at 7 weeks and we couldnt hear the heartbeat without an u/s until around the 12 week.
I would call another doc and get another opinion if everything is ok maybe even switch to another doc. If you are really reallyu worried and can not wait to know (like I know I would be) I would go to the E.R. and have them see for you they will do a u/s there.
I hope and pray you are carrying a healthy baby.I have never had a miscarriage before but this being your third baby yes I think you would of know if you have had one.

------------------
EDD-AUGUST 15
WISHIN FOR A BABY GIRL

Old 03-25-2003, 07:33 PM   #3
Veteran

chrislove HB User
We had an ultrasound at 5 weeks and 6 days and it was still too early to show a heartbeat. You can't hear it (and only by u/s) until after the 6th week. You can hear it at the docs office by doppler after about 11 weeks and that may still be too early to detect. It is soo small. The yolk sac is all we saw at our first u/s. I too would try to find another doc or get a second opinion with another do c in that office if there is one. You shouldn't have to worry about this at a delicate time, so I hope you will try to get an appt as soon as possible. I hope that all goes well and you feel great soon. Take care Chris (expecting my first child with my df Valerie)

Old 03-25-2003, 08:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kippy6 HB User
Hi. It is very likely that it is too early to tell. I have a friend who had the same thing happen to her. I'd have to get the details (as to how far along she was) from her again, but the doctors were convinced that she had a miscarriage based on the findings from the ultrasound. They had an appt. for a DNC, when another one of her friends knocked at her door, and began to tell her that there have been cases where they haven't found a heartbeat on U/S, but weeks later they find one. You can research this on the internet. I remember when she was going through this, it was a very difficult time. I even searched things on the internet too. My friend and her husband decided not to have the DNC based on their friends new info., and as it turned out, weeks later they did see the heartbeat!!!! We all felt it was just a miracle!!!! These things do happen.

Old 03-25-2003, 10:46 PM   #5

Heather0678 HB User
I really appreciate all your responses. It is comforting . I have done some research on the internet and thats why I also thought it could be just to soon. That nurse just sounded so negitive. Since my doc is on vacation she said my ultrasound reports were looked at by a different doc in the office. I am supposed to call Mon for an appt again. I cant believe she just acted like at 5 weeks w/ no heartbeat or embryo detected she knew it was a miscariage. I have not had symptoms of one yet either. Im hoping it is just too soon to tell. Ive read everywhere that if your second ultrasound doesnt detect anything (by 8 weeks) it is most likely a failed pregnancy. Im not sure about that either. I hope when I go in next week at 6 weeks preg. something shows up if not they will probably really be making me think Ive lost it. I think my insurance pays for only two ultrasounds. Thanks you all!

Old 03-25-2003, 11:20 PM   #6

fntsyangel HB User
It is utterly ridiculous for her to say that at 5w 2 d!! There isnt even a fetus at that point! The amniotic sac and yolk sac have just barely formed by then. It is still cells/zygote! The baby doesnt usually form until about 7 weeks. I dont think you have anything to worry about, and you should also tell your doctor that the nurse unnecessarily upset you without good cause.

*EDIT* I just noticed you said you have not had a period in 2 months. Do you mean by this that by LMP you should be 8 or more weeks along? If that is the case, then the nurse *may* be correct. In that case, it would be a blighted ovum, which does not necessarily give symptoms of miscarriage, because the body still believes itself to be pregnant. I hope for you that this is not the case. (((HUGS))) and good luck.

Also, insurance only pays for 2 ultrasounds in an assumed normal pregnancy. If there are any complications, they will pay for as many as the doctor feels necessary. During my last pregnancy I was on state medical, which normally is very stringent on the ultrasound front. I had something like 8 ultrasounds and they had no problem with it because the doctor indicated them as medically necessary to assure the safety of the pregnancy.

------------------
Angel, et al

[This message has been edited by fntsyangel (edited 03-26-2003).]

[This message has been edited by fntsyangel (edited 03-26-2003).]

Old 03-26-2003, 07:48 AM   #7
Veteran

Momofa4yrold HB User
Are you spotting? Have they done a blood test to check you levels? A blood test could confirm the 5 weeks pregnancy. Or if your levels are not that high, then it is possible you are about to miscarry. It is not possible to judge a miscarriage on a heart beat at 5 weeks. They should have done blood work.

I had a M/C at 4 weeks a couple of years ago, but I was spotting every day from day one. My doctor kept doing blood tests every week to see if my levels were rising. They stopped rising at 4 weeks and I started my period. The ultrasound showed a sac. So, they did not tell me M/C until my levels stopped rising. I did not have any pain. It was just like a normal period.

------------------
Chloe is due 07/27/03

Old 03-26-2003, 08:23 AM   #8
Veteran

angelsen HB User
Talking

I pray all is truly well with you and your little one! I think nurses do always assume the worst! When I started to bleed early on they just told me to put my feet up and that I could be starting to m/c and there was nothing to be done. Nice, huh?! As it turned out I had a cyst. They are not the most comforting most of the time that is for sure!

I still say that it is definitely too early to see anything if indeed you are 5wks. Like it was said earlier the baby hasn't even started to form into a body yet. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions until you have proof of something totally wrong.

Even at 6 wks would the body be forming yet? I don't recall. But I pray all is well! Please keep us informed!!!! (((((hugs)))))

God Bless,
Angel
edd 8/1

Old 03-26-2003, 09:40 AM   #9

Heather0678 HB User
I just feel so worried and stressed over this. I asked them about my blood work and all she would just say "well we have to do more blood work to see if levels have went up". I had been taking a med for anxiety before all this and had to abruptly stop when finding I was pregnant you would think they would try to be more sensitive toward that. My ultrasound did measure at 5 weeks 2 days so I dont think I could be any further. I cant wait until my doc gets back. Im going to try to get an appt this coming Mon. I glad I found this site, you all have been a big help with this. Its nice to get an understanding point of view and know I shouldnt just give up on this yet. Have a nice day everybody!

Old 03-26-2003, 10:13 AM   #10
Inactive

dingo_102 HB User
I really hope things are okay for you. I know you have to be very worried and upset.
Just keep faith and I am praying for you!!

April

Old 03-26-2003, 12:14 PM   #11
Veteran

LadyLight HB User
Heather - Please don't worry. You are very early yet and the same thing happened to me and I am now 15 wks pg with a happy healthy baby! When I went in at around 5 weeks we saw the yolk sac but it looked very tiny and there was concern that all may not be developing correctly/OR It was just too early. Went back a week or so later and there was my baby's heartbeat flashing on the u/s just as happy as could be. The last u/s I had was at 11 wks and I panicked when we couldn't hear the heartbeat with a doppler so we did a vaginal sonogram and we saw the baby moving and having a great time! You are just very early that's all.

Be careful what doctor's tell you and trust in your instincts! Take care and best wishes for a happy healthy baby!

Old 03-26-2003, 12:40 PM   #12

LEILANI HB User
Thumbs up

hi sweetie

i know what you are oing through it is nothing nice to go through. i have been P twice and still have no kids. my last pg was in Nov, 2001 i went to doctor and they told me i was 7 or 8 weeks just by going from the first day of my last AF they did no u/s so i went home then a few days later i started spotting and i called them back and they said you are going through implantation and not to worrie. so i tryed not to then it got heavier and i had a little cramping so i went to the ER and they gave me an u/s and could not find any baby but my body was PG. so they told me i needed a DNC so i had one done this was a bad experiance for me but my first pg it was a tubel pg and that was very, very pain full. i don't want to scar you just want to give you a heads up on what can happen. i wish the best for you and baby PLEASE DO NOT STRESS IT IS NOT GOOD .

lots of (((((((HUGS))))))

LEILANI

Old 03-26-2003, 11:17 PM   #13

Heather0678 HB User
You all been great, thank you so much! I really like this place and hope this pregnancy is a good one, I would like to keep talking to you all. Ill let you know what I find out (I go for appt. this coming week). Take care and thanks for your prayers

Old 03-27-2003, 01:50 AM   #14
Veteran

JsBaby HB User
Hi Heather - you and I are very close in EDD I think - I will be 5 weeks tomorrow, my EDD is 28/11/03, how about you? We have a November moms thread going also if you'd like to join to compare notes

I go to the doc's today, I'm wondering what they'll do and say at this point too.

------------------
EDD 28/11/03

****sticky baby dust wishes****

Old 03-27-2003, 10:19 AM   #15

Heather0678 HB User
Hi JsBaby......so is everything going normal for you so far? With hearing heartbeat and everything or do you still find out also? Anyway, I cant wait to go back to doc. I havent thought much about my EDD because of all the uncertainty Im going through. If everything does show up good for me I quess my EDD will be around that time also. I have an 8 yr old whose birthday is 11/26. Oh that will be something! Two so close together. With both of my chldren i have went the full two weeks overdue. Hopefully, I can have one of my babies when they are really expected, lol. Take care. Good luck at your apppointment.

Closed Thread