It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2003, 09:34 AM   #1

astrophel HB User
Question sleep

I do not sleep! I am 19 1/2 wks and haven't slept in about 4yrs but it has gotten worse with my pregnancy. Also, I am so affraid of sleeping on my back. I will go to sleep on my side, but wake up on my back. Roll back over on my other side then wake up on my back. Can I sleep on my stomach? I've tried that too but the same thing happens. I used to never be a back sleeper, but after being in a hailo for four months, I had to learn to sleep on my back. I've heard that sleeping on your back can decrease oxygen flow to the fetus, I've also herd that that's not true, but that it's not good for the fetus. I know one thing for sure, it's hard to get up after being on your back. So, can I sleep on my back and if not, how in the world can I get myself to stay on my side?

------------------
'When Nature made her chief work, Stella's eyes,
In colour black why wrapped she beams so bright?'

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2003, 09:52 AM   #2
(female)

slaughter17 HB User
I can't sleep either!!! I am 8 1/2 weeks along and my sleeping pattern is horrible. I can fall asleep fine but I wake up in the middle of the night and cannot fall back to sleep. I end up staying awake until 6 a.m. then I can try again. Sometimes I can fall back to sleep others I just stay awakw until my 2 year old gets up. What is this all about!? I have always slept good, until this pregnacy. All I wanted to do with my first baby was sleep now I can't! help any suggestions? Please. So tired. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/yawn.gif

[This message has been edited by slaughter17 (edited 09-02-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2003, 10:17 AM   #3

lil'momma HB User
Welcome to pregnancy. I'm almost in my 9th month and I haven't been able to sleep that good the entire time. (tossing and turning, hot, thirsty, ging to the bathroom) I think it is just hormones thats all or either just God's way of preparing us for when the baby arrives.(waking up to feed the baby and stuff....lol):]

Old 09-03-2003, 11:29 AM   #4

astrophel HB User
Cool

I'm used to the not sleeping part. I haven't had a full night's sleep for as long as I can remember. Just my nature. However, I'm still curious about what is the best position for the baby while I sleep? This is my first one and I felt so tired at the beginning but couldn't actualy fall asleep. I think that has to one of the wort feelings in the world - dog tired and ready to sleep but no sleep!

------------------
'When Nature made her chief work, Stella's eyes,
In colour black why wrapped she beams so bright?'

Old 09-03-2003, 04:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

crystalll HB User
Smile

Hi,

I'm 39 weeks, and sleep is just a distant memory.

As far as sleep positions go, I would advise to listen to your body. Once you get to a certain point, you will just know enough to roll over. I've also heard that it's a myth that sleeping on your back could affect the baby. There is an artery called the "vena cava" that runs up your back, and the weight of the baby could affect your blood flow (not the baby's). This could cause some numbness and tingling in your legs, feet etc. From what I've read, if this happens you'll subconsciously shift your position.

Also, try to nap as much as possible!

Take care.
Crystal
EDD: Sept 11th

Old 09-03-2003, 07:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

babygrant HB User
What my doctor told me about sleeping on my back was that if your body doesn't get uncomfortable sleeping on your back, then go for it. I didn't really understand what she meant but I do now. Being 18 days till the due date of my baby, I haven't been able to sleep on my back for months. If I do lay on my back there's too much weight and I can't breathe and it's very uncomfy. So at this point, if you are comfy, then lay on your back. I also have a body pillow. I sleep on my side, with my top leg bent at the knee, and resting on the pillow. It's a very comfy position.

Angela

------------------
EDD with baby #1 for hubby and I September 21st, 2003! It's A BOY!

Old 09-03-2003, 07:34 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

chrissy333 HB User
I was getting to the point of not being able to sleep much and I took the advice of many pregnant ladies. I got a body pillow. I sleep on my side (left is best, but I flip several times a night) with the body pillow between my legs and one leg bent and up(like babygrant). I'm kinda hugging the top part of the body pillow. It has made a world of difference! I hope you find what works for you! BTW, I'm 19 1/2 weeks too.
due with #1 Feb 3, 2004 It's a Boy!!!

Closed Thread