It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2003, 07:22 AM   #1

colie626 HB User
Question Preemies

Anyone who knows this answer please share!

As you probably know I just had triplets...will they always be smaller than the average child? If not when will they getback to the average? I know there is probably no answer for this question but please share anything you know! Thanks!

Old 04-25-2003, 08:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User
Hi there Collie! I am sorry it has taken me so long to get to you on this question!
OK...Riley was born 8 weeks early & weighed 3.3 pounds & was 17 inches long. She is now 4 months old & weighs 10.8 pounds & is 23 inches long. Her due date was the early part of February & I had a good freind who delived her baby full term on the 2nd of february. Her baby weighed 7.10 pounds & was 19 1/2 inches long. Her baby now weighs the exact same as Riley & she is just about an inch or so longer than Riley. She seems to have caught up quite nicely. When the 2 girls are laying side by side Riley looks quite a bit smaller than the other baby, but she is just a very petite little girl is all. Her head looked a little funny to me (kinda large for her little body) for a long time, but now I have noticed that it looks pretty proportioned now.
As far as developementaly, she was right on time doing all of the physical things the new babies do (going from her birth age) but mentally she was right on time (from her "corrected" age). So that means that I had to wait a very long 16 weeks before I saw a true smile from my baby, when most parents get that 1 st smile at around 8 weeks or so. But physically, she is doing great. She is rolling from tummy to back, holds her head up just fine, & is all the time doing the baby push ups.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask & I will try to help as much as possible.
Do they have all 3 of your little ones in the same pod or do they have them scattered throughout the NICU? There were several sets of triplets when we were in the NICU & for some reason they never had them all together. It made it really hard on the parents to have to choose which one to go see first & yadda yadda yadda.
How are you hanging in there? I know how tough it is, but it is so worth it in the end. You will soon forget about all the hours you once spent in that place!
I have gone back to the NICU with Riley 3 different times to donate the preemie clothes she has out grown & she screems everytime we walk through the doors. They say the babies remember the smell of that place.

OHHHH! You need to start asking about preemie inserts for the carseats. You can buy them online, but you can get them for free at the hospital. They will loan it to you for as long as you need it. We got a brand new one and when I took it out to wash it one night it said on the back to please return to the hospital. So I did take it back & they did mention that most NCICU's had them for the parents to use. BUT....if they do not have them, you will have to have one in each carseat. The babies will be way too small when they go home to fit properly in them & the nurse that takes you all out to the car will more than likely not let you leave without an insert. I did not even know they had such a thing until the morning we left & they brought us on & showed us how to install it. Just something ELSE for you to think about! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif

I hope this helped ease your mind a bit!

Take care of those little ones & you & Daddy don't forget about eachother in the process! That is very easy to do!
Take care!
http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread