It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2003, 12:32 PM   #1
Inactive

dingo_102 HB User
Post Teeth??

I know that it is safe to see a dentist while Pg. but I was wondering if was okay to get a cavity filled? Since I have been Pg I have noticed 2 cavaties starting to form. I get calcium and take care of my teeth but they keep getting worse. I know that pregnancy takes it's toll on your teeth but generally how bad does it get?

Thanks Guys,
Take Care
April
9/19 It's a Boy

Old 04-29-2003, 12:36 PM   #2
Veteran

angelsen HB User
Unhappy

Hey there,

I don't have any answers, but I do know exactly what you are going through. Since I have been pg I have a couple of teeth that are in need of filling. Especially the one that they told me was just sensitive gums, yeah right!

It's tough isn't it when you know you have kept up your teeth and taking calcium, etc. and teeth still have problems!

I would like to know too if it is safe to get a filling since I won't have insurance much longer.

Anyway, I hope everything goes well for you and your teeth don't keep getting worse!

------------------
God Bless!!!!
It's a girl!!!!
Noelle Marie due 8/1

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2003, 12:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

coppertop HB User
Im pretty sure its safe to get cavities filled since they only use a local. Check with your doctor, but I'm almost positive that it should be okay. I know somebody who actually got their wisdom teeth removed during pregnancy.

Old 04-29-2003, 01:09 PM   #4
Inactive

siren24 HB User
Hey, thanks for posting this cause I never would have thought of it. I have all 32 teeth except one wisdom tooth on the bottom that has been halfway through since I was 17. It's sitting against the jaw bone and won't come through, and I really just need to get it out. However, we've never had any dental insurance, so I've never been able to afford the surgery. I've never had a cavity and my gums look pretty good at every checkup, so I haven't been to the dentist in ages.

Anyway, the problem is, every few months or so, that gum where the tooth is half through will become inflamed and so sore I can't chew on that side. And it's just flared back up again. Is this type of gum infection dangerous to the baby? It always ends up going away on it's own, but I've never been pregnant before, either. I have mitral valve prolapse, too, so if I go to the densits I'm supposed to take antibiotics, because infection from your mouth gets into your heart and bloodstream very quickly. I should actually be taking antibiotics anytime I get a mouth infection to prevent a valve infection in my heart.... but antibiotics and baby???? Or is the infection a danger to spread to affect baby? So confusing. Anyone ever dealt with this before?

Old 04-30-2003, 01:11 AM   #5

melstone HB User
I read somewhere that it is okay to have dental work done. Ask your doctor and if it okay get it done as soon as possible! I waited and now I need three root canals and crowns. The dentist said that being pregnant can take a toll on your teeth.

------------------
Melissa

Old 04-30-2003, 04:51 PM   #6
Inactive

bmoncher HB User
Yes, Dental work is ok.
I had root canal while I was pregnant. Just tell the dentist NO EPINEPHRINE in the local...

Old 04-30-2003, 05:34 PM   #7
Inactive

Nicksmom HB User
If you get your teeth filled while pg. make sure it's with risen (sp?). Do not let them put silver fillings in your mouth because it's 50% mercury and you will absorb some into your body when they first apply it and the mercury can cause disabilities in the baby.

Old 04-30-2003, 07:19 PM   #8
Inactive

dingo_102 HB User
Thanks for the replies I am glad to hear it's okay to go but now I just have to find a dentist that will accept my state-insurance. I called my usual dentist and they don't accept it. My sister had to wait 3 months to see a dentist over her wisdom teeth and my aunt had to wait 2 months because she couldn't find anyone to accept her insurance. I really hope I don't have that big of a hassel. Dentist around here are really hard to see because it seems like they are booked forever! Well thanks guys

april
9/19 It's a Boy

Closed Thread