It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2003, 11:19 AM   #1

my4sons HB User
Question Anybody hear of anyone Pregnant who has gotten SARS??

Of all the reporting on the TV and news about SARS, I never yet heard how this can affect a Pregnant woman or fetus inside the womb? I imagine they just dont know yet. Please post if you have heard anything. It seems this mystery illness doesn't care how young & healthy you are, and this is a VERY scary thing. I wonder if the babies born will have the same immunity as the Mother - in case they would come down with it. So many hospital workers are getting this, I am SOO worried when I go to have my baby in a few months! I live in PA, I wonder how many cases are here yet.

Old 04-23-2003, 11:26 AM   #2
Inactive

siren24 HB User
I have wondered about this myself. Luckily, I live in an area where people don't travel a whole lot. I really don't know, but thanks for posting this. I would be very interested in any insight myself. A few weeks ago, when I was in the lab getting bloodwork done, this little kid sat right next to me with the nastiest wheeze and hack you'd ever heard in your life. All I could think about was SARS and my baby. I found out though, the kid was from a town in the sticks that nobody ever comes into or out of, so the chances seemed remote. I caught a cold the very next day and was worried. I never got that sick, though, and I'm fine now. But I think this SARS thing does have alot of us on edge!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2003, 01:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

coppertop HB User
Actually one pregant women has died of SARS, however they took the baby by c-section. Although the baby was a bit early, I believe it survived.

Old 04-23-2003, 04:52 PM   #4

catnedward HB User
I wondered about this as well as I will be flying soon. Although I think both the US and the UK are on high alert for SARS so we (bump and I) should be ok! As far as I know flu and colds don't harm the baby and I think we are in more danger of contracting those than SARS, well here's to hoping anyway!

Old 04-23-2003, 04:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

crystalll HB User
I think the media has caused mass hysteria regarding SARS.
Of all the SARS deaths in the Toronto area, I believe most were older people. The youngest being a 44 year old man who already suffered from other illnesses.
I would imagine that the biggest concern with SARS in a pregnant woman would be the fever temperature. Any illness causing a fever could be detrimental to a growing fetus.
The most important thing to remember is to keep your hands clean at all times.

Crystal

Old 04-24-2003, 12:13 PM   #6

my4sons HB User
I am one who doesn't mind if the Media makes a lot of Noise about this. I am hoping that EVERY CASE in what ever area any of us live in--gets reported and promptly. They didn't do this in China and that is WHY this has spread to how many countries now, is it 30 some or 40 some? Toronto is only about 5 hours from where I live, I think this is all a matter of time, and the fact that numerous Hospital personelle are getting this SHOULD be of great concern. These masks are not working as Virus's are too small to be contained within these masks (Bacteria is bigger). Before they said the virus can live maybe 6 hours on an object, now they are saying 24 hours. Some people will end up getting this JUST because they visited a Hospital or needed care. This IS a Big deal. I am all for the Quarantining. I heard in Canada - if you break your Quarentine, they can put you in jail for a year, not that this is going to help, their is alot of irrespopnsible people out there who do not care. And just yesterday they were saying 1 out of every 20 die, I heard today it is more like 10%. If I wasnt pregnant right now, I would be less concerned really. I just got done reading a book about the 1918 FLU epidemic, it was less than 10% and hundreds of Millions died around the globe. You would not believe HOW MANY people died that year in the US alone. It was almost unheard of to have any families who didn't lose a loved one. I just hope they can find a vaccine soon or I am hoping- as with the common cold & the Flu, it will fade as Summer appraches in the States. WHERE did this pregnant woman die of SARS- in China? If anyone knows a link to the story, please post it! Thanks!

Old 04-24-2003, 12:35 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

coppertop HB User
my4sons,
I totally agree with you, SARS needs to be contained, and the media plays a part in that.

Its kind of funny, I am in the middle of a book about the 1918 flu right now! I'm reading one on Smallpox next.

Oh yeah, the pregnant women was in China. They would not release any details about the baby. (gender or how many weeks early he/she was) If you search the news sites for archives of SARS articles you might find it. I don't think I can post a link.

[This message has been edited by coppertop (edited 04-24-2003).]

Old 04-24-2003, 12:55 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

coppertop HB User
I found it (its from a week or so ago):

HONG KONG -- Doctors saved the baby of a pregnant woman dying of the respiratory ailment known as SARS, delivering the child by Caesarean section, hospital officials said. The mother was one of nine people whose deaths were reported Tuesday in Hong Kong.

The baby was born April 1, according to Hong Kong's Princess Margaret Hospital.

The Chinese-language Ming Pao daily said that the baby was not full-term but that doctors decided the 34-year-old mother was so sick that they should go ahead with the birth.

Old 04-24-2003, 12:57 PM   #9

Karcia HB User
Honestly, I really wouldn't worry about it where you guys are. I live 4 hours from Toronto, and I am not worried. Just don't go to the cities that seem to have it, and you'll be just fine. The 13 people who died here all were either quite old, or they had weakened immune systems for some reason: Chemo treatments etc can weaken your system. A lot more people die from the flu than from SARS. I would be more concerned if I lived in Toronto and took the subway, or worked in a hospital, but otherwise, I think they just want to make sure it doesn't spread any more than it has.

Old 04-24-2003, 01:02 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

coppertop HB User
Karcia,
Im not at all worried about getting it myself (as of now). My concern is that it be contained, so it doesn't become a global pandemic.

Old 04-24-2003, 01:24 PM   #11
Inactive

lovelyme HB User
Crystal - reports show that shockingly it's younger people that are more affected by SARS. They have a larger mortality rate and a larger contact rate. I suppose those go hand in hand.

I, too, am glad they are letting the public know of the scare. VRE is another direct contact disease not many know about. It is lethal as well.

------------------
Marie
It's A Boy!!
Expected August 2, 2003

Old 04-24-2003, 01:53 PM   #12
Veteran

kmc235 HB User
Compared with malaria, HIV/AIDS and even ordinary pneumonia, SARS is not particularly infectious, nor fatal. With the flagrant use of antibiotics these days we can expect lots of diseases like this to pop up in years to come.

[This message has been edited by kmc235 (edited 04-24-2003).]

Old 04-24-2003, 02:53 PM   #13
Inactive

siren24 HB User
KMC, what makes SARS so dangerous and unknown is that is it a virus which can't be treated, and therefore is unaffected by antibiotics. Not that I don't agree with you 100% when you say that antibiotic abuse and the anti-germ hysteria in our culture will be a huge problem in the future. It could breed super-bugs and our natural immunity to such bacteria will be decreased because of antibiotics. The thing so scary about SARS, is like AIDS and other viruses, there is no known cure or treatment. A victims only hope is their immune system to get rid of it.

Old 04-24-2003, 03:22 PM   #14
Veteran

kmc235 HB User
I totally agree that SARS is dangerous because it is unknown and there is no cure (and especially because it is an airbourne virus, unlike HIV). I just think the perspective is off a bit because of media attention. It's tragic that every year several million people die of malaria, a disease which can be prevented and treated, and nobody pays any attention to it. I just wish the media would give other tragedies the same attention. But malaria hardly affects the Western world, so people don't care to know about it.

Oh my, I'm getting off topic now. The question was about pregnancy and SARS. Sorry to go off on a tangent. I just love a good discussion.

Old 04-24-2003, 04:17 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

crystalll HB User
As I mentioned earlier, we as pregnant women should be cautious of any illness that can cause a prolonged fever.
We live 100 kms from Toronto, and my husband is a Toronto firefighter. We have no more concerns about SARS than we do about contracting influenza or pneumonia. One of the problems with SARS is that there is no 100% accurate diagnosis. So what is being done is that anyone who MAY have SARS symptoms is being quarantined for at least 10 days. And yes, people can be charged for disobeying the quarantine orders. I don't disagree with any of this. What bothers me the most is that the media is reporting the number of "suspected" cases of SARS, then failing to report the number of cases that have been proven NOT to be SARS after the 10 day quarantine.
Also, there is a much higher mortality rate in China because of the population density. People literally live on top of each other there. In North America the mortality rate is lower. Anyway, I'm not saying that SARS isn't a serious matter, we just need to keep it in perspective.
Again, the best way to prevent this or any illness is to keep your hands clean at all times.

Crystal

Closed Thread