It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2003, 05:40 AM   #1
Veteran

OhMyFace HB User
Post Acne medication during pregnancy

Does anyone know of any topical acne medications that you can take during pregnancy or better yet, is there a way to regulate your hormones during that time so that you do not break out?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2003, 06:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kippy6 HB User
What kind of acne do you have?

I'm sorry, but I don't remember what kinds of creams I used. They didn't help me very much with cystic acne. With my 3rd pregnancy, I had friends/acquaintances come up to me and tell me that they've never seen anyone's face break out so badly while pregnant. It was awful. I went to my dermatologist for injections into each acne cyst. That would help, but then I'd have new ones pop up. After having that baby, I decided to go on Accutane, and I haven't had any more problems with it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2003, 06:49 AM   #3

sweetmelf HB User
Hi Kippy6!

Just a little question. Your third child is it a boy or a girl? I am asking because of the acne you were having. I am pregnant with #3 and this time around I am having really bad acne, something I never had when I was pregnant the two previous times (two girls). I know that every pregnancy is different and that it probably doesn't mean anything to compare myself to someone else but I can't help it...

I am hoping for a boy this time and I was wondering if you were pregnant with a boy when you had acne?

Thanks!
Sweetmelf (EDD 10-08-2003)
and baby #3, Alyssa Drew EDD 10-08
IT'S A GIRL!!!

Old 04-17-2003, 07:29 AM   #4

Karcia HB User
I just got back from my doctor less than an hour ago, and I asked him this very question. He said benzoyl peroxide is just fine. I would, personally, watch it a bit during the first trimester, but after that, he said that so little gets into your blood stream that you don't have to worry. Personally, I use Proactive, and couldn't live without it. I found it to be a miracle when I started using it about a year ago, and I stopped when I got pregnant. My acne came back full force, and much worse than before, due to my new oil glands, etc with pregnancy. My dermatologist said it is definately due to pregnancy, the type of rashy acne I was getting. I just started to use the Proactive again, about a week ago, and the difference is night and day. You may have seen it on infomercials, etc. All I do is use the topical benzoyl peroxide lotion once per day instead of twice.
Hope that helps.

Karcia.
Edd 10/01

Old 04-17-2003, 08:33 AM   #5
(female)

shortstuff07 HB User
Talking

Ohmyface:
I just thought I would share with you what I use for my acne. I'm currently ttc and my doc prescribed to me Benzamycin. This is a combination of Erythromycin and benzoyl peroxide. It works very well. It is a topical cream that has to be kept refrigerated. Hope this helps.
DD {Addisyn Sailor} 9/19/08

Baby #4 edd 5/19/10

Old 04-17-2003, 09:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kippy6 HB User
Sweetmelf, hi! Well, before I answer that, let me tell you that during my 2nd pregnancy (a boy), I had some problems with my face breaking out. So naturally, during my 3rd pregnancy, when my whole side of my face was reddish and broken out with large acne cysts, (my face actually looked disfigured from the raised cysts--gross, I know.) I figured that I was going to have one really OBNOXIOUS boy. I was shocked on the day of delivery when I had a girl!! She is the sweetest of all my kids. Kind of an oxymoron, isn't it ? Also, on my first PG, I had a girl, with no skin problems... Sweetmelf, here's to hoping for a boy! It will be interesting to find out...are you going to find out?? Maybe we could start our own acne/gender statistics.

But you know... those creams work for the regular kind of acne, but for deep cysts, they don't do a thing. If you have cystic acne, I'd see a dermatologist right away......Cystic acne leaves scars.

[This message has been edited by kippy6 (edited 04-17-2003).]

Old 04-17-2003, 10:15 AM   #7

sweetmelf HB User
HI Kippy6!

Thank you for answering my post. It gives me hope! I will find out the baby's gender on May 15th (so we'll see about the stats after that...It would be fun to try to find out if there is a link between acne and gender!)! I know I don't have long to wait, but it seems like an eternity to me. It's our last child so we are both really hoping for a boy. We shall see. Like I said, if it's a little girl, I will love her just the same. I feel so grateful and lucky to be pregnant!

Take care,
Sweetmelf (EDD 10-08-2003)

and baby #3, Alyssa Drew EDD 10-08
IT'S A GIRL!!!

Old 04-17-2003, 10:32 AM   #8
Inactive

lovelyme HB User
I have inflammatory Rosacia and am on Metro Gel which is a catagory B med. They said to use it sparingly in a thin layer 2 times a day. It really isn't working that much. Inflammatory Rosacia looks like adult acne and is basically like a cousin of it. After the baby they want to try something internal for me. Then I will be breastfeeding so I am not sure though. Sucks. This pregnancy is the worst one as far as my face is concerned. I never had even a zit problem until my 9th month of pregnancy with baby #2 and it has been down hill ever since. I hear that when you reach 30 that this kinda stuff usually goes away. It sucks to go from having a perfect complexion until age 22 and then now at 24 you are still fighting it.

------------------
Marie
It's A Boy!!
Expected August 2, 2003

Old 04-17-2003, 03:39 PM   #9
Veteran

OhMyFace HB User
Thanks to you all....I was TTC about a year ago, and because I had gone off the pill for the first time in years, I broke out badly. I am dealing with mild to moderate, sometimes cystic acne right now, and I want to go off of the pill right after I clear up, but I am afraid to start the cycle again. It's so sad...finally, I am ready for a baby and my skin freaks out.

Thanks for the tips!

Old 04-17-2003, 06:46 PM   #10

Tiff Tiff HB User
I used to take benzamycin, but they came out with a newer medicine called benzaclyn (i'm pretty sure thats what it's called) and it's the same except it doesnt have to be refrigerated, which is much more convienent! I've been using that.. my face has been breaking out but not too bad, but i know that the medicine is helping lots.

But I was wondering... like after the pregnancy is over, will things get better? like is it possible that my face will never break out again? .. I was just wondering because with my mom, she said that her hair changed forever after she had a kid.. it used to be curly and then it got realy straight. so are there any other effects that could happen?

Old 04-18-2003, 11:49 AM   #11
(female)

shortstuff07 HB User
Benzamycin and Benzaclin are on the same lines, but different. Benzamycin is Erythormycin 3% and benzoyl peroxide 5%. Where as, Benzaclin is a combination of Clindamycin 1% and benzoyl peroxide 5%. I used the topical Clindamycin for a while, but after a while, it didn't get rid of the acne like it should have. That's why I like or favor the Erythromycin blend!!! Just thought I would share!!!

Baby #4 edd 5/19/10

Old 04-18-2003, 12:39 PM   #12
Inactive

lovelyme HB User
My dermo wants me on Tetracyclene after the baby. Anyone had luck with this?

------------------
Marie
It's A Boy!!
Expected August 2, 2003

Old 04-18-2003, 01:25 PM   #13
(female)

shortstuff07 HB User
I was on Minocycline for about 3 years. Minocycline is in the family with Tetracycline(about the same thing). It did ok, but I have alot more success with Erythromycin. I just personally think it is a better antibiotic. Hope this helps a little.

Baby #4 edd 5/19/10

Closed Thread