It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2003, 09:31 PM   #1

kristi9101 HB User
Question LABOR EXPERIENCES???

I WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE WILL SHARE THEIR PERSONAL EXPERIENCE OF LABOR. I AM DUE IN LESS THAN 2 MONTHS AND AM WONDERING WHO WENT THROUGH LABOR WITHOUT ANY DRUGS AT ALL AND IF THE PAIN WAS REALLY REALLY BAD AND WHAT DOES IT FEEL LIKE. I DON'T LIKE THE IDEA IF THE WHOLE SPINE THING WITH THE EPIDURAL AND AM DEATHLY AFRAID OF GETTING ONE. PLEASE SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCES IF YOU HAD AN EPIDURAL ALSO WHETHER YOU HAD A GOOD EXPERIENCE OR BAD.

Old 04-25-2003, 12:32 AM   #2
Inactive

ds4832 HB User
congrats on getting ready to be a mom.. ..i'm not going in to my experience as its not a pleasant one (due to my dr having his head up his butt)..at any rate, as far as labor pains go, its pretty intense (i'm one who can tolerate pain).i opted for an epidural, however, the dr let it wear off and it was too late to readminister the meds..i pushed for 3 hours (way too long!)..baby was finally delivered after 27 hrs of labor(9lb 8.5oz)..due to complications i had to spend 4 days in the hospital..i can guarantee that if the pain is intolerable you will forget all about your fears of the epidural and will be more than happy to have it administered..after i was stablized (after the delivery) the epidural was given to me to get me through the night and part of the next day w/o too much pain..i was very grateful for the epidural..if at all possible i would suggest you take a lamaze class--this will prepare you for alot that will or can happen during labor and delivery..if i hadnt taken the lamaze i would not have been as relaxed as i was when the time came....have faith in your dr and hopefully you will have a pleasant experience...rest as much as possible now, for when the baby arrives those resting days are over!..haha....stay well

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2003, 04:59 AM   #3

moni1 HB User
Talking

I was a little hesitant about an epidural only because of "horror stories" that some people told me about. However, it came as a very big relief after hours and hours of laboring (ended up with a c-section - long story and not pretty). Anyway, after it was administered I could have passed a bowling ball with great ease. It never wore off. I was told it was a continual drip. I'm glad I had it in place because at the end when things were going haywire, I would not have wanted the additional stress of trying to get it in place for my c-section.
Babe #2 c-section 11/06

Old 04-25-2003, 06:17 AM   #4

melstone HB User
I ended up with a c-section at the last minute because she was breech, but I did have a spinal for the C-section. It really did not hurt that bad. It was more uncomfortable than anything. Good Luck!!

------------------
Melissa

Old 04-25-2003, 04:47 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

harvest46 HB User
I just had a baby 3 weeks ago. and my experience was pretty good. at least, for all the things that can go wrong, i am very fortunate. it was a 13 hour labor and only 10 minutes or even less of pushing. I did have an epidural and Nubain...... Nubain made me sort of loose my consious and very dizzyyy....but the epidural was helpful since only got a very low dosage of the epidural, i can still feel the contractions coming and it does still hurt but definitely a lot better than those strong painful contractions and i was able to push very well. The unexpected was the pain after delivry..... i thought the pain would be over right after the baby arrives, but i guess you still have contractions for 3-4 days after giving birth, which was very annoying. I had an episiotomy, which is fine but it was very very swollen down there, i can't even sit on my butt because it hurts so much !!!

Old 04-26-2003, 06:49 AM   #6
Veteran

Greenberry HB User
I didn't have an epidural either time, for the same reason--I am terrified of needles and didn't want anything going into my spine. I have an extremely low tolerance for pain. The first time I was induced, and it was EXTREMELY PAINFUL, but I did have some Stadol. The second time, I went into labor on my own, and the really bad pain only lasted about 3 hours, as opposed to 8 hours when I was induced. I didn't have ANYTHING the second time around. By the time I decided I wanted something, it was too late for Stadol, and getting an epidural would have taken longer than just finishing up on my own, although I could have had one if I really wanted one. If you go into labor on your own, it is much easier than being induced. My advice is to really pay attention in your childbirth class and learn all the breathing and concentration techniques that you can. And don't let people discourage you--everyone and their brother told me "You'll never be able to do it..." and I did. You just have to concentrate really hard and not give up. The breathing and concentration exercises were the only things that helped me through it.

Closed Thread