It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2003, 10:05 AM   #1
Veteran

angelsen HB User
Post Failed the 1hr. glucose test :(

I am sooo mad that I failed!!! I sooo didn't want to have to go through the 3-4hr one where you have to fast!! But I think I brought it on myself. I didn't think about raisins being high in sugar and ate a big bowl of raisin bran before I took the drink! duh!! Oh well now I guess I pay for my ignorance. Not being able to eat for 14-16 hrs. is going to be interesting. Of course most of the time I will be sleeping which will be nice! Afterwards I am definitely treating myself to some chinese food!!!

Anyone fail their one hour and had the other come back just fine???

------------------
God Bless!!!!
It's a girl!!!!
Noelle Marie due 8/1

Old 05-02-2003, 10:11 AM   #2

sweetmelf HB User
Hi Angel,

Yes, that happened to me. I failed my 1 hour test when I was pregnant with my second baby and they sent me for the 3 hour one and I passed it. I was so happy that I didn't have gestational diabetes because my one craving with my second was Snicker candy bars! I would have been miserable!

Hope your 3 hour test will come back normal.

Good luck!
Sweetmelf (edd 10-08-2003)

and baby #3, Alyssa Drew EDD 10-08
IT'S A GIRL!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2003, 10:15 AM   #3
Inactive

lovelyme HB User
I have always been advised to eat less before you go to the appt. too. Too bad no one told ya that huh? Angel next time you eat the raisan bran...look at the raisins. They're covered it a bit of sugar. Still I never would have thought either. Who new?

------------------
Marie
It's A Boy!!
Expected August 2, 2003

Old 05-02-2003, 10:18 AM   #4
Veteran

angelsen HB User
Thank you Sweetmelf! That gives me hope! I am pretty sure it was because of the raisins. Overall I have been really good and totally do not have a sweet tooth. So I pray it does come out o.k. At least with the fasting it will be more accurate even though I am dreading that part of it! Oh well!

Marie - Yeah it would have been nice if I either looked at the label or something. Plus I should have made myself fast since I was going in the morning just to be safe. But oh well on I go to the lovely 3-4hr one! I hate getting blood drawn and now I get to do it about 4-5 times in one day!!

------------------
God Bless!!!!
It's a girl!!!!
Noelle Marie due 8/1

[This message has been edited by angelhansen (edited 05-02-2003).]

Old 05-02-2003, 10:31 AM   #5
(female)

Starbuk498 HB User
Angelhansen,

don't worry sweetie! I too failed my 1 hour test....and I went for my second last week and failed that one! So, I'm on a special low carb diet that is helping me manage my Gestational Diabetis.

But, just because you fail the first one doesn't mean that you will fail the second. Go, get it done and don 't worry.

Should it come back a little high.......you just will have to watch your carbs and sugar......and it's a piece of cake. The gestational Diabetis is completely managable. So don't worry!

You'll be fine!!

------------------
~Stefanie
IT'S A BOY!
~EDD 7/15/03~

Old 05-02-2003, 10:37 AM   #6
Veteran

angelsen HB User
Thanks for the encouragement Stefanie!!! I really appreciate it!! I will let you all know when I find out next week sometime. Whatever happens, happens. But at least like you said it's not that big of a deal to keep it under control. I do intake a lot of carbs so maybe that is my problem.

------------------
God Bless!!!!
It's a girl!!!!
Noelle Marie due 8/1

Old 05-02-2003, 11:03 AM   #7
Inactive

lovelyme HB User
So with the 3 hour they draw your blood that many times?

YIKES!!!!!

------------------
Marie
It's A Boy!!
Expected August 2, 2003

Old 05-02-2003, 11:08 AM   #8
(female)

Starbuk498 HB User
Lovelyme,

I just had the test done last week and here is the "itinerary" so to speak.

You have to fast overnight - and come in to the office, and they will draw your blood to see what your levels are without any food in you.

They then give you the sugary drink and after you down that, they have you wait an hour (and they want the time to be exact) and then they draw your blood for the second time.

After that, they make you wait another hour and then take your blood again.

And then after that, they make you wait an hour and then draw your blood again.

All together, they draw it 4 times - it won't be so bad if you ask them to use a "butterfly" needle.....it's the smallest needle and is the least painful - trust me - I'm the world's biggest baby!!

The test really wasn't that bad......just take magazines.........they made the time whip flash by for me.

Best of luck!!!!!

------------------
~Stefanie
IT'S A BOY!
~EDD 7/15/03~

Old 05-02-2003, 11:13 AM   #9
(female)

Starbuk498 HB User
Angelhansen

Your welcome! But really, don't worry. It's not as bad as you think. I was PETRIFIED when I knew that there was a chance that I could have GD - but honestly, it really is very easy to manage.

And, it will not be harmful to your baby. I love my carbs and sugar! And I just have to try to eliminate as much sugar as I can and just limit the carbs - it's not life changing, trust me!

Just focus on passing the 3 hour.....and don't worry, you just might be worrying for nothing!

Best of luck and if you have any questions about the GD - don't hesitate to ask!!!!!!!

take care and god bless

------------------
~Stefanie
IT'S A BOY!
~EDD 7/15/03~

[This message has been edited by Starbuk498 (edited 05-02-2003).]

Old 05-02-2003, 01:43 PM   #10
Veteran

angelsen HB User
Thanks again Stefanie!! I may have to ask a bunch of questions, but we'll just take one step at a time! I pray I do pass the test, but I know now it's not that big of a deal if I don't. Thank you very much for setting my mind at ease!!

Does gaining a lot of weight have anything to do with it maybe?

------------------
God Bless!!!!
It's a girl!!!!
Noelle Marie due 8/1

Old 05-02-2003, 02:21 PM   #11
Inactive

siren24 HB User
Oh, I am so sorry.... I just went through that. That test was AWFUL!!!! Of course, it may have been worse for me because my hypoclycemia kicked in. I felt pretty bad for the rest of the day. I passed, though, so maybe you will, too. My best advice is when you get done, go get a steak or something really high in protien. Hopefully that will make you feel normal again. Good luck! Hope it was just the raisin bran.

Old 05-02-2003, 03:34 PM   #12
Veteran

angelsen HB User
Talking

Thanks Siren! Sorry to hear you had a tough time with it. I was thinking about getting Chinese afterwards, but maybe that isn't good enough for protein. We'll see how I am feeling afterwards I guess. I am glad you passed and hopefully I will pass too!!

------------------
God Bless!!!!
It's a girl!!!!
Noelle Marie due 8/1

Old 05-02-2003, 07:30 PM   #13

dawnsmith HB User
I failed the one hour test with my first baby, and the 3 hour test came back fine. The same thing has happened to a LOT of people I know. The test itself isn't so bad, it's just really boring, so take something to occupy yourself. Also, if you are the type to get kind of shaky when you haven't had anything to eat, make sure you have something in the car with you on your way home, or you have someone to take you home. I get dizzy when I don't eat, and after the test, I had a really hard time making it back home. Hang in there....I hope you get good news the second time!

Old 05-02-2003, 08:42 PM   #14
Senior Veteran

friendlyrobyn HB User
i too failed the 1hour and happily passed the 3 hour. The fasting wasnt as bad as the not being able to do much but sit at the drs for three hours. (not that i have any energy)i couldnt leave and come back because they dont want you to burn off the sugar too fast! Good luck angel!!!

------------------
our first babys EDD 11/27/03 Thanksgiving

Old 05-04-2003, 09:51 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

kippy6 HB User
I know of at least 2 PG's I failed my 1-hour, but passed my 3-hour. I think the last PG I passed the 1-hour. I didn't even think about not eating anything sweet (even hidden sugars you don't think about) before I go to my appt. I'm sorry you have to go to the 3-hour now. Hope all works out well. Has you or anyone in your family ever had gestational diabetes?

Closed Thread