It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
(female)

Im_Robyn HB User
Anyone else with a subchorionic hematoma

Last Wednesday I went to the ER with extremely heaving bleeding I mean it was gushing out I thought for sure I was losing the baby. They did an ultrasound and found the baby alive and with a heartbeat!! I coudln't believe it I was told I was having a threatended abortion and to wait it out. The next day, after a night of gushing blood I went to my doctors office where they performed another u/s, they found the baby still alive and a pretty big subchorionic hematoma. The doctor really didn't answer my questions as she really didn't care. I am now 10 weeks pregnant and I have been mostly spotting brown since last week but I have had a couple episodes of period heavy bleeding last night included. I'm an absolute mess and my doctors office doesn't seem to be concerned. I was told that I have a 50% of losing the baby and to just except it...come on really??
Anyway I was hoping that some of you ladies that may be going through or have gone through the same thing could answer a question for me; where is the bleeding coming from? Some websites say the clot others say it's from the placenta tareing away from the uterus. Have any of you been told exactly or is it unknown like this whole depressing situation seems to be. Also I would love to hear your success stories, I have read far too many loss stories so if any of you have been through this with a happy out come I would love to hear your story. Right now I need something positive to keep my hopes up.
Thanks ladies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2011, 07:14 AM   #2
(female)

sheona HB User
Re: Anyone else with a subchorionic hematoma

Hi Robyn,
I know exactly what you are going through! I was 14 weeks when I had a massive bleed, we also thought for sure I was loosing the baby. The A&E (I'm in England) also sent me home with a threatened miscarriage; where I cried and paniced for days not knowing what to do or how to feel. The bleeding then just stopped completely for a couple of days, but when it started again I went back to A&E and was diagnosed with a subchorionic haematoma. The doctor explained to me that it was a collection of blood (basically a blood clot) that sits in your uterus between the wall and the amniotic sac. It can be close to the placenta and this can cause your placenta to break away from the wall or your uterus causing further problems.

The next time you see your doctor or have an US, ask:
How big in relation to baby the haematoma is? (under 50% gives you a higher chance of success).
Where the haematoma is in relation to your placenta? (if it's nowhere near your placenta this is good).

Have you been given any advice by your doctor? Some doctors suggest complete bed rest, others modified bed rest, some just say to take it easy. I was told just to take it easy (I also have a 4 year old to take care of) and I noticed if I walked too far etc the bleeding got worse. All is not lost, I know right now you must feel completely shattered and confused; you must stay positive and pray for 24 weeks to come around quickly! It's all that helped me through.

I am now 31 weeks pregnant, my haematoma resolved by itself at 28 weeks. I had alot of pain from my haematoma, the doctor called it an irritable uterus; basically it didn't like the clot being there and was contracting to try and get rid of it. They can give you pain killers and even progesterone shots to stop this causing preterm labour.

Sorry I've written a huge essay! If you have any other questions, please just ask; I bugged my doctor for hours asking everything I possibly could so I may be able to answer your worries.

Take care,
Sheona

Old 02-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brooke85 HB User

I am not sure what causes them either. I had one at 5-6 weeks pregnant and thought for sure I was losing the baby. My hcg levels weren't doubling like they should've been and I was basically told the same thing...to just wait it out because I was probably miscarrying. I had to beg the Dr.'s office to do an u/s. They kept insisting that they might not be able to see anything quite yet (I figured, since this was my third pregnancy), but the unknown was killing me and I had to go in and see. All they could see was the sac, and a teeny little dot that "might" be the baby. Wasn't far enough along to see a h/b yet. After the u/s, I used the restroom and when I wiped I saw 2 dime-sized clots that looked like they had human tissue in them, like nothing I had ever seen. I was heartbroken and thought, "well, that must've been the baby." The Dr.'s office finally called me back the next day and told me that after reviewing the u/s that they noticed I had a subchorionic hemmorhage. I had no clue what it was, but was told I was probably not miscarrying. They told me to come back in another week for an u/s again. The wait was killing me! I tortured myself by going back two times during that week for more bloodwork to check my hcg levels (I requested the appt's) and my hcg levels still weren't doubling in 72 hours. At my next u/s they could actually see the baby and a h/b and I was so relieved! I spotted brown off and on for another couple of weeks after that, but had no cramping and was told it was perfectly normal. I'm 32 weeks now, and as far as I know things are going healthy.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User

Two more success stories:

My sister and law and I both had a SH at the same time! Hers was an IVF pregnancy, mine was not. She was on strict bed rest, I was not. After mega scary, big bleeding episodes, they both resolved. We both had healthy, full term babies! Best of luck to you! I'm sure it will be fine!

Closed Thread