It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2003, 11:44 AM   #1
(female)

Lissie2414 HB User
Post RH Negative

Hi Everyone
I was just wondering if anyone else has ever had this before. I found out that my blood type is O- so they are going to test my Boyfriends blood to see if he is negative too because if he is then I will have to get a shot at 28 weeks and then again once the baby is born. I was just wondering how common this was and if anyone else has ever had this. I read some on the internet about it and it seems to be pretty under control right now and not as dangerous as it once was. Thanx for the help.

------------------
Lissie
11/22/03

Old 05-02-2003, 11:59 AM   #2
(female)

Starbuk498 HB User
LIzzie,

My blood is A- and my hubby's is O+

I am getting the shot on Saturday (tomorrow)

I was unaware that I needed it again after the baby's born, but if I do, then thats fine.

If one of the parents are negative and the other parent is positive, then, the shot needs to be given.

Hope this helps some!

------------------
~Stefanie
IT'S A BOY!
~EDD 7/15/03~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2003, 12:31 PM   #3
(female)

Lissie2414 HB User
Thanx Starbuk - I was thinking that if he was negative too then I would need the shot but a positive makes more sense. They said that they give it a 28 weeks and again at birth. The one at birth is because that is when there is more of a possibility of the baby's and Mom's blood of mixing. Thanx for the information.
Good luck on your shot tomorrow.

Old 05-02-2003, 01:33 PM   #4

CURIOUSCHICK HB User
I was shocked when I found out that I was RH negative, the potential dangers of it, and the way in which I was told.

I had an ectopic pregancy in December and as I was leaving the hospital after surgery, the nurse said, "oh, one more thing. . . this shot. . ." and that was pretty much it! Then I did some reading on the Internet and found out what all was involved and I was a little taken back.

It's absolutely under control in today's world, but it just scared me that it might have gotten missed. You are supposed to have the shot, as Lissie said, at 28 weeks and at birth. You are also supposed to have it if you have any bleeding during your pregnancy or if you have a miscarriage or an ectopic.

Failure to get the shot would not affect the current baby, but if your blood mixes with a positive baby's blood, over time your body would build up antibodies to the positive blood. Then if you would ever have another positive baby in the future, your these antibodies would react by attacking the positive blood. Even if this happens, there are treatments that are somewhat scary but very effective.

I was so freaked out when I learned about all this, only because I NEVER heard of it before. My doctor assured me that in today's world, it is very rare to see an RH negative situation cause serious problems. I feel better now that I am educated on it!

Just don't hesitate to call your doctor if you ever experience bleeding during your pregnancy. Only your doctor can assess if there is a need for that shot or not.

Old 05-02-2003, 01:58 PM   #5

Carey154 HB User
I am Type B- and 34 wks PG. I had a shot of Rhogam at 28wks. My doctor orderd me to have the shot regardless of what my husbands blood type was. It's standard practice where I'm from. I didn't see why you would need it if you know your husband is negative, but as she explained it sometimes the woman may be guessing as to who the father of her baby is. If she is wrong and the father is actually positive the outcome would be terrible. Just to clarify, I do know that my husband is the father
As far as getting another shot after the baby is born, they will only give this shot if your baby tests RH positive. I was worried about getting the shot at first, but it really wasn't too bad. They usually give it in the butt because of the amount they have administer. There were no side effects at all.

Good Luck
Carey

Old 05-02-2003, 02:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kippy6 HB User
I'm RH- too. My husband is RH+. I was also concerned when I first found out about it. But I've never had a problem with it. Just try to remember if you're ever out of town and you have bleeding while PG to find out how long you have to get the shot.

Old 05-02-2003, 02:17 PM   #7

sarah_december HB User
hi lissie,
i too am rh - and i posted a message with the same topic a few days ago after i found out. We don't know my DH's type. i've had some bleeding for the past two weeks. They took blood yesterday again and found that i haven't been sensitized yet, but my dr. wants to give a shot by Monday (she said i could either come in today or Monday, b/c of work I had to choose Monday) I am 8wks4days. Why do they give the shot at 28weeks? Why not earlier like I will have? Is there any harm in getting it done prior to 28 weeks?
i also had no idea about the potential danger in being rh -. My dr. said we could get my DH blood typed if we wanted to, but it would probably be just as easy for me to go ahead and get the shot.

Old 05-05-2003, 05:59 AM   #8
(female)

Lissie2414 HB User
HI Everyone
I want to Thank you all for posting replys to my question. WE are getting my boyfriend typed next week and then they will know if they have to give me the shot or not. I did some reading about this on the internet and I was totally freaked by what could happen. I am so glad to learn that today they have this under control so I feel a lot better. I did not know that I would have to get the shot sooner if I experienced any bleeding and that is something that I am glad that I now know. I want to Thank you ladies for all of the great info and for putting my fears to rest.

Happy Pregnancies

------------------
Lissie
11/22/03

Old 05-05-2003, 06:10 AM   #9

CURIOUSCHICK HB User
Sarah - It's my understanding that the shot is given at 28 weeks because you are nearing the end of your pregnancy and this is the time when mixing of blood between mother and baby is most likely to occur. There is no danger in getting it earlier - it's just a precaution when there are other signs of bleeding early in a pregnancy. The reason it's not always done that early is because the shot expires after some time (I think a few months) and there is no need for it unless mixing of blood is suspected.

Lissie - I was shocked by my reading on the internet too. I called my doctor and asked a ton of questions and I'm not even currently pregnant! I feel better now too.

Old 05-05-2003, 07:10 AM   #10

Colleywobbles24 HB User
I too an RH negative and my husband is RH positive. I spent last night in the emergency room gushing bright red blood and thought for sure I was having a miscarriage. My cervix was closed and my Beta was over 22,000 after being 15,600 on Friday. So, I had the shot of Rhogam. I am to stay in bed or on the couch relaxing until I have a follow up with my OB this week. I am so scared something is going to happen with this baby, so if anyone has any extra prayers we are in need.

Amanda
7w1d with a peanut that scared her to death!!!

Old 05-05-2003, 12:34 PM   #11

sarah_december HB User
bump

Closed Thread