It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2003, 11:43 AM   #1

dawnsmith HB User
Exclamation low hcg levels

I found out I was pregnant on April 22nd. I was due for my period around Friday,April 18th, but when I didn't get it, I took an HPT the next day and it was negative. I figured my period was just a little late, which isn't uncommon for me, and the next day I started experiencing cramping and a little brownish discharge. I just thought I was getting my period, and didn't think anything of it. Then, on Monday, I thought something was very wrong because I was still having cramps and my period only showed up when I wiped myself after going to the bathroom. The color would change from pink to brown, and it continued that way throughout the day. The next day, Tuesday, I felt dizzy and a little nauseas so I took another HPT and it came out positive, BUT, the pink line was so faint, I could barely see it. I took another HPT the next morning, first thing, and it, too, was positive, but the line was very light. I called my dr. that morning and he immediately sent me for blood tests. The next day my hcg level showed as 103...very low. I saw my dr. the same day, and he did an internal exam, but was unable to tell me whether or not he could tell if the pregnancy was intrauterine. On Friday, I had more blood work, and my hcg was 130. It didn't double, and didn't even come close. My dr. prepared me for a miscarriage. On Saturday night, all spotting and cramping stopped. On Monday, more blood work and the hcg was only 297. Today, 3 days later, my hcg was 866. The hcg is progressing, but it's not high enough at this point, and my dr. is telling me not to get my hopes up. I have a sonogram for next Thursday, but the dr. isn't that sure that anything will be visible on the u/s. I KNOW that the only two possible dates of conception were April 5th or April 8th. Therefore, it's not just "too early to tell." I am VERY worried, and I cannot sleep at night. The dr. has said that it could be ectopic, or a blighted ovum, or...and this is so bad...that if there is a baby, there is a huge possibility that something is wrong with it. I am so scared. Has anyone else ever had the same problem? I have no pregnancy symptoms other than occasional nausea, (but I can't tell if it's pregnancy-induced, or if it's my nerves), and lightheaded/dizziness. I am not spotting or cramping, and I am very tired, but I'm thinking it's because I'm not sleeping well from the stress of this all. Has anyone out there delivered a normal, healthy baby after having hcg levels so low? What are the chances that this baby will make it? My dr. says that an u/s will be difficult to detect things unless my hormone level reaches near 12,000. I have a VERY long way to go in that case. I am about 6 weeks LMP, and 3-4 weeks gestational. Could it be a missed miscarriage...in that case, would the hcg still rise? What are the chances that my body is just really different compared to what the "normal" hcg level in most people is? I have more blood work scheduled for Tuesday, and then I have my u/s on Thursday. Please help.....I am really going insane! BTW, I have a VERY healthy 3 year old daughter. Would it hurt to compare the hcg level from my first pregnancy with this one?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2003, 12:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

coppertop HB User
Everthing I have read about HCG levels, is that the number isn't so important as the fact they are rising. And there is a huge difference in whats a normal number. Of course, im not a doctor or an expert but I wouldn't give up ALL hope yet.

You can do an internet search and find some sample charts of HCG levels in different women. You might find that your numbers are in the normal range.

[This message has been edited by coppertop (edited 05-01-2003).]

Old 05-01-2003, 12:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

coppertop HB User
Dawn,
I found this chart for you:

Here are the serum hCG values for singleton pregnancies:
Average mIU/ml (high-low)
14 dpo: 48 119-17
15 dpo: 59 147-17
16 dpo: 95 223-33
17 dpo: 132 429-17
18:dpo: 292 758-70
19 dpo: 303 514-111
20 dpo: 522 1690-135
21 dpo: 1061 4130-324
22 dpo: 1287 3279-185
23 dpo: 2034 4660-506

Old 05-01-2003, 12:53 PM   #4
Veteran

LadyLight HB User
Dawn,

I found the exact same information online about single pregnancy HCG levels. Looks like you're in the ballpark. I'm with Coppertop that if they're rising then please don't give up hope. If your doctor isn't supportive then consider finding another one, someone who will be caring and answer all your questions.

You'll be in our thoughts. Please keep us posted! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Old 05-01-2003, 07:12 PM   #5

Trac y HB User
I will keep you in my prayers.

Closed Thread