It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2003, 09:04 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kippy6 HB User
Post Help! I'm gaining too much weight while PG.

Hi guys - Happy Easter! Okay, I'm 5 1/2 months PG. Due August 16th. I'm normally a tall, thin person who weighs about 122 pounds.

However, I've gained about 27 pounds already this PG, and I'm barely half-way through my PG. I just reached the 150 mark today. I have gained about 40 pounds with my other 3 PGs, but I'm afraid I might go over that this time . Also, since I'm 36 yrs. old now, I'm afraid I'll have a harder time losing my weight than I did during my last PG five years ago. I really don't want to have to deal with losing a bunch of weight this time, no matter how quick or long it takes. I just want to see if there is something I can eat that will fill me up that isn't going to make me gain weight so quickly. If I eat just fruit for breakfast at 8am, I'm hungry again by 10 or 10:30. It seems that I have to have meat for every meal, otherwise I get hungry again.

Are there any nutritious snacks that are filling? Apples, Bananas, and grapes just make the hunger subside for awhile, and then it comes back again in an hour or so. I know I need to start exercising, but it's hard w/3 kids already to find the time.
Please help...this weight thing is really bothering me this PG. I'd appreciate your ideas http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/idea.gif .

[This message has been edited by kippy6 (edited 04-20-2003).]

Old 04-19-2003, 10:34 PM   #2
(female)

Wheresrunt HB User
I gained alot of weight with my second child. It turned out i had gestational dibetes. So after he was born i would drink a full glass of water before i ate so i wouldn't be as hungry.I gained 80 pounds with him. I'm 5ft 4 in so you can imagine how i looked. I lost theweight pretty quick . I would eat steamed vegies and they filled me up pretty quick too.With my third child i was totally different. My pregnancy was complete opposite.So i would try five small nutricious meals a day.Oatmeal for breakfast , a piece of toast with a piece of fruit for a snack, cottage cheese with pears or yogurt with some granola mixed in. Steamed vegies. My doctor also told me to be careful of drinking too much fruit juice. He said it is naturally sweetened and will cause you to gain weight.Make sure you eat enough for the baby to get what he/she needs. Peanut butter is a good source of protein. A little bit though. I don't know if your a vegetarian or not.I also carried protein bars in my van with my third pregnancy. Try to stay away from fried foods or too many carbohydrates.The more steamed or broiled food you eat the better. Don't stress though. Your doctor will tell you if they have a concern. I gained 60 the first time 80 the second time and 40 the third time. I'm now 120 and i think i look great. So if you are tall and 122 non-pregnant than you must look absolutely fabulous now at 150 and five 1/2 months along. With three kids even at 36....you will lose it trying to keep up with them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2003, 06:43 AM   #3
Inactive

siren24 HB User
Kippy, I am normally 5'8 125, and I too hit the 150 mark at about 22 weeks. I was really worried, but the good news is, my wieght gain slowed down, and I have only gained 5 since then. This is my first pregnancy, so I'm a little worried still, but everyone says you can't tell that I've gained that much. I still don't look pregnant from behind. I just have this huge, hard belly. Good luck!

Old 04-20-2003, 02:03 PM   #4
(female)

UserName HB User
I'm also packing on the pounds pretty badly.. but I'd say it's mostly my own fault i guess.. I am only 3 months and have already gained 20 pounds.. with no signs of it letting up.. so dont feel bad..
but
I was on a pretty strict diet for 2 years before I got pregnant.. and was also on diet pills.. when i found out i was pregnant i was upset knowing id gain the weight but almost relieved to let myself off the diet and eat like a normal person for a change.. so i started eating a bit more and stopped the pills of course.. and i also have a big problem with fatigue.. so i went from 30 or 40 minutes of running about 4 or 5 times a week.. to not being able to do anything!! exhausted!! so like i said..
I've gone from about 129 to 150 in 13 weeks.. i guess my metabolism just crashed and burned.. hopefully it will even out and i will stop gaining so quickly..

Old 04-20-2003, 04:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kippy6 HB User
Thanks guys. I appreciate all the support! People still ask me if I'm having twins. I've decided it's not just that it's my 4th PG, it's also that I've gained so much weight so quickly. Do you think trying to eat 5 small meals a day would help instead of 3 main meals w/snacks?

If you guys eat something like oatmeal for breakfast, say at 8 am, how long does this stick with you? How much time goes by until you need a snack? I've never had a problem being this "hungry" before with my other pregnancies. I would just eat my 3 meals a day, and that's it. I'm just hungrier this time around. I don't know if it's the baby or if my body is getting used to eating too much food.

I've never tried a protein bar before. Would this stick with me longer than an apple? Is it high in sugar and fat though? What kinds of protein bars taste the best? I don't drink fruit juice. I drink water with every meal, and maybe a coke a day. What are some good high protein (filling) choices for breakfast that won't pack on the pounds? I usually eat sausage and eggs if I want it to stick with me.

I hope it slows down soon. And you know, I think it's been my own fault, but I do get hungrier more often this time...gosh, I don't know what to do. Now, if I get hungry at 11:00 at night, I try to just go to sleep instead of eat. I feel like something is wrong with me. I've never been hungry so often before. I don't think this is normal.

My doctor said during last month's visit that I am gaining a lot of weight, but she doesn't know how much I've gained already this April.

[This message has been edited by kippy6 (edited 04-20-2003).]

Old 04-20-2003, 06:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

crystalll HB User
I don't have a whole lot of advice because I've been gaining quite a bit too.
Just be sure that you're drinking lots of water and keeping yourself hydrated. Sometimes we tend to confuse hunger with dehydration. Just a thought.

Crystal
EDD: Sept. 6/03

Old 04-20-2003, 07:58 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kippy6 HB User
You know, drinking water when hunger strikes at an unusual time sounds like a good idea. A couple of you mentioned that. It's worth a try. I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks! I have been pretty thirsty anyway this PG.

Old 04-21-2003, 05:43 AM   #8

Epiphany HB User
Lots of water is great advice, especially if you can drink a glass before you eat anything. I am also doing the 5 small meals a day and trying to make them as healthy as possible. Juice and the occasional soda are my downfalls. *sigh* I also find that a little bit of excercise (if possible) helps to curb my appetite as well. Walking, stretching and water have seemed to help me slow weight gain.

Good luck!

Old 04-21-2003, 06:14 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

kippy6 HB User
Hi guys! Okay, I ate a bowl of Banana Nut Crunch Cereal at 8am this morning. It's 9:15, and I'm already hungry. Okay, I'm going to try this water thing... I can't eat all day long!!!

Old 04-21-2003, 06:24 AM   #10
Veteran

LadyLight HB User
Hi. Have you tried eggs and toast for breakfast?

Like you I crave a lot of protein, but I can't do all the meats yet, except ham, so I have eggs for breakfast. That keeps me full for couple hours. Fruit mid morning, like you I'm always hungry. Drink lots of water during day too. Have a good lunch (I have ham and fruit or salad), in afternoon I have more fruit and/or popcorn and then a good dinner.

I'm 39 and this is our first so I'm concerned about weight too, but I've been lucky so far and only gained a few pounds. I'd be interested in any ideas you get from the wonderful ladies here. Thanks!

Old 04-21-2003, 07:17 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

kippy6 HB User
Yes, but I usually do the eggs and sausage thing when I do eggs. I'll try eggs and toast tomorrow.

I drank a tall glass of water at 9:15, and now, an hour later (10:15am ), I'm absolutely starving! I'll take an apple with me. Got to go run errands.

Old 04-21-2003, 08:12 AM   #12
Veteran

LadyLight HB User
Eggs and sausage are probably even better than eggs and toast, total protein!

Old 04-21-2003, 08:23 AM   #13
Senior Veteran

coppertop HB User
Kippy,
I do the water thing also. The trick is that you have to drink a TON. I have a 24 ounce cup that I fill up three or four times a day. If I drink one full cup before I eat, I will eat much less. Hope you find something that works

Old 04-21-2003, 12:35 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

kippy6 HB User
You know, I was just thinking...I sure wish someone would have told me that drinking water helps curb your appetite 4 pregnancies ago!!! Maybe I would have not gained as much then!!

Coppertop, how much have you gained?

Old 04-21-2003, 01:29 PM   #15
Senior Veteran

coppertop HB User
Kippy,
I have gained somwhere in the ballpark of 20 pounds already! But this is how my other pregancys were also, I have no trouble gaining, untill about 28 weeks, than it really slows down. I HOPE that happens again this time. I have just recently started drinking my water again (I gained 7 pounds between my last appointments) and its already working for me.

Closed Thread