It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2003, 08:20 PM   #1
(female)

Amber81499 HB User
Unhappy Dr Apt....scared! Please talk to me!

My due date is Sept.22 my last sono the baby was big but healthy and we were excited. The fact that he was so big made me feel good, I kind of thought the bigger he was then the sooner he could come.....safely. Today was my doc apt and another sono. The baby is already over 8pds.....WOW. As soon as I saw that I thought it would be great, they could induce me and I would have the little one in my arms soon. So, I get into the office and the doctor tells me that it doesnt work that way. He said that my body isnt ready....so there would be no point in inducing labor because they would probably have to take the baby C-section anyway because If my body isnt ready then I probably wouldnt progress anyway. So he said that if I dont go into labor in the next week on my own then we will have to figure out a time to schedule a c-section. I am SO scared All of the things that are involved in childbirth a c-section was the one that really scared me. I know that woman have tons of c-sections everyday but I cant help but feel like something is going to go wrong. Has anyone ever felt this way? Can anybody help talk me through this? I am so scared I just start to cry anytime I even think about it.

Old 09-02-2003, 09:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

babygrant HB User
I'm really sorry I can't help you by telling you any personal stories, because I am due 9/21 with my first baby! I can understand how you are scared though, and it's a very normal feeling. You are caring for this little life inside of you! C-sections are a routine procedure now a days but that still doesn't really ease your mind. There will be other ladies on here that will be able to help you more though, but I just wanted to send big hugs your way!!! Don't worry, things will be okay!!

Angela

------------------
EDD with baby #1 for hubby and I September 21st, 2003! It's A BOY!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2003, 09:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

tinkers HB User
They have no way of knowing the actual weight of the baby. It's not like they can take the baby out and weigh it. I was told I was going to have a big baby with my last one. He was only 7 lbs 9 ozs. Just really watch what you eat until the baby does come. Good luck!

------------------
Tink (Lisa)
EDD 02-04-04
#3 Jordan or Brett

Old 09-03-2003, 12:39 AM   #4

rbsb5485 HB User
Hey there, try to relax a bit! I can only imagine how scared you are. I can't speak from experience and I know that is what you are looking for, but I can offer you prayers, (((HUGS))), and hopefully some comfort. In my latter years, my mother gave birth to twins. One was born vaginally and then the second got herself twisted and had her arm caught in the birth canal. The doctors had to do an emergency c-section and when I ask my mom about it- she said it was fine. She has had 4 children including me. And during one labor she had to give birth vaginally and by c-section. She said that it takes a little bit longer to heal than a vaginal birth, but that it wasn't that bad. She does carry a scar on her tummy where the cut was, but I'd like to tell you that it isn't that bad. All I can say I guess- is to think about the bundle of joy that you will have in your arms after it is all over. You also have the option to be put under so that you aren't alert while it is happening. (However I heard that isn't always safe for the baby.)

What is it that you are scared of? Pain? Safety of baby? Healing time? Scarring? All of it? I think that the safetly of your baby is fine and will be ok. C-sections are safe as they are practiced everyday. Some women actually schedule c-sections around their work schedules.

Just know that all of our prayers will be with you and Trevor! You will be ok...you will be! Just picture in your mind how you will feel when you hold Trevor for the first time in your arms! That should give you a lot of strength. I know that what I say you might already know, or perhaps you are just plain scared no matter what anyone says. But you will be perfectly fine! Tons of ((((((((HUGS))))))))

Old 09-03-2003, 04:28 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Monday1954 HB User
My first child was delivered by c-section - like you I was scared but things turned out fine.

Here are the upsides to a c-section (my second one was planned and I wasn't taken by surprise)

1. You don't have to go through labor
2. You know what day your baby will be born, so you can plan.
3. I don't know how it feels to have a baby vaginally but the recovery was not bad at all.

On another post I told my entire story, the post is on the question about epidurals.

I did take a prepared c-section class and I still remember the things they told me to do to make recovery easier. These are easy to do, the coughing will take a little practice but you could start today.

1. Move as much as you can - as soon as the feeling returns to your legs, start wiggling them. It can be just moving your foot up and down, bending your knees up and down.
2. Hard as this will seem, it made a tremendous difference in how quickly I returned to normal - when the nurses get you to stand up, stand as straight as you can, this will seem impossible, but try. The sooner you can stand straight (not bent over) the sooner you will be able to walk and feel more normal.
3. The more you get up and move around the quicker your recovery will be.
4. The coughing, take your pillow and hold it tightly against your incision - this is the tricky part, try to clear your throat without actually coughing, this is the one I told you might take a little practice but you can do it. Hold still and try to cough without moving your stomach muscles. The part about trying to clear your throat is as close a description as I can give to the action, you are not really trying to clear your throat but deeper and clear your lungs.

I have told my friends that I have never had a baby vaginally but for me the 2nd c-section was a piece of cake. I went to the dr. that morning, went and got my hair cut, went to Red Lobster for my last good lunch for a few days, checked into the hospital that afternoon. Got up around 5:00, took a shower, fixed my hair, put on makeup and they came to get me around 6:30. I had the catheter put in (the most discomfort I had), got my epidural, felt just great, no pain, no labor to make you tired. My husband and I talked through out the delivery, you can't see anything because they have a sheet pinned so you can't see what is going on. At 7:53 I had what felt like a suction in my stomach and they held up my son. After I went to recovery I came back to my room, called all my friends and felt on top of the world.

I forgot to tell you, when they are closing up you will feel some tugging and pulling - there will also be some slight pain in your chest. Weird, but all of the muscles are connected so you will feel them pulling. There is also the gas problem, any time you have surgery you will have gas, embarrassing but necessary. The more you move, the better able you will be able to deal with the gas pains.

And...............they will give you shots to relieve the pain, I think this is for the first 24 hours, after that you can have pain pills. I am not super woman by any means but I didn't need any pain medication after the 4th day, didn't take any home with me. I don't know if it was all the excitement of having the baby but the pain meds didn't even make me sleepy.

I think I have covered all the basics but if you have any more questions I will try to answer them, a c-section sounds scarier than it is. Best of luck to you.

Old 09-03-2003, 05:49 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kippy6 HB User
I was in your same shoes with my 1st child (except my baby ended up being breech). I went to all my OB appts, and everything was great. I went to my prenatal classes, and they had you talk about your worst fear of delivery. My worst fear was a c-section. I'd never had a single surgery before, not even broken a bone. I'd never even stayed in the hospital before (since the day I was born). So all of this was very scary to me. I just thought having a c-section would be a nightmare. I had read that it is major surgery. If anyone asked me if I was nervous as my delivery date approached, my answer was always, "I'll be fine as long as I don't have to have a c-section." Well, 2 weeks before my due date, the doctor checked me and thought I was breech. Turns out I was, and I was scheduled for a c-section.

Now the c-section wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. I promise. The scary part is really just a fear of the unknown. Once you are actually experiencing the planned c-section, you are laying there on the table thinking, "Wow, this isn't anything like what I thought it would be. This isn't bad at all..." And then voila, your baby is introduced to this world before you have time to think about it anymore.

So many times we all have anxiety over something b/c we have a fear of the unknown. I think you are doing the right thing by talking to others about their experiences w/a planned c-section. This should help ease your mind. It helped me back when I found out I needed one. I wish you all the best for you, your baby, and your family .

------------------
EDD Aug. 19
4th child

Old 09-03-2003, 06:36 AM   #7

~mandy~ HB User
Your doctor is right about not inducing you early, if your cervix isn't ready it won't happen and you could end up with hours of labour just to end up with a section. My question would be why is he so willing to jump right into a c section without alowing you to labour? They can give you gels to soften your cervix and make it more favorable for induction. Unless you have previous history of not being able to deliver large babies than i would talk to your doctor about gels to soften your cervix and trying an induction if the gels work. I've had 3 c sections and the recovery time is weeks instead of days like a vaginal delivery.

Closed Thread