It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

prisc1125 HB User
Edema

Hello,
I am in my sixth month and started getting foot/ankle/calf edema a few weeks ago. I am drinking water and exercising but don't see the swelling change. If anything, I have foot pain and one foot cannot fit into sneakers that are typically too big for me.

I've already had a DVT scare in my left leg but that turned out to be just that, a scare. In that case, just one foot/leg ballooned.

This seems to be a typical thing but is very uncomfortable.

Does anyone have any strategies? Thanks.

prisc1125

Old 01-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
(female)

kittenkaboodle HB User
Re: Edema

Hi Prisc,

I'm sorry to hear that you aren't very comfortable. I too had major swelling towards the end of my first pregnancy. I didn't really find much that helped, but just to ensure you are wearing socks and shoes that are comfy for you. I bought a pair of simple stretchy black ballet flats, and literally wore them out. They were the only thing that fit my huge volleyball feet!

Good luck to you! You're getting close... : )

Kitten

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

prisc1125 HB User
Re: Edema

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittenkaboodle View Post
Hi Prisc,

I'm sorry to hear that you aren't very comfortable. I too had major swelling towards the end of my first pregnancy. I didn't really find much that helped, but just to ensure you are wearing socks and shoes that are comfy for you. I bought a pair of simple stretchy black ballet flats, and literally wore them out. They were the only thing that fit my huge volleyball feet!

Good luck to you! You're getting close... : )

Kitten

Hi Kitten,
Thanks! I did not think there was much that could be done. I drink lots of water, exercise, try to avoid salt, and rest my feet when I can. I was told by one doctor to try compression stockings. Don't know if the use is warranted for pregnancy.

I am considered "Advanced maternal age" and I can tell you my body is standing up in boycott at almost every turn. Just thankful I've been a fitness buff because I cannot imagine what this would have been like otherwise.

Yes, that I am so close has me pretty nervous. This will likely be our one and only.

Cheers,
Prisc1125

Last edited by prisc1125; 01-18-2011 at 03:02 PM.

Closed Thread