It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2003, 11:15 AM   #1
Inactive

siren24 HB User
Red face Anyone else losing brain function?????

I swear I am losing my mind.... in the last 24 hours I have 1) bombed a test I studied for because I couldn't remember ANYTHING
2) bombed a test that I completely forgot about
3) lost $20 in cash AND the check card in the 10 minutes between Walmart and my house
4) Stopped by the grocery store near my house (that I always walk to) and walked home, forgetting my car.
Please console me. I've heard many moms say that pregnancy makes you dumb. I actually read a European study that says that the brain shrinks 2% during pregnancy because the blood flow is diverted from non- essential parts to the baby. Non-essential, being, apparently memory function. They say that the brain requires so much blood to work properly, and it just doesn't get it during pregnancy. Have any of you been extra dumb lately? I just need to know I'm not alone in my stupidity.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2003, 11:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

autumnleaves HB User
Oh my god! You made me laugh out loud! And I'm at work! I am not pregnant (I don't think) but am trying and I am in the same boat. I also lost my debit card yesterday while walking from McDonalds on the first floor to my fifth floor office. And it was IN MY HAND when I left McDonalds!!!!!! I cannot believe you walked home and left your car at the store! I am hysterical here!!!! I am sorry about the $20 and the bombing the tests, though. That kind of stinks, doesn't it? Thank you for making me smile today! I hope the day gets better for you... http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_up.gif

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2003, 11:42 AM   #3
Veteran

angelsen HB User
Talking

Hey Siren,

I can totally relate!! I'm sorry to hear about the bombed tests! I have been forgetting the simplest of things and especially names of people in church that I have known for years and appts.

I hope you day gets better!! You are pretty cute though you left your vehicle and walked home?! That sounds like something I would do!!

You can tell me one thing on minute and the next I couldn't tell you what you said. The other night was sooo funny. My dh and I were talking and I think one of us asked a question, there was a pause for only a second and then we looked at each other and couldn't remember what we were just talking about not even the subject. I think my sweet dh is having sympathy.

My dh suffered the mood swings in the beginning, not me. Now he is getting pain around his hips. It will be interesting to see how it progresses. Oh also he has been so hungry lately and I am the opposite.

Have a great day!!!

God Bless,
Angel
edd 8/1/03

Old 02-12-2003, 11:49 AM   #4

crazy2tryagain HB User
Siren: I'm not pg, but I laughed so hard when I read your post, I just had to thank you for brightening my day! I do have a friend thats 7mths pg and we always call her "rainwoman" (after the movie Rain Man), because she never forgets anything! She's the kind of person that remembers everyone else's birthdays and anniversaries...its crazy. But during her pg, she is so forgetful! She does such silly things and we all tease her because its the only chance we will get too! Otherwise, she's on top of her game!

Sorry to hear about the bombed tests! But it was a funny story anyway!

Later! Jodie

Old 02-12-2003, 01:02 PM   #5
Inactive

siren24 HB User
I'm glad I made you guys laugh. Humor is the ONLY way to deal with my life lately. Angel, I haven't forgotten anyone's name at church yet, but when I was reading your post I thought... OH CRAP! Because it's Wednesday and I teach the preschoolers at church tonight. I had forgotten to even look over the lesson. I had even really forgotten that I had church tonight. So, thanks for reminding me!

Old 02-12-2003, 01:08 PM   #6
Veteran

angelsen HB User
Talking

Hey Siren I hope everything goes well looking over the lesson and don't forget between now and then that you have church tonight! LOL I am glad I reminded you though!! Isn't pregnancy such a wonderful interesting thing?!!

Have a great day!!

God Bless,
Angel
edd 8/1/03

Old 02-12-2003, 02:51 PM   #7

friendlyunit HB User
Talking

siren, I too laughed out loud!!
Thanks for putting a smile on my face today during a rough day at work. I hear ya all the way!!!
I take comfort in knowing that it will all go back to normal (I hope):P

------------------
Take Care All,
Tam
EDD 03/28/03
London Belanger
born March 12 @ 9lbs 6oz

Old 02-12-2003, 03:28 PM   #8

Tiff Tiff HB User
I feel kind of out of it. i went to walmart today with my boyfriend and i was just being so lazy. i had gum in my mouth and took it out and stuck it on a piece of plastic i had in my hand (cuz i think it's totally rude to stick it somewhere where the workers have to clean it up). and i forgot about it and i was tired of holding all the stuff i was holding so my bf took it off my hands. he put it up against his shirt... no.. his FAVORITE shirt, and got gum all on it. it was gross i felt awful i almost cried. i'm a mess i feel awful, plus i'm tired. at least you can laugh about you losing your mind but i feel stupid and my story is more pathetic than funny.

Old 02-12-2003, 07:01 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

crystalll HB User
I'm pregnant AND blonde. I'm in big trouble! Let me tell you, I'm a well educated, intelligent person...
No word of a lie:

1) 3 weeks ago I pulled away from a gas pump with the nozzle still in the tank.

2) 2 weeks ago I locked my keys in the car while I was picking up a few groceries on my lunch hour (in sub zero temperatures).

3) The real clincher - a week ago I got LOST driving to work! I've been driving the same route for over a year! In my defence, it was foggy. I ended up going 20 miles out of my way on a four-lane highway.

So, yeah, I've definitely lost my brain function!

Crystal

[This message has been edited by crystalll (edited 02-12-2003).]

Old 02-12-2003, 08:06 PM   #10

newlittlemomma HB User
It is sooooooooooo good to know that i'm not the only one losing my mind and all ability to function in normal society. I'm a waitress, so listening to people is something i HAVE to do to make money. I swear, i'll be looking right at them and paying no attention at all to what they are saying. I'm running out of excuses to use as to why they need to repeat everything they say. Also, the other day i was cleaning my bathroom and then i was gonna wash the floors to the bathroom and kitchen. After i was done with the counters and sink and stuff of the bathroom(i hadn't put anything back yet, its all on the floor), i picked all the rugs up from the kitchen and hallway to wash the floors. Meanwhile, a movie was on that i had never seen--would you believe i sat for the next hour and a half watching the movie. when it was over i couldn't figure out where my rugs were and why my bathroom looked like it did when we moved in here. who forgets that they were cleaning not one but two rooms? the funnier thing is we will never miss an apt to hear the heartbeat or see the u/s. i guess our memory works sometimes.

------------------
EDD July 9th

Old 02-12-2003, 08:32 PM   #11

bruised HB User
Actually my friend was telling me about her pg cousin.She was in the kitchen running water and got side tracked by her other child,so she went to check on him and when she got back 1HR LATER the whole kitchen was flooded!!10,000$worth of pg memory loss!!Could you imagine?NOT!!!

Old 02-12-2003, 08:39 PM   #12
(female)

maglib HB User
Sad to say......you never gain it all back! Ever since my first, I can't remember names of people whom I don't see all the time and sometimes even those I do see alot. It gets worse for every pg too. I had my third 4 weeks ago and I keep going home the wrong way. My mind is sidetracked with all the kid and baby stuff all the time that my brain just can't stay on straight!

Old 02-12-2003, 10:41 PM   #13

dinhtran HB User
Unhappy

Oh my God, I thought it was just me! I have a very short attention span too. I can't sit there and listen to people explain things for long. It is like my brain is sooo tired to think for itself. Now is the baby taking the brain cells from their mother too?? I just hope it comes back. My husband laughs at my absentmindedness; he thinks its kind of cute but I am worried.

Serena

Old 02-12-2003, 10:52 PM   #14
Inactive

siren24 HB User
New and recent: I prepayed for my gas at the gas station and bought other stuff, then drove off without pumping my gas. I bet they wish they had that kind of drive off more often!!! Will it ever end?????

Old 02-14-2003, 09:36 AM   #15
(female)

Jules211 HB User
OMG this sounds just like me when I was pg- it is a miracle I passed two classes late in my pregnancy... I was always forgetting something- locking my keys in the car and being late- the good news is you will get your brain back after your baby arrives!!!

Closed Thread