It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2003, 09:39 AM   #1
(female)

Aleii HB User
Post knowing gender of baby pre-birth

Was just wondering if you guys would prefer to know or not know the gender of a baby prior to birth and why. My sister who just got pregnant decided not to know the gender of the baby before it is born and that got me thinking of my own future. Just wanted to hear your opinions of the pros and cons of this, and if anyone regretted finding out or not finding out the gender of their baby prior to birth?

Old 04-24-2003, 09:46 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bellestar HB User
Hello! I found out I am having a girl and it has helped me prepare for the baby so much. There is always that chance that the Dr. was wrong and she comes out a boy but she is pretty sure it is a girl! I really wanted a girl and know has just gotten me more excited!

------------------
Bellestar
EDD 8/17/03
1st Child! ITS A GIRL!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2003, 09:50 AM   #3
Veteran

angelsen HB User
I also found out I am having a girl!! She was really obvious about it, so I am pretty sure and running with the fact of a girl. Sometimes there are doubts and in that case I wouldn't go with what they tell you. Ask them how obvious is it and if it's a good view, etc.

With my little girl she spread her legs and we actually saw "girl parts" (the labia), so in our case I believe our u/s was right.

But I have heard of so many cases where you think and plan on one and out pops the other.

I love being able to call her by her name - Noelle Marie and being able to pick up quit girl clothes when I come across them.

So I love it, but everyone is different.

------------------
God Bless!!!!
It's a girl!!!!
Noelle Marie due 8/1

Old 04-24-2003, 10:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

coppertop HB User
This is our third pregnancy and we have done it both ways. I loved both knowing, and I also love not knowing. Either way, you feel the same excitement whether its at your u/s or the birth.

Old 04-24-2003, 10:16 AM   #5

BonBon24 HB User
We are expecting our 1st and we are looking forward to the Dr say " it's a ......." I think it would be helpful in getting prepared but we are having just as much fun finding really cute gender neutral stuff. Either way is fine - I know I almost broke down and got the US tech to tell me the other day. Good Luck

Old 04-24-2003, 10:21 AM   #6

Epiphany HB User
We chose to find out. I wanted to know so I could prepare, and because I had a strong preferance for a boy. If it was going to be a girl I needed to know soon enough to adjust. :} We are excited to be expecting a girl (more than likely according to the ultrasound but not 100%)

Old 04-24-2003, 10:23 AM   #7

TJ_22 HB User
Talking

This is our first baby and we have decided to not know. We want to be suprised. We are doing everything neutral and I am going to buy lots of yellow and white clothes. I love yellow on babies. It is going to be hard to not ask but we are going to try to stay strong. We would be thrilled with either so we are going to try to wait. But then it would also be nice to know so I could buy pink or blue, but,we can do that after it is born.

------------------
Our 1st Baby EDD: 12/10/03

Old 04-24-2003, 10:40 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

babygrant HB User
We are expecting our first baby also and we had chosen not to know but today is our u/s day and we are thinking that if the u/s tech will tell us then we will find out. There's a 97% chance they wont' tell us tough. Where we live they have a "no tell" law. We'd have to drive to Vancouver, BC, Canada in order to find out! Oh well, we'll see today!!!

Angela
EDD 9/21

Old 04-24-2003, 11:46 AM   #9
Veteran

kmc235 HB User
If I had the opportunity I would want to know. For me, it would be a suprise whether I hear it now or at the birth. Also, I would love to start calling my baby by name and he/she instead of "it".

I do have lots of friends who don't want to know. I think it's the idea of having a more traditional birth experience that makes them want this. And I totally understand their point of view. It's nice that many of us have the choice to know or not to know.

Old 04-24-2003, 11:57 AM   #10

Karcia HB User
This is our first, and we absolutely do not want to know. We think that is part of the exciting part of the birth. There are definately more women who want to know, which surprises me, since I figued everyone felt like I did. To me, that would spoil part of the fun. It would be like getting a big Christmas present, but knowing months in advance what it is. I just love surprises! The ultrasound machine here is brand new, and so clear, we are going to have to be careful to not see it. My Dr is great, he does the ultrasounds himself, and he said he'd yell "look away!!" when he thinks the baby is turning. We'll see, this is so exciting! I just get goosebumps thinking about it.

Karcia.
Edd 10/01

Old 04-24-2003, 02:01 PM   #11
Veteran

kmc235 HB User
Hey Karcia, I was a kid who would search for all of my Christmas presents every year, so maybe that explains my wanting to know. I once removed the door off a room in our basement so I could get at the presents. Maybe wanting to know the gender vs not wanting to know harks back to those days. LOL

------------------
EDD 10/1/03
Our first baby

Old 04-24-2003, 02:49 PM   #12
(female)

Jules211 HB User
I found out about my son, and I am glad I did! For us, having a boy means lots and lots of sports outfits and blue clothing... if it were a girl yellows and greens are great- but when I have put some of the neutral outfits on my son now he looks a little too feminine, and hubby just won't have it! lol

Just my opinion. For the second baby, though, I might decide to wait just b/c we will already have boys clothing, and also b/c we won't have such a strong preference as we did with our first (both wanted a boy).

Old 04-24-2003, 03:25 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

mommarican HB User
Talking

I'm gonna find out as soon as I can! My SIL did it and they were able to get everything they wanted when they registered for the shower. I can't wait to post the news when I finally get pg!!!!

Old 04-24-2003, 06:36 PM   #14
Senior Veteran

babygrant HB User
I just had my ultrasound about....6 hours ago and didn't find out. Now the temptation is gone because I won't have any more ultrasounds until baby arrives!

Angela
EDD 9/21

Old 04-24-2003, 08:40 PM   #15

lmeckman HB User
I did not find out with my son Evan, and do not want to find out with this baby. To me its one of the only nice surprises that life gives you. On the otherhand, I am always the first to ask when someone is going to find out.

------------------
edd of baby #2 9/21/03 (my son Evan's Birthday!)

Closed Thread