It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
(male)

worriedDad2be HB User
My Wife is 26 weeks and her cervix is 2.3! :(

My wife is 26 weeks and here cervix measured 2.3 with slight funneling and she has a bicornuate uterus. The doctors are monitoring her closley each week. The doctors say for now its just something we have to watch. 3 weeks ago she was 3.4 then 2 weeks later she went to 2.6 then 1 week later she went to 2.3-2.4

We are just not sure what to expect and just very worried. We obviously want to go as long as possible with the pregnancy but just don't know what to expect. Looks like everyone online has different experiences so does that mean its just up in the air and we have to roll the dice? My wife is staying on as strict of best rest as she can only getting up to go to the bathroom or to get some food when I am not home. We are keeping her legs elevated and just keeping her down as much as possible.

Can anyone shed some light on what we are to expect? Does once her cervix go to 0 is that the baby coming? Can the cervix pause from thinning? I do trust our doctors and think thay are very good but I have a million questions on whats happening and how to be as preventative as possible.

worried dad....

The following user gives a hug of support to worriedDad2be:
sjb (02-06-2011)
Old 02-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: My Wife is 26 weeks and her cervix is 2.3! :(

Hi well a relative mine had a preemie baby and she survived. Sometimes meds are given that somehow keep the babies in but if these can be avoided at all possible it might be less likely to cause a birth defect in the baby. If a person dilates to 10 cm yes I think the babies usually come out. I would avoid relations if I were in this situation. The common thinking today is that it is ok in some professionals thinking and some peoples thinking, however other professionals feel it makes no sense. I feel it makes no sense.

Sometimes a procedure called cerclage is done to help keep the baby in. It does have some terrible risks that some people are willing to take, they include things like infection of the mother, (some people die of infection). Uterine rupture and bladder damage were other side effects. Sometimes the mother might get fever or vomiting. There have been some other side effects, if the procedure is done the doctor should be asked about all side effects and a bit of research on a person's own might be useful. Cerclage can only be done before the cervix reaches 4 cm according to some. Some think it is better to do just bed rest. One might consider the health of the mother for the next time around if the baby might not make it anyway. If uterus is ruptured it makes it difficult for subsequent pregnancies I have heard. Sometimes the babies survive well and do just fine. Hope this helps.

Last edited by sjb; 02-06-2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: important addition made

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by worriedDad2be View Post
My wife is 26 weeks and here cervix measured 2.3 with slight funneling and she has a bicornuate uterus. The doctors are monitoring her closley each week. The doctors say for now its just something we have to watch. 3 weeks ago she was 3.4 then 2 weeks later she went to 2.6 then 1 week later she went to 2.3-2.4

We are just not sure what to expect and just very worried. We obviously want to go as long as possible with the pregnancy but just don't know what to expect. Looks like everyone online has different experiences so does that mean its just up in the air and we have to roll the dice? My wife is staying on as strict of best rest as she can only getting up to go to the bathroom or to get some food when I am not home. We are keeping her legs elevated and just keeping her down as much as possible.

Can anyone shed some light on what we are to expect? Does once her cervix go to 0 is that the baby coming? Can the cervix pause from thinning? I do trust our doctors and think thay are very good but I have a million questions on whats happening and how to be as preventative as possible.

worried dad....

I could be wrong, but I think that when they say her cervix is 2.3, they mean how many centimeters dilated.
When her cervix is dilated to 10 centimeters, she'll give birth.
If her cervix is dilating too soon, they'll put her on bedrest (which is sounds like they have already). This will keep the weight of the fetus from pressing down on her cervix, and may stop the dilation.
In extreme cases of premature cervical dilation/ incompetent cervix, they can do something called a cerclage, where they basically sew the cervix shut. Then you won't have to worry about it dilating prematurely; they can just snip out the stitches when the time comes.

Since they haven't suggested this yet, I suspect you wife's doctor thinks the situation isn't that serious and that bedrest will do the trick.

I know it's scary, but even if the baby is born premature, they are able to save most of them these days. My son was two months premature (in my case, my water broke unexpectedly and early). He was kept in the ICU for almost a month, but he's fine now- grown up and healthy, with a child of his own.

I think everything will be okay. Just follow the doctor's instructions to the letter, and if you're confused about something, ask the doctor.

Best wishes.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Just wanted to let you know we have a friend who was at the same place as your wife at 23 weeks and with twins.

With bed rest, she made it to 29 weeks when premature labor started. She was hospitalized and they stopped the labor pains. She made it to just under 32 weeks.

Babies were 3lb4oz and 3lb10oz, born on New Year's Eve. The little girl was the smaller but she is already home. The bigger boy still is not sucking all the time so he's is still in the NICU. But both are healthy and mom is fine.

Listen to your OB and do what he/she says and hopefully everything will be fine. Every day makes a difference right now.

Be praying for your wife and baby.

hugs...........Jenny

Closed Thread