It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2003, 08:15 AM   #1

astrophel HB User
Post god parents

my husband and I were talking about god parents the other night. He's older then I, which may seem irrelevent, but does have a point. He has friends in Florida from when he lived there. I've never met them - just talked to them over the phone and they seem nice enough. They're both established in their careers and have no children. My friends are all young and are either in college or working crappy jobs to save up for college. If something happened to DH and I, I don't think I would feel comfortable with one of them raising our child - not because they're not capable, but because they're all under 25 and haven't decided what to do in life. I have a friend who would be a wonderful god-mother: she's kind, caring, successful in school and is well-to-do but she's also 20 and very free-spirited! My step-sister is also 20 and works in a day-care. She loves children, but she has no direction. Her entire paycheck goes to selfish needs instead of saving up and moving out of our parents home. She has no interest in bettering herself. My father is busy raising a 1yro (as well as my stuck-at-home step-sisters), they really wouldn't be able to support another mouth to feed.
I guess my question is, how do we go about asking someone to be our child's god-parent(s) if I don't know his friends and mine are all at that age that they wouldn't want to be souly responsible for a kid?

------------------
'When Nature made her chief work, Stella's eyes,
In colour black why wrapped she beams so bright?'

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2003, 11:43 AM   #2
Inactive

TeTr0 HB User
Maybe you could ask them how they would feel about being the god parents? Just b/c your husband's friends don't have their own children, doesn't mean they wouldn't be willing to help if the situation called for it. Talk to your friends & see what they say. Even tho they are young, still in college & like to have a good time also doesn't mean they wouldn't be willing to be there in the event something may happen. Do you have any other close relatives, like cousins? If so, what about any of them?

My parents have 6 children, so they had to find a lot of people to be god parents! I am not sure of who my oldest sister & older brother's god parents are - but my god mother is my father's cousin & my god father is his brother, my older sister's god father is my mother's uncle & her god mother is his wife, my younger brother's god mother is our oldest sister & his god father is my father's best friend, my other younger brother's god mother is my mom's best friend & his god father is our older brother... so you see, anyone could be considered for the god parents that is willing to do so!

Good luck!

Old 09-03-2003, 05:41 AM   #3

nact HB User
And, thought I'd point out that Godparents do not automatically assume guardianship of their Godchildren should something happen to both parents. Godparents are named in the church during baptism for religious purposes(ie- to help the parents raise the children according to the church etc- and I guess this would depend on your religion too)...but you must name the person/people you chose as legal guardians in your will.

My children both have different Godparents. Naturally, if something were to happen to both my husband and I, I would want my children to stay together and live with someone I felt could give them the love and lifestyle they're accustom to. The people named in our will as legal guardians of our children should something happen to my husband and I are different altogether from who we chose as Godparents.

Good luck with your decision!

Closed Thread