It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2003, 08:37 PM   #1

Mocha1 HB User
Exclamation How accurate are blood tests?

I would really appreciate some insight here. O.k let me tell my story. On March 22nd I had sex for the first time, we used a condom but unfortunately it broke!! The next morning I took the "morning after" pill (about 8 hours after we had sex) My period was due on the 28th but it didn't show up, so I got scared and went to see a doctor. On the 30th I took a urine test which was negative, then I took a blood test, which too came back negative. But my period still hadn't showed up. On April 7th it finally came or at least I think it was my period (after reading all this stuff on implantation bleeding, I'm not so sure anymore). Anyway a week after my period ended I started having cramps, I've never had cramps like this before!!! That was when I started to really freak out. So I took yet another blood test to see if I was in fact pregnant or not, once again it was negative. But the weird thing is that I feel bloated and my breasts seem to be softer. The cramping is still on and off.

So I guess my question is, are these blood tests accurate? With 3 negative test results, should I just relax and stop worrying? I mean if I am pregnant I would be like 5 or 6 weeks along, wouldn't the last blood test pick up on this or is it still to early to tell?

Please help me out here!!

[This message has been edited by Mocha1 (edited 04-30-2003).]

Old 04-30-2003, 02:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

nela HB User
Hi!
Sorry to hear this distress you're going through. The blood tests are considered conclusive, meaning that if your period is overdue and you get a negative blood test, you are not pregnant. Two negative blood tests is completely conclusive! OTC urine tests are known to sometimes be inaccurate, but blood tests done when a period is overdue...no.

Those symptoms you describe could very well be ovulation cramps and sound right for the time frame. Try to relax and be asured that you are not pregnant.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2003, 05:29 AM   #3
Inactive

dingo_102 HB User
I don't think you have to worry. Since you have had 3 neg test, two of which were blood test I would say that you can rest assured you are not pregnant. Being 5 or 6 weeks along would should show up on a urine test and would show up on a blood test. Try not too worry too much. If you have any more questions just ask

april
9/19 It's a Boy

Old 04-30-2003, 01:46 PM   #4

Mocha1 HB User
Thank you both for helping me out with this......

Now the thing is I'm not sure if what came two weeks ago was my period or not. Since being on this board I've been reading all this stuff on implantation bleeding and now I'm worried that maybe that's what came instead of my actual period. So if it was implantation bleeding, the blood test would have came back positive, right?

[This message has been edited by Mocha1 (edited 04-30-2003).]

Closed Thread