It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2003, 10:59 AM   #1
(female)

Starbuk498 HB User
Post Anyone have Gestational Diabeties???

Hello all,

I just got a phone call from my doctor telling me that the results of my 50 gm glucose test were slightly high - 157. (Anything over 140 is considered high)

This means that I have to go for the 3 hour glucose test....my doctor's assistant said that it could be from all the carbs I had for lunch. (burger and cheese fries - I know, I know!)

My questions.......

Has anyone had a slightly high 50 gram glucose test, went for the 3 hour test and the tests came back negative for Gestational diabeties?

I am so afraid to have this disease.....can anyone provide any information on how they are effected and their diet? I am 225 lbs..and 5'8" tall....yes, I am overweight - which I know can contribute to this problem.

I am so scared. Can anyone give me any advice on Gestational Diabetis?

Any info that anyone might have will help.

It's going to be a very long weekend.......

thanks much!

------------------
~Stefanie
IT'S A BOY!
~EDD 7/15/03~

Old 04-18-2003, 11:11 AM   #2
Veteran

LadyLight HB User
I don't have any information for you Stephanie but wanted to let you know I'll be thinking of you and wishing you the best on your tests. Praying you don't have GD and if you do that it's easy to deal with. Best of luck and you're in our prayers!

L & J (baby EDD 9/15/03)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2003, 11:24 AM   #3

mirandattc6yrs HB User
I have GD....I don't know if you can or can not flunk one and not the other. Some are able to control it with the diet...I was not able to and am on insulin shots, and following a diet...it has not been that bad at all. Don't stress over it, you and the baby will be fine. Also I am pregnant w/twins so that made mine worse so I had to go to shots. My sister-in-law was only pregnant w/1 and able to control w/ the diet. Everyone is different. I am also overweight, and so is she. But please don't stress or be scared it is ok.

------------------
Best Wishes to All!!
Miranda
Twin Boys!! edd 8/14/2003
25yrs & dh 27yrs
6/25/03
25yrs & dh 27yrs

Old 04-18-2003, 11:48 AM   #4
(female)

Starbuk498 HB User
Ladylight and Miranda,

Thank you so very much for your kind words. I'm so glad that you posted so quickly! Thanks a million....it's terrible sitting inside my head worrying.

Thank you for your kind prayers.....

Miranda, I'm sorry that you have GD, but it sure is a comfort to know that someone is managing it very well.
thank you for all the encouragement. I can really use that right now!

I know that I haven't taked the second (3 hour test) yet, and I'm praying that it comes back negative, but I know that there is a chance since my first test was positive.

I am hoping at this point that it was the lunch and breakfast I had........which were mostly carbs- which turn to sugar.

If I do have it.....I am calmer thanks to you. I really thought that it was going to be this big horrible thing......and since I'm high risk already....it just added to my stress. (I'm high risk because of Lupus - with a positive Antiphospolipid Antibody (it just means I have sticky blood) which I have been taking an asprin a day for since November.

Once again, thank you both for your kind words......and thank you so much for letting me go home today without a ton of worries.....

God bless,

------------------
~Stefanie
IT'S A BOY!
~EDD 7/15/03~

[This message has been edited by Starbuk498 (edited 04-18-2003).]

Old 04-18-2003, 11:57 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

coppertop HB User
Starbuk,
I think that Siren flunked her one hour, but passed her three hour.

Old 04-18-2003, 12:03 PM   #6
Veteran

LadyLight HB User
I also have a blood clotting disorder and have had to give myself two blood thinner shots a day since pg. You know what, it's no big deal! So, even if you had to go to shots for rest of pregnancy (which doubt you will) you will do just great. I'm sure your 3 hr will be just fine. Guess I'll have to do those tests too when I get farther along right?

L & J (baby EDD 9/15/03)

Old 04-18-2003, 01:10 PM   #7
Inactive

siren24 HB User
Hey!!! Coppertop is right. I did fail the 1 hour (with a 197!!) and passed the 3 hr. What happened with mine was a hypoglycemic reaction where my blood sugar goes really high quickly and then bottoms out. My 3 hr showed my blood sugar up to 187 in the 1st hour, but by the 3rd hour it was in the 50's!! And I was passing out and shaking. I do have another friend who failed the 1 hour and passed the 3 hour because of some carbs and a Dr. Pepper she drank before the i hour test. So hopefully you'll be okay. Especially since yours wasn't that high. Good luck!

Old 04-19-2003, 01:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

friendlyrobyn HB User
i aslo tested hight on the 1 hour and did a 3 hour. I wasnt super high on the 3 hour and they said i didnt have gd. I weigh 280 and 5'9...i think skinny people can have it too. I was concerned with testing + for the 3 hour test too. I think i messed up the 1 hour test because i went shopping and even though i was back on time and didnt eat anything they still say i burned off the sugar or something like that...thats why they dont like you to leave and come back every hour....good luck to you

------------------
our first babys EDD 11/27/03 Thanksgiving

Old 04-19-2003, 02:33 PM   #9

catch22catch22 HB User
Hi I am happy to be able to tell you that I did fail the first one hour test, and passed the 3 hour test. My son just turned 5, so it was a while back, but my pregnancy was a rocky one to begin with and was very afraid about that. Correct me if I am wrong but, I believe my dr make me fast before the first hour one and also before the 3 hour test, so I thought for sure I was going to be in deep poop, since I followed the strict orders for the first test.

Good luck, and I hope everything goes well, please keep us posted!! c-22

Old 04-21-2003, 01:56 PM   #10
(female)

Starbuk498 HB User
Thank you all so very much for taking the time out to write and set my mind at ease.

Thanks so very much ladies!

------------------
~Stefanie
IT'S A BOY!
~EDD 7/15/03~

Closed Thread