It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2003, 03:28 PM   #1

dinhtran HB User
Unhappy CHRISLOVE........?

Hi Chris,

I have a strange ? for Val. Being that I have gestational diabetes I have to eat every 2.5-3 hours all the time or I get weak and shakey. Today I let myself go w/o for almost 5 hours and then boy I got the usual shakiness and sweatiness, nervousness feeling. I felt very bad and them I noticed something I have never felt before: my tongue felt numb?!?! It went away after I gorged down a burger and fries but it took about 30 minutes to stop this strange sensation. Do you know what I am talking about? Is this related to diabetes? It was a bit scary.

I went to see my family dx and he did the hemoglobin A1c test on me and said that it was very good. It was like 5.7 and normally they won't usually treat people with diabetes unless its above 7.5. What was Val's? I am just curious. Pregnancy just seems to make the symptoms worse. I am always having to eat or I get weak. One thing I did definitely notice was that if I chew gum for a long time I get the hunger pangs worse and it starts to make me feel jittery quicker. This is also what I did today w/o realizing it.

Thanks for listening,

Serena

Old 04-29-2003, 03:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

coppertop HB User
Dihntran,
I was so intrigued by your question that I had to look it up

I found this:

Most people think of hypoglycemia as having the classic symptoms of shakiness, sweating and hunger. When keeping blood sugars in the normal range, these symptoms often disappear or only occur occasionally. They are replaced by numb lips, numb tongue, confusion (repeating the same task or inability to perform familiar tasks such as dialing a phone), blurry vision or double vision. Many times these symptoms go unnoticed until it's too late and someone else needs to treat the reaction. In retrospect, most people can remember something about how they felt before it became impossible to self-treat. It is important to try to remember what it was, so that treatment will be instituted immediately the next time it occurs. It will also inspire you to have something readily available at all times to immediately treat these reactions. (See: Glucagon: Insulin "Antidote" Not in All Pumpers' Homes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2003, 05:25 PM   #3

dinhtran HB User
Thanks Coppertop for your input. The tingly tongue did go away after about 35 minutes after eating. Like I said, when I chew gum that intensely for 5 hours it does something to my sugar levels. I think there is a connection here to besides the fact that I did not eat for 5 hours.

Thanks and any other input would be appreciated,

Serena

Old 04-30-2003, 06:11 AM   #4
Veteran

chrislove HB User
Hey Sweetie, yes Val has gone through this too. It is all symptoms of low blood sugar. Very important to keep track of your levels and if you have to go out, always have some kind of snack or treat in your purse. Being pg and diabetic makes everything (energy, mood, weight, etc) go up and down faster than normal. Val tries to eat something before bed too that is high in protein so that it takes her body longer to digest. Meat, cheese, peanut butter. Even if it's only a small amount, then she won't wake up starving. So far at 27 weeks 1 day, Val has put on 20 lbs. But has not been checking her levels like she should, we're working on that. her ha1c has been <5.5 for a while now, but started off at around 7.5 when she first found out about it back in 1999. It sounds like you are doing great with your levels, pat yourself on the back ! Just don'nt go into diabetic coma and eat regularly. I know it sucks when you're trying not to gain too much weight, but even just a slice of cheese or one-tablespoon of peanut butter will make a difference between meals. Thanks for the post and let me know how you are, k ? Chris

Old 04-30-2003, 09:38 AM   #5
Inactive

siren24 HB User
I had to take the 3 hr. gtt, and by the 3rd hour, my blood sugar was in the low 60's, and probably dropped some more. When I got home, I literally passed out on the couch, and woke up confused, shaky, and my speech was slurring really bad. LOL. DH didn't know what to do, so he was practically force feeding me peanut butter until I could get up. Anyway, I had the numb tongue too, so I'm sure that everyone else is right, that it's a symptom of low blood sugar.

Old 04-30-2003, 10:35 AM   #6

dinhtran HB User
Smile

Thanks Chris, Val , Siren, and Coppertop for all your helpful replies. I won't be doing that again!

So ready to have this baby,

Serena

Closed Thread