It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2003, 02:06 PM   #1

lighthearted HB User
Question CAN YOU GET PREGNANT IF YOUR TUBES ARE TIED FOR 3YEARS

I am a married mother of 3 & I got my tubes tied 3 yrs & 3 mo ago. I think I am pregnant...

------------------

Old 02-28-2003, 02:21 PM   #2

FrostyKitten HB User
You may be what they call a "super-fertile" person. It is uncommon, but it DOES happen. Soem people are just SO fertile that tubal litigation and vasectomies just don't work. Eggs still find there way to the uteris, and the sperm still get's there. If you are indeed PG you may have to have a full hysdarectomy to solve the problem. Scary thought, but if you are super-fertile, there isn't much else you can do!

------------------
Stephanie
EDD- March 13, 2003 (Hubby'sBirthday!)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2003, 02:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

tcb0609 HB User
I believe, but I may be wrong, that there is still a chance of pregnancy if your tubes have been tied. I don't think you can get pregnant if they have been cut and tied. This is just what I've heard, so I'm not positive. If you think you are pregnant, take a hpt. It can't hurt, it will just put your mind at ease.

Old 02-28-2003, 02:53 PM   #4

snowbug HB User
There most definitely is a chance of getting pg with "tied" tubes. Sometimes even if the tubes have been cut they can grow back together. I suppose it depends on the type of surgery and cut/tie technique used. Sounds freaky but it does happen. The same holds for a vasectomy. The percentages may be low, but of course if you are the ONE that thinks you are safe and end up pg, that doesn't help much!
I have a new edition textbook than lists the failure rates for vasectomy as between .10 and .15%, and for tubal ligation at .5%.

[This message has been edited by snowbug (edited 02-28-2003).]

Old 03-02-2003, 03:30 PM   #5

crazy2tryagain HB User
A friend of mine had her tubes tied 15 years ago and was able to get pregnant! Her doctor told her that her tubes "grew back together". I'd never heard of that one before. However, at the age of 41, she delivered a healthy baby girl! She thought that she was entering menopause and was suprised to find out she was actually 4 months pregnant!! YIKES!! Good luck to you!

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif Jodie

Old 03-07-2003, 01:56 PM   #6

scrappin'girl HB User
I will be 42 years old this weekend. I had my tubes cut and tied in may of 2000. I thought maybe I was going through the change or something, but I took a pregnancy test last month and found out I was indeed pregnant. It can happen! I had my 2 girls just before I was 40 and didn't really want anymore, but I am ok with it. The next step I hear is to completely remove the tubes. Good luck to you if you are pregnant!

Old 03-07-2003, 02:01 PM   #7

CURIOUSCHICK HB User
I did a lot of research on fallopian tubes when I had an ectopic. The fact that eggs can even get through tied tubes gave me hope that I'd have a similar miracle if my tubes were blocked unintentionally! It's very possible.

I'm sure it's scary if you weren't planning it, but I truly beleive that if this happened to you, God wants you to have another baby! Maybe you are just a really good mom!

Good luck!

Old 04-07-2003, 08:16 AM   #8

lighthearted HB User
Wink

I am sorry - that I have not gotten back to any of you wonderful ladies who responded to my question. I wanted to thank all of you who read and responded. Well, I had my last AF (very light) on 03-08-03 usually lasts for 4-5 days and it only lasts 3 but I decided to brush it off... But my body continue to feel like I was still PMSing (lower back aches, headaches, cramping, etc.) I am late 4 days now and my breast are so tender and I have a low grade back pain. So, tell me --- do you think it's possible... that I may be pg even if my tubes has been tied 3 plus years ago. I truly would like to have another baby.
Thanks for reading and I am eager to read all responses.
love you all,
lighthearted
I am sorry - I added this twice I didn't see it posted at first ----
------------------

[This message has been edited by lighthearted (edited 04-07-2003).]

[This message has been edited by lighthearted (edited 04-07-2003).]

Closed Thread