It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2003, 08:53 AM   #1
Inactive

lovelyme HB User
Exclamation Safety Tip

When you bring your new baby home, you never think that small objects are an immediate danger. Mostly because anewborn is not mobile. However, older siblings, cousins and children of guests are. Make sure all little things that can be accessed are high enough that they cannot reach. Request that your guests put there purses and small items up even if they sware their children would not get into those items. When my second daughter was born, my first daughter always wanted to be around her. Julia (the oldest) found a penny one day that I never thought she would have taken or even found. I never would have even found it had she not got to it first. She put it in my 9 day old's mouth and after doing back blows (learned this in high school) she coughed it up, but it continued to make her gasp for air. I called 911 and she ended up fine....why.... two reasons: Knowing how to do back blows and the fact that a penny was still too big only by a bit to fit through a newborn espophigus. Had it been a dime or pen cap or anything of that nature she would have likely died even with paramedic assistance. It would have lodged. Newborns gag reflexes are still a bit immature to aid in getting the object up. My daughter found this penny in an old diaper bag I didn't use and had put up in her closet. My change must have fallen out of my change purse and into the bag when I was still using that particular diaper bag. ALWAYS check for these things. I never thought to, but will be sure to this time around!

------------------
Marie
It's A Boy!!
Expected August 2, 2003

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2003, 09:11 AM   #2
Veteran

angelsen HB User
Great tip, Marie!! That is most definitely something to think about and be aware of!!!! I don't have any other kids yet, but I do have young cousins, so I will most assuredly keep that in mind!! I do need to learn how to do back blows too!!! Thanks again for the tip and I am sooo glad you knew how to dislodge the penny!!!!

------------------
God Bless!!!!
It's a girl!!!!
Noelle Marie due 8/1

Old 04-22-2003, 10:08 AM   #3
Veteran

Momofa4yrold HB User
Thanks, Marie. I never really thought about baby proofing again for my 4 yr old, but now I will.

When Austin was 8 months old he got into my Mom's sea shell collection and swallowed a tiny sea shell. I didn't even know he had it. When I layed him down to change his diaper he started gagging and I saw it lodged back in his throat. I imediatly did the back blows and it came shooting out. I learned that in high school too and didn't even know that I still remembered how to do it.

I want to take a refresher coarse in first aid. I think I will see if my hubby wants to do it with me. Because chances are you are going to have to use it sometime or another.

------------------
Chloe is due 07/27/03

Old 04-22-2003, 03:36 PM   #4
Inactive

Eeyore II HB User
That is SO true my little one had dog food in his mouth yesterday scared me to death. I wasnt looking for 1 sec. and that is all it takes .

------------------
EDD-AUGUST 15
baby boy # 3

Old 04-22-2003, 03:40 PM   #5
Veteran

kmc235 HB User
Great idea about the first aid course. Just yesterday I was thinking that me and DH should take infant CPR. I took it years ago, but can't remember much.

------------------
EDD 10/1/03
Our first baby

Closed Thread