HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/pregnancy/)
-   -   Am I supposed to be showing??? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/pregnancy/837138-am-i-supposed-showing.html)

Bella283 02-23-2011 08:24 PM

Am I supposed to be showing???

Ok so I am on my 17th week of my pregnancy and i have already gained about 15 pounds...I do not fit in any of my old jeans and my stomach feels flabby...I was about 150 lbs before i was pregnant and im worried that im gaining too much. I also feel like im gaining the weight on my back a little (like love handles)... I am also wondering if there is a good chance my body will go back to normal after the baby is born...I do not want a scrunchy tummy ( i seen a girls stomach that i know and it was quite scary, no offense) i just dont want to stress too much because it kind of depresses me... thanks...

lost_n_confused 03-10-2011 01:05 PM

Re: Am I supposed to be showing???

peoples bodies react in different ways during pregnancy.. if your doctor hasnt expressed any worry with your weight gain then you shouldnt either (in terms of something being wrong, i know worry about the added pounds is hard to control) but you will lose some weight when you have the baby.. im not sure your eating style but maybe try to eat a bit healthier? your doctor may also have some suggestions for you there also.. DO NOT DIET! but you can talk to your doctor and see what excersizes you can do.. most will ok walking with a healthy pregnancy... your belly will most likely be a bit "scrunchy" after you have the baby, as your muscles stretch as your baby grows, BUT after that baby comes out and you get the ok.. you can do sit ups or cruches and it will go back to normal. also, breast feeding is a really good way to lose weight after! all in all when you hear that first little cry, you will have a whole other focus! hope this helped a little!

writeleft 03-10-2011 01:44 PM

Re: Am I supposed to be showing???

Hi Bella!

We all show at very different times in our pregnancies. With my first child I did not wear maternity clothes until 6 months! My second was quite a bit earlier, of course.

What is most important is to be doing everything you can to give your baby the best start possible, and your waistline cannot be your major focus...your baby is.

While we have all seen women who do not seem to have an ounce of fat, and they have the cutest bubble belly, no love handles, no back fat, no thunder thighs, nothing! There are the other women who never even know they are pregnant until delivery (although that one never makes sense to me).

Most of us women though, store fat in other areas of the body, giving us that "wide load" appearance from the rear. Which ever type of woman you are will make the difference as to how you carry your baby.

I would encourage you to embrace yourself as a beautiful woman, because the creation of a child has much more meaning that any physical changes that might bother you. It is a short time of life that you will never forget, so don't miss one second of it worrying about a few bulges or pounds.

Of course, any walking, stretching and pre-delivery type of exercise you can do will both make delivery easier and faster, as well as make the recovery faster. As "lost" mentioned, breast feeding will help the recovery greatly.

I would try and get involved in any mommy and me type of groups, where you meet with other moms for outings and friendship. There is nothing better that having friends that are also new moms to lean on for support and fun. Look into any groups that do yoga for expectant mothers, or other styles of fitness that your doctor recommends for you.

I wish you a wonderful pregnancy and easy delivery of a healthy and happy baby. It is the most miraculous thing in life, and I hope you enjoy each phase of parenting...It is a fantastic experience!