It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2003, 06:03 PM   #1
Inactive

dingo_102 HB User
Question sleeping question

I always wake up in the middle of the night to find myself either on my stomach or on my back. I know that both of these are not good for the baby. Does anyone else find thereself doing this and is there anything you have tried to do to stop it that has worked? I am so worried about hurting the baby.

Thanks guys,
April
9/19

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2003, 06:50 PM   #2
Veteran

chrislove HB User
They tell ppl who snore alot to sew a tennis ball into the back of their pajamas so they won't sleep on their backs. I suppose it should work for pg women too. Or you could build a wall of pillows on both sides of you...but they could move. I'm usre you'll be fine and your body will let you know if you cut off circulation or you start feeling lots of big movements (soon) from the baby. Take care Chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2003, 08:49 AM   #3
Inactive

siren24 HB User
Hi! I had this problem, too, and my doctor said your body would definitely let you know when you shouldn't be sleeping a certain way. These won't cause problems or cut off blood supply to your baby, but as you get bigger, they can cause some problems in you. When you shouldn't sleep on your tummy anymore, believe me, it will be a physical imposibility. About as comfy as lying on a basketball. I'm 27 weeks and was still able to sleep on my tummy til a month ago or so. Also, if you wake up on your back, contrary to what I've read, my doc said you will not cut off blood supply to your baby (unless you are in labor... not sure why that happens) but the baby & uterus can suppress the veina cava, a major vein to your lungs and stuff and he said "believe me, you'd know if that was happening." I got short of breath and throbby, tingly in my extremities, and a little nauseated immediately. Doc said that's what would happen. And it never did until a couple weeks ago. So I think it depends on the weight of the baby and the size of the uterus. And your body will definitely let you know! I wouldn't worry about it for another few weeks. I can't remember how far along you are, but it shouldn't be a problem yet!

Old 04-18-2003, 12:07 PM   #4
Veteran

LadyLight HB User
I'm with Siren on this one. My doctor just told me the same thing, that sleeping on my back right now wouldn't hurt the baby or sleeping on my right side either. But, that when I get closer then sleeping on back may become an issue to due blocking the veina cava vein as Siren said.

I have always loved sleeping on my back but can't since pg, weight of uterus and baby make me feel ickly / nauseous. I always sleep on my left since pg and that's what's best as you get farther along I guess, helps w/blood flow to baby. Hope that helps.

L & J (baby EDD 9/15 or 9/19/03, they can't decide)

Old 04-22-2003, 10:19 AM   #5
Veteran

angelsen HB User
Hi there,

I find myself on my back often and maybe that's partly what wakes me up. I can't sleep on my back for long because my hips freak out. I try to sleep on my left as much as possible, but have to rotate sides throughout the night because my sides go to sleep.

Like they said earlier if you were sleeping wrong or harmful for your baby your body will tell you! I believe our body has a safety mechanism and will make us aware of problems!

------------------
God Bless!!!!
It's a girl!!!!
Noelle Marie due 8/1

Old 04-22-2003, 10:38 AM   #6

Karcia HB User
I have this problem as well, and I read to put a pillow behind you, but I just don't have the room to do that, so I leave my book behind me. I switch from side-to-side all the time, but if I roll onto my back, the book just wakes me up enough to realize I shouldn't be there, and I roll onto my side instead. It works for me. I am finding that very interesting about the Drs comments that it wouldn't hurt until it was uncomfortable to do. I am being so careful, I guess I can relax a bit. Luckily my left side is the most comfy for me anyhow, it always has been.

Karcia 10/01

Old 04-22-2003, 10:52 AM   #7
Veteran

Momofa4yrold HB User
Really don't worry about it. My doctor said the same thing. She said the people who came up with that theroy obviously didn't have anything else to do with their time. When it becomes dangerous to sleep on your stomach you won't be able to any way.

I sleep on my right side all night. It use to worry me until I talked to my doctor about it.

Now, when I lay on my back for a while it seems like I do get dizzy or lightheaded. So, I just started proping up 2 or 3 pillows and in case I end up on my back in the middle of the night. My doc said if you prop up a little bit it is totally fine. Just try not to lay flat.

------------------
Chloe is due 07/27/03

Closed Thread