It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2003, 01:18 PM   #1

1sttimefather HB User
Red face Drinking & Pre-Pregnancy

During the past two weeks she has gone "out" around five times. On a couple of these occasions she has drank pretty heavily, well for her as she doesn't drink regularly. Now that we belive she is pregnant, what effects on the child could this have. Should we be very concerned, consult a doctor? The drinking occured sometime after ovulation and before she should have had her period. Thanks.

Old 04-16-2003, 01:27 PM   #2

moni1 HB User
I wouldn't worry too much. With my first pregnancy I drank every night for 4 days (was visiting an old friend) and after that I was on some strong medication for a sinus infection. I didn't know I was pregnant. Everything turned out fine. This time around I had x-rays and had an occasional glass of wine and mud slide, and didn't know I was pregnant. My OB said that was OK and not to worry. Start fresh from here.
Babe #2 c-section 11/06

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2003, 01:35 PM   #3

Evanescence HB User
I've read somewhere that drinking mostly affects the baby during the second trimester, when the brain is forming..this is when the brain can be damaged by alcohol and cause FAS. I've read that if you drank before you even knew you were pregnant, because it was so early, that you don't have much to worry about. Just make sure that she DEFINITELY doesn't drink ANY MORE...and talk to a doctor soon. Because I'm pretty sure about what I read, but I'm not a doctor, either. Just don't worry. I'm sure everything will be fine.
=)

------------------
-"You have a boyfriend, and I have...a baby and a Ross!"--Rachel

EDD-12/22/03

Old 04-16-2003, 01:56 PM   #4
Inactive

siren24 HB User
I drank 2-3 glasses of wine every night about a week after I would've concieved (DH's family was here), and spray painted a bunch of furniture inhaling all those fumes. So when I found out for sure, I freaked out and asked the doc. He said that it probably won't cause any problems.

I'm going to go out on a limb here. I hope I don't get jumped on for saying this. I haven't had a drop of alcohol since I've been pregnant. First, I'd rather be safe than sorry, (it's just not that much of a sacrifice to me) and secondly I wouldn't want to deal with opinions and comments from people who saw me drinking.
However, in many cultures since the beginning of time, everyone drank wine. In some points in history in some parts of the world, wine was safer than the water and babies have been born healthy. I also have friends who have been pregnant while living in Europe, and they told me it's not at all uncommon or unaccepted for pregnant women to drink moderately, and their babies are fine.
Most of the studies you see on increased risks and FAS, the women drank at least daily. The medical community aggrees that "no level of alcohol is considered safe" but they also say that the research on light use is simply not available. Don't get me wrong. I don't believe drinking during pregnancy is okay. There are some risks that shouldn't be taken, and let me reiterate that I haven't had a drop since I found out I was pregnant. But I do believe our culture has made WAY too big an issue out of this. I guess all I'm trying to say is it's my personal belief (though I admit, I'm no scientist) that small amounts of alcohol like wine (which science is actually coming to find can be very good for you used correctly) won't harm your baby. But I have chosen to abstain until I can know for certain that this is true. This is not something that I'd recommend you or your wife worry about.

Old 04-16-2003, 10:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kippy6 HB User
That is interesting about the PG women over in Europe. I hadn't heard of this. You've made an interesting point. Me too... I'm refraining until after the baby is born.

[This message has been edited by kippy6 (edited 04-17-2003).]

Old 04-17-2003, 06:36 AM   #6

Karcia HB User
Really, just think about the fact that the first 5 weeks of pregnancy, we don't even know we are pregnant, so we are doing all sorts of things we shouldn't. I was on medication, and I had a glass of wine, and I ate sushi. My Dr was the most concerned about the sushi, and even then he wasn't worried. The alcohol shouldn't be an issue, but I would definately stop now. My friends are just amazed that over 5 weeks, a person would only have one glass of wine! This is really something you should not be worried about. It happens all the time.

Karcia
Edd 10/01

Closed Thread