It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2003, 09:09 AM   #1

Evanescence HB User
Question What's harmful?

Over the last week I've been thinking of all these little things, and I hope someone has the answers!

1. Is fake self-tanner chemical (not the kind you need sunlight or UV light for) safe to use, or am I doomed to be a snowman for nine months?

2. Chocolate...how bad is it, really?

3. Tylenol? (not asprin)

4. Cold cuts...turkey, bologna, etc.

5. Anything else I forgot

I'm so new to this, if u guys know what to steer clear of, and what is OK, let me know please!! Thanks!!

------------------
"You have a boyfriend, and I have...a baby and a Ross!"--Rachel
EDD 12/22/03

Old 04-28-2003, 09:16 AM   #2

Evanescence HB User
Also, does anyone know what kind of damage it can do to the baby to sit in front of a computer monitor all day long?

------------------
EDD 12/22/03

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2003, 10:14 AM   #3
Veteran

HeyThere HB User
Cold cuts are bad it is pickled meat basically- nitrates, excessive salts and it eats the skin on your hands if you deal with it on a daily basis-I know believe me- also Hot dogs are really bad as well both of these kinds of products the way they are handled can risk your pregnancy if you eat them from listeria if I remember correctly. Do the natural roasted stuff from scratch well worth the trouble-- read my reply on the stress/anxiety forum.

There have been associations to miscarriage and being next to electrical equipment for more than three hours consistently - copy machines early 90's and computer towers back in the mid 90's- I have not heard anything about the monitor itself.

Just move your tower as far away as possible from your work station -like way away. Just think electro magnetic field- it is like x-ray

Ps. if you go to the dentist, let them know you are pregnant!

I don't know why people are saying sudafed is safe-it is used to make x and other types of mind altering drugs/stimulants.

The first three months are really important because that is when the neural tube turns into the formative brain.

[This message has been edited by HeyThere (edited 04-28-2003).]

Old 04-28-2003, 10:17 AM   #4

moni1 HB User
Let's see if I can remember from my last pregnancy. I know that hair removal products like Nair are OK, and so is Tylenol but not ibuprofen products. Sudafed is OK. I'm currently having laser hair removal treatments, which I'm told is OK. I think it's wise to stay clear of lunch meats (nitrates) and cheeses like feta and blue cheese. There are some fish to avoid, but since I really only eat cod-like fish, which is OK, I'm not sure which ones they are. Gosh, my mind is drawing a blank. It wasn't THAT long ago. Must be this pregnancy that's making me forget stuff!
Babe #2 c-section 11/06

Old 04-28-2003, 10:33 AM   #5
Veteran

Momofa4yrold HB User
I sit in front of a computer ALL DAY (It's my job) and have a very healthy pregnancy. I also eat chocolate everyday. I crave it. I think they say not to eat it because of the caffeen, but they also say you can have like one cup of regular coffee a day while pregnant and it shouldn't be a problem. I don't drink coffee so I don't think a candy bar a day will hurt. Unless you are really trying to watch your weight and not gain very much.

My doc said processed meat really isn't good for you. But don't ban Subway. That is taking it a little extreme. Just bye packaged meat that is sealed. Don't buy from a deli.

Any medicine Tylenol makes is OK. You can even take Tylenol Sinus for the stuff nose associated with pregnancy. Sudifed is OK.

I don't know about the tanning products. I just delt with the fact that I am going to be a snowman this year. But, I know that Bengay is OK.

------------------
Chloe is due 07/27/03

Old 04-28-2003, 12:47 PM   #6

Evanescence HB User
Smile

bump...

sorry, my OCD tends to make me overly-wonder aboot these things..hehe

------------------
EDD 12/22/03

Old 04-29-2003, 07:18 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

crystalll HB User
It sounds like everybody else has done a thorough job of answering your questions.
I work at a computer all day and have no concerns about it. I know back in the early 90's pregnant women were wearing lead aprons to protect themselves, but that was before they knew anything about computers. I do have a tendency to step away from the microwave when using it. You never know what kind of radiation could be escaping, especially in the older ones.
You should limit your chocolate intake just because of the caffeine. Caffeine can cross through the placenta, so moderation is the key there.
And yes, Tylenol (acetaminophen) is safe during pregnancy. But stay away from aspirin and ibuprofen. Whenever I have concerns about OCD's I just ask the pharmicist. Most of them will know right off what is safe and what isn't. If not, they have a book to consult. It's just important that you tell them what stage of pregnancy you are in because medications can affect you differently depending on the stage.

That's a good question about self-tanners. I usually use them in the spring, and was planning on doing so this year as well. I'll definitely look into it.

Crystal
EDD: Sept 6th

Old 04-29-2003, 09:42 AM   #8

OshKoshBigosh HB User
lol OCD = obsessive compulsive disorder, not over the counter drugs. Good catch, I didn't even realize those acronyms were the same. But the OCD here is the disorder... =)

------------------
EDD- 12/16/03
"You have a boyfriend, and I have...a baby and a Ross!" - Rachel

Closed Thread