It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2003, 01:50 PM   #1

CURIOUSCHICK HB User
Post Anyone watch "Friends" last night?

I'm back to TTC again after a very disappointing experience with an ectopic pregnancy in December.

Anyway, Friends is my favorite "Must See TV" show, so my husband and I were watching last night when Monica and Chandler were told by the fertility clinic that he has low sperm motility and she has a "hostile environment", whatever that means!

I was told after my ectopic and losing a tube that I might have blockage in the other tube as well, until my HSG came through with great results and proved otherwise. In the mean time, there was a month of my life where I thought the pregnancy thing might not ever happen for DH and I. It was the hardest month of my whole life. I can't imagine. We've decided that we'll get through it no matter what... which is exactly what Chandler said!

So, we're watching this scene and the emotion is building and building, which isn't that strange for me because I cry reading Hallmark cards and watching sappy commercials on TV. Suddenly, I look over and my DH bursts out into tears! He got up and hugged me and we both just cried in each other's arms for a half hour. I never thought that a sitcom would be to thank, but this may be the closest I've ever felt to my DH. It was like watching someone else go through what we went through and seeing the exact look of pain on their faces that we experienced just a few months ago. It's just a corny sitcom, but they sure got to my soft spot last night! Comedy turned tearjerker!

Friends is my fav TV show and our relationship is so much like Monica and Chandler's, it's uncanny. Plus, they got married the same week we did! I know I sound kinda looney, but I just thought I would share my story!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2003, 01:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

tcb0609 HB User
I'm so sorry about what has happened to you!

I also saw Friends last night and cried. DH had wanted to watch it, but changed his mind at the last minute...he didn't want to see it because it has really started bothering him that we have not conceived yet.

I hope that you will join us on the ttc buddies thread again whenever you are ready. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Old 05-02-2003, 02:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

coppertop HB User
CURIOUSCHICK,
I was so touched by this story. I don't watch "Friends", but I glad it was able to bring you and your dh closer. I know ttc can be such a stressful time for a marriage.

Old 05-02-2003, 02:20 PM   #4
Veteran

kmc235 HB User
Curiouschick, you're story is really touching. Thanks for sharing and best of luck TTC.

Old 05-02-2003, 06:37 PM   #5
Veteran

dutchess-1979 HB User
Curiouschick- I love Friend's too... I have never missed an episode. I totally know what you mean! My best friend went through the same ordeal (her DH had low motiltiy and she had a hostile environment) and she called me after the show. I had read in Star magazine that they were going to be unfertile so I tild her to call me when it was over if she wanted to talk.

I usually don't like it when comedies turn serious ("Tonight, on a very special Blossom....") but this show is one of the few that can totally get away with it!

Thanks for the post!

P.S.
A hostile environment means that her body's bacteria kill off any sperm that enter her uterus. It see's it as a foreign substance and kicks into overdrive to get rid of it. It's quite sad, because it usually means that you will most likely not be able to conceive without external measures (IVF and the like).

Have a great evening and good luck with TTC!

------------------
Vanessa
TTC since April '02
"I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!"

Old 05-05-2003, 05:37 AM   #6

CURIOUSCHICK HB User
tcb0609 - I remember you from when I used to post on the buddies thread! I started to post there earlier today and then I stopped myself - sometimes getting too involved in this board makes me crazy because I can think of nothing but TTC. I'm going to post really quick and say hi to everyone!

I feel so bad for my DH because I think he has started to be the same way you are describing your DH. It's really starting to worry him that this process has turned so complicated. I can be emotional whenever and it's OK - he just breaks down every once in a while!

I cried for an hour last night because I had some spotting, which is the first sign of AF's pending arrival. I really hoped this was going to be the month. It is a very stressful time for a marriage, but at the same time, it brings us closer and closer together. Maybe that's what I'm supposed to take away from all this.

Thanks for reading my sappy story!

Old 05-07-2003, 11:13 AM   #7

Karcia HB User
Hi Curiouschick:

Just thought I would give you a bit of hope. I had a laproscopy done, and they injected dye into my tubes. They are both blocked. My DH and I had not started to TTC yet, but I obviously stopped my birth control. What was the point? We signed up for invitro right away since there was a wait, etc. I found out in Sept 2002 that my tubes were blocked, and got into invitro in Jan for our "practice" appointment. The actual procedure was scheduled for the end of April/03. After this January appt, I was to call the clinic with the first day of AF, and I would begin the drugs at that time. I hadn't paid much attention the AF, since I just knew it would come, but I did remember my last one was Christmas, since I was having a lot of pain with it. So, I was a day or 2 late, and I was getting frustrated. The sooner AF started, the sooner I could start the drugs, etc. Well, at 6 days late, they rushed me in for a pregnancy test (because it should have been ectopic with my severe blockage) , and yep! I was pregnant. Unbelievable. They do not know how I could get pregnant, but people in geneneral (not my Dr) all say it was because we were relaxed and not trying. No stress. I am now 19 weeks, and all is well.

Don't give up hope. You just never know, and it really sounds like your blockage is less severe than mine. At least you know the sperm is getting to the eggs. Just don't put much pressure on yourself, and try to relax. I am thinking about you.

Karcia.
Edd 10/01

Closed Thread