It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2003, 11:30 AM   #1
Inactive

siren24 HB User
Question Fntsyangel (or anyone else with advice!)

Hi... I remembered reading a post about your labor and delivery because Kai was breech. You had a really rough delivery because of a failed turn. This worries me a little. I know I don't need to worry about it just yet, but at 29 weeks, I'd like to be prepared in case Cal doesn't flip. (With my low lying placenta, it raises the chance that he may not.) I just wanted to get some advice from those who may have been through this at 36 weeks or so. My doctor will probably give me the option of attempting a turn and inducing or scheduling a cesarean if he stays breech. What would you recommend? Would you rather have delt with the discomforts of a c-section or of the botched turn and delivery? I know you said Kai had alot of bruising and was shoulder first. I have read that external versions are only effective 50% of the time, anyway. I'm trying to arm myself with info now so I can make the decision if it arises. Thanks!!!

Old 04-27-2003, 06:09 PM   #2

fntsyangel HB User
Oh, hon, I doubt you have much to worry about. Kai WAS breech at 29 weeks, but turned head down on his own, which is normal. What happened after was that he was facing my belly instead of my side or back. When a baby presents like this they try to roatate the baby to face the mother's spine as this is how a baby should be born, however in my case they only managed to get him to face my side and he was born that way.

I have heard that external versions are painful and can be dangerous to the baby (I also researched it when Kai was still breech). I found alot of info by searching the web for "breech baby" and found a great deal of interesting info, including the fact that is IS possible for a frank breech (butt first) baby to be delivered vaginally if the doctor is experienced. Most of the time, if a baby is still breech between 36 and 38 weeks, a c-section is arranged to prevent a difficult delivery. Also, if there is another factor, such as a low placenta or danger of abruption a c-section is also done for safety.

I hope I was of some help!

------------------
Angel, et al

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2003, 08:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kippy6 HB User
Hi. My 1st child was breech. I also tried the external version (to have the baby turned.) On first pregnancies, the success rate is lower. I'd check with your doctor about the statistics of versions on 1st PGs, or look it up.

Also, each doctor has his/her own success rate. My own OB told me that. When he attempted my version, he told me that he was going to have another doctor from the practice come in to assist since he had a higher success rate than he did.

Find out the success rate of the OB performing the procedure. If he has a low success rate personally, I'd say forget it. Find a doctor who has a higher success rate. There's no reason to subject yourself to any pain, worry, discomfort, and extra $ on medical bills unless the statistics are a little more in your favor.

[This message has been edited by kippy6 (edited 04-27-2003).]

Closed Thread