It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2011, 07:43 AM   #1
(female)

tstar101 HB User
chronic pain, meds and pregnancy

Hi girl,
How often did you have to take these? I did have to take every 4 hours from 7 mos on in pregnancy, but am now 16 days away from delivery and am down to 1. Wondering if my baby girl will be ok or addicted. I don't want them taking her away.

Thank you
tstar101

Old 03-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
(female)

suewaz HB User
Re: chronic pain, meds and pregnancy

I also took pain meds during my first pregnancy. I had extreme pain starting around my 5th month of pregnancy and was ultimately put on Oxycontin for the remaining 4 months of pregnancy. I am thankful to this day that my baby boy was OK when he was born with very minimal withdrawals. He did have some minor symptoms though, but nothing severe enough to keep us in the hospital any longer or anything. I did breastfeed while still taking the narcotics. The doctor thought that this would help because I could ween him off the narcotic as I weened him off the breastmilk. I only breastfed for two months. He was just fine though and is now a healthy 2 year old boy. After his birth though and for the next year+ I struggled with the Oxycontin and ended up with a bad addiction. I am now pregnant again but taking subutex. I hope to ween off of it before the baby is born but I have not been successful yet. Has anyone taken subutex when pregnant??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
(female)

tstar101 HB User

Do you think if in the 2 weeks leading up until delivery, I'll be ok? I've weaned off and am pretty much done here. I don't want her to have any withdrawl, so if it's out of baby's system for a week or more, would she still show symptoms?

Old 03-08-2011, 05:48 AM   #4
(female)

tstar101 HB User

Suewaz,

With your first, did you taper down at all near delivery? Wondering, because I plan to be at 0 pills within the next day and have 15 days until my due date....wondering if this will help alleviate any withdrawls she will have. I have a cousin as a labor and delivery nurse I can ask about the medication you are on now. Stay tuned.
Tstar101

Old 03-08-2011, 08:32 AM   #5
(female)

suewaz HB User

Tstar - No, I did not taper down at all. My pills were prescribed by a pain management doc in conjuction with my OB. I was taking the same amount before and after delivery (which was greater than 80mg a day most days). I am sure it will help for you to be off the pills for a couple of weeks before delivery but I do not know if it will help to alleviate all withdrawal symptoms. I would think so, but it depends on what you are taking and how much I suppose. I think that most pills are out of your body pretty quickly which means that they would be out of the baby's body as well. Just be careful not to taper too quickly and cause any distress on the baby. I am starting to taper myself and hope to be off within a month which will leave me with over two months left in my pregnancy. It is so hard though. My new OB doctor does not know I am taking this med so if I don't taper I need to let her know very soon. Does your doc know about what you are taking? Let me know if your cousin has any info. That would be great! :-)

Old 03-09-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
(female)

tstar101 HB User

Suewaz,
I emailed my cousin yesterday and she told me she would email me back today with some information on the medication you are taking and her experience with it. Once I have that info, I will forward it to you. When your baby was born, what minimal symptoms were there for the baby? How did the hospital recognize these? I have a primary care that has treated me for the headaches and the OB knew I had headaches, but was not sensitve to them and never asked me how I treated them. Now I have an appointment today but am nervous to say anything. Ultimately, I don't want them taking the baby away. Not sure how to move forward.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:53 AM   #7
(female)

suewaz HB User

He was little more fussy when he was born....and he also had some jitters. But other than that, he was OK. Since they knew I was on narcotics, they scored him on the NAS (I think that is the acronym) test. They watched him very closely. I think that if they didn't know I was on narcotics, they wouldn't have been able to even tell to be honest.

I think that if you are getting your prescription legally I don't see what grounds there would be to take your baby. Your primary care must know you are pregnant and she is still prescribing the pills, right? So, I don't think you have to worry about your baby being taken away. Were you able to stop the pills? It is so hard so I wish you the best of luck. How was your appt? Did you tell your OB?

Old 03-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
(female)

tstar101 HB User

suewaz,

You may have answered this already, but at what dose are you on of your current meds? My cousin wants to know so I can send accurate info to you. So, I was chicken and didn't tell my OBGYN. I took my last pill or what I hope is yesterday. Do you think this will make a difference? So, yes script was legal from primary and he knows im pregnant. I'm so torn right now at what to do. I wonder if there are withdrawl for baby, if they will even notice. I pray everyday that she's ok. I'm so scared. Would they get CPS involved if I told the nurses that I take these for pain? I'm at a loss and grow more nervous everyday. So far, I'm not having much symptoms...wonder what that means. Only a few more hours until the 24 hour mark. Hope to hear from you so I can send your info. Have you weaned at all??

Closed Thread