It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2003, 12:35 PM   #1
Veteran

kmc235 HB User
Post What do those first movements feel like?

I can't recall if this subject has come up before, but it's been weighing heavily on me lately since I'm about 16 weeks and at the stage when some women start to feel movement. I've felt something like air bubbles, but always assume it's gas. I also feel some twinges now and then, but assume it's my growing uterus. What do the actual baby movements feel like? And how can you tell that's what it is? Is it something that you know absolutely for sure when you feel it? Thanks for all of your help on this one!

~~~

EDD 10/1/03

Old 04-16-2003, 12:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

HEAVEN-SENT HB User
Great post KMC, I'm wondering the same thing.

I lie in bed at night and really concentrate on trying to feel a little something, but never do. Hopefully everyone can help us out with this.

I can't wait to feel my first flutter!

------------------
EDD 10/3/03

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2003, 12:44 PM   #3

Karcia HB User
Hi girls:

It looks like the only ones responding so far are the ones who want to know. Kmc, from what I have heard, those air bubbles are probably your baby. I have felt a bit, not every day, and not often at all, but a bit like little twinges. Who knows, and input would be great!

Karcia
Edd 10/01

Old 04-16-2003, 01:24 PM   #4
Veteran

LadyLight HB User
Mine have felt like little butterfly flutters and I would love to feel them more often. I also have a hard time telling exactly when I'm feeling the baby move since I get little pangs here and there and of course growing pains/stretches. Hard to distinguish sometimes. When they did my big u/s last Friday, baby was moving all over but I didn't feel it.

I also really felt the baby do a big move two Sundays ago, I could literally feel the fluid swishing left and right inside me like I had waves in my stomach. That's was strange but awesome, I could barely walk when it happened. Powerful. Baby must have really been swimming then LOL!

Old 04-16-2003, 02:42 PM   #5

sweetmelf HB User
Hi! I am a BTDT mom. This is my third pregnancy so I can help a little. When you start to feel your baby, it feels like air bubbles popping or butterfly flutters (to give another example). As the baby gets bigger you will be able to feel real kicks. Towards the end (I would say 30 plus weeks) you can identify body parts when your baby moves. I will always remember when my first kicked me once and I could really see the shape of her tiny foot through my skin. It was amazing!

Usually, a first time mom will feel her baby move for the first time only around 18-20 weeks. I felt my first for the first time at 18 weeks so don't get discouraged. You will feel him/her soon.

One more thing, I have to recommend prenatal classes to all first time moms. With my first I enrolled in one and the "teacher" showed the fathers-to-be how to massage the baby inside the uterus by craddling the baby with their hands and rocking them gently. They also teach you about the perineal massage to prevent tearing and a lot of useful other things.

Belly rubs
Sweetmelf (EDD 10-08-2003)

[This message has been edited by sweetmelf (edited 04-16-2003).]

[This message has been edited by sweetmelf (edited 04-16-2003).]
and baby #3, Alyssa Drew EDD 10-08
IT'S A GIRL!!!

Old 04-16-2003, 02:59 PM   #6
Inactive

siren24 HB User
The best way I can describe the "flutters" are that is feels like someone is tickling you from the inside. And the bubbles. I had those too, and never knew if they were gas or the baby. Now, however, I feel think they were the baby because I don't feel them anymore since my little one is really kicking.

Old 04-16-2003, 05:11 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

crystalll HB User
I think I've started feeling my baby, but it's really down low, just above my pelvic bone. Is that where everybody else is feeling it? I think I may have seen some movement as well, but it happened so fast! I'll be glad when I KNOW for sure that it's the baby.

Crystal
EDD: Sept. 6/03

Old 04-16-2003, 07:15 PM   #8
(female)

josecori HB User
Smile

Butterflies....I felt them pretty early(can't remeber what month), but I remember mentioning it to the DR & he said it was movement.
From then on out I had the baby heartbeat earphones on every night. It took awhile to hear the heart, but when I did, WOW, was it cool
Corissa

Old 04-19-2003, 05:20 PM   #9
(female)

teapot HB User
I felt my daughter at around 14 - 15 weeks. I had to be in bed laying perfectly still, with hubby not snooring or thrashing around in his sleep. It was a faint, small "twirling" sensation. Like you would feel if you rubbed one finger around the other. As a first time mom to be, it was hard to be sure of what it was. I had amnio at 17 weeks and was feeling this movement before that.

teapot

Old 04-21-2003, 05:54 AM   #10

catnedward HB User
I can't wait to really feel the baby. I sometimes get little flutters or bubbles. When I tell DH he tries to feel the baby and says "Move for your father" but I keep trying to explain that I feel it from inside! I'm a first time mum so I'm never really sure if what I feel is the little one moving! I would also like to feel more movement because the morning sickness has gone

------------------
EDD - October 2 2003

Closed Thread